Interesting Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 22 of 100123 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 9899100
Author


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:42 pm 
 

harami2000 wrote:
muaddib5 wrote:WHITE DWARF Issue 1 June/July 1977

WHITE DWARF Issue 1 June July 1977 | eBay


Apparently nice copy, but $14 for UK postage (compulsory "Special Delivery"), and a reserve. *gives that a quick check*



[edit] $80+ reserve...


*lol* Just spotted the recent question on the re-listing; http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5244570926



=



And, on-topic, ain't we getting flooded under with Dragons 1, 2, etc., just now? Hopefully not bad timing, Mike... :?

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5625
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Last Visit: Feb 23, 2021
Location: New Hampsha

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:47 pm 
 

I've noticed that auctions for ultra-rare items always seem to bring out the worst in many people.

Let's use our heads here. How many times does it have to be said....BID WHAT YOU ARE WILLING TO PAY. There is absolutely no question that this item comes down to who is willing to pay the most. That being said, who the keeeeeerist cares if some idiot with an Acaeum axe to grind bids up the module a bit? It is going to go very high, we all know that, so be prepared to pay out the ass if you want it. If you're bidding less than $2,000, you will lose. If more, you MIGHT win. If you absolutely HAVE to have it, bid $4,000 and be prepared to pay at least $2,700, because there are a few people (yes, Acaeum members) who will most definitely bid that much.


If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 752
Joined: Jun 29, 2005
Last Visit: Aug 09, 2020
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada, eh?

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:00 pm 
 

improvstone wrote:
1. The bidder has NOT pushed up the price by any excessive levels

2. The Seller has requested the bidder stop bidding under that name

3. If someone wished to remain anonymous so be it




Back! Back foul Logic! Your kind isn't welcome here!



:o



/could re-buy most, if not all, of my collection for what someone's going to pay for this one module

 WWW  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Posts: 1092
Joined: Nov 07, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 23, 2021
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:01 pm 
 

Not an ST1 but.....



Games Workshop Character Sheets (23 of the 50 left - UK auction).



http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... gory=44112



 WWW  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Dec 25, 2019

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:13 pm 
 

GraysonAC wrote:
improvstone wrote:
1. The bidder has NOT pushed up the price by any excessive levels

2. The Seller has requested the bidder stop bidding under that name

3. If someone wished to remain anonymous so be it




Back! Back foul Logic! Your kind isn't welcome here!



:o



/could re-buy most, if not all, of my collection for what someone's going to pay for this one module




Sorry for being illogical and for being 100% careful before I drop $2500.00 on something. Maybe I am poorer then the rest of you, but I can not afford to piss away $2500.00, especially when I am not going to be sure that I didnt have to spend $2500.00 at all. Sorry. :oops: With that being said Improv does make a couple of good points, but I still fail to see any reason by wanting to be "Anonymous". Is someone afraid that we are all going to gang up them and break into their house and steal it??? Or is because like in other mulitmillion dollar auctions that there can be tax implications, or people not wanting others to know their true worth???



I am sorry, but the other thing I find completly annoying about this whole situation is that this is third ST1 that has come up for bid in the last 8 months and all of it turns into all this bullshit secretive backdoor dealing. Why??? What about this module makes everyone so secretive??? Must be me....


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Valuation Board

Posts: 1891
Joined: Nov 16, 2002
Last Visit: Mar 01, 2021
Location: Ohio, The land without sun

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:25 pm 
 

Believe it or not, some people don't want others to know that the have a bunch of extremely valuable items around their home.  Case in point, would you broadcast to the world that you had a $2500.00 diamond ring laying on your bookshelf?  Probably not…



I would also speculate that some collectors are more interested in collecting items than showcasing them for everyone else.



That being said, I still would like to see people submit the price they paid for rare items to the Acaeum, even if it's done anonymously.  That way we can track the value/trend of these items over time.

  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:39 pm 
 

dbartman wrote:That being said, I still would like to see people submit the price they paid for rare items to the Acaeum, even if it's done anonymously. That way we can track the value/trend of these items over time.


Would you propose that be done parallel to the official eBay-based tracking, then, or as a component of the "valuations"?



Yes; a good idea if done honestly, IMO.

(There's nothing to stop me saying I paid $65 for my 1st Chainmail, for example :o).

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 752
Joined: Jun 29, 2005
Last Visit: Aug 09, 2020
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada, eh?

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:48 pm 
 

dbartman wrote:Believe it or not, some people don't want others to know that the have a bunch of extremely valuable items around their home. Case in point, would you broadcast to the world that you had a $2500.00 diamond ring laying on your bookshelf? Probably not…




And I'm sure whoever it was is going to be really enthusiastic to reveal their identity, after this thread.



The sellers has apparently determined for sure that it's not a shill bidder. I'm honestly really surprised at all the venom being thrown around because someone wants to stay anonymous.



Now whoever it is gets to decide whether they want to bid again, using their normal eBay ID, and get blasted by folks here after the auction is over. Whee.

 WWW  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3861
Joined: Feb 21, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 28, 2021
Location: Milford, Michigan

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:49 pm 
 

Wilderness Survival Guide: Nonfiction | eBay



8O


And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

 WWW  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:04 pm 
 



Yeah, I thought the same... :P



Doesn't exactly cheer me up with regards to my blocked bid on http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5233449071. :roll:

  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Valuation Board

Posts: 1891
Joined: Nov 16, 2002
Last Visit: Mar 01, 2021
Location: Ohio, The land without sun

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:08 pm 
 

harami2000 wrote:
dbartman wrote:That being said, I still would like to see people submit the price they paid for rare items to the Acaeum, even if it's done anonymously. That way we can track the value/trend of these items over time.


Would you propose that be done parallel to the official eBay-based tracking, then, or as a component of the "valuations"?



Yes; a good idea if done honestly, IMO.

(There's nothing to stop me saying I paid $65 for my 1st Chainmail, for example :o).




I agree.  There would have to be some type of verification of the amount paid.  Therein lies the problem, especially for an item that comes up infrequently.  One bad apple could spoil the whole lot of them.



If the item could authenticated though, it should be added to the existing list, but the source of the item would need to be documented.

  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Valuation Board

Posts: 1891
Joined: Nov 16, 2002
Last Visit: Mar 01, 2021
Location: Ohio, The land without sun

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:09 pm 
 

harami2000 wrote:


Yeah, I thought the same... :P



Doesn't exactly cheer me up with regards to my blocked bid on http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5233449071. :roll:




Bummer, any reason behind blocking you?  Perhaps you already discussed elsewhere and I missed it.

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Dec 25, 2019

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:23 pm 
 

GraysonAC wrote:
dbartman wrote:Believe it or not, some people don't want others to know that the have a bunch of extremely valuable items around their home. Case in point, would you broadcast to the world that you had a $2500.00 diamond ring laying on your bookshelf? Probably not…




And I'm sure whoever it was is going to be really enthusiastic to reveal their identity, after this thread.



The sellers has apparently determined for sure that it's not a shill bidder. I'm honestly really surprised at all the venom being thrown around because someone wants to stay anonymous.



Now whoever it is gets to decide whether they want to bid again, using their normal eBay ID, and get blasted by folks here after the auction is over. Whee.




I guess that you missed the part where the "anonymous" bidders name is cuattheacaeumboys. I state again, that if someone was really trying to be anonymous they would have chosen an anonymous name.....



With that, this conversation has really been beat to death, lets move on to something more interesting. :)


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:24 pm 
 

dbartman wrote:Bummer, any reason behind blocking you? Perhaps you already discussed elsewhere and I missed it.


I saw the international bids and for some reason presumed a "green light" rather than check, as usual. Evidently I was wrong! :oops:



Presumably sellers can also choose to block on the basis of their stated shipping destination, save for any manually-included individuals?

I asked the seller what the mechanism was for that, for future reference, but they never replied.



(Would be surprised if my bid was the only one to hit that wall...).

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Dec 25, 2019

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:29 pm 
 

harami2000 wrote:
dbartman wrote:Bummer, any reason behind blocking you? Perhaps you already discussed elsewhere and I missed it.


I saw the international bids and for some reason presumed a "green light" rather than check, as usual. Evidently I was wrong! :oops:



Presumably sellers can also choose to block on the basis of their stated shipping destination, save for any manually-included individuals?

I asked the seller what the mechanism was for that, for future reference, but they never replied.



(Would be surprised if my bid was the only one to hit that wall...).




You can set your sellers settings to block bidders outside of your listed shipping destiantions, however, in your sellers options you can also put bidders User IDs that you preapprove to bid on your auction regardless of your other buyer requirements.


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 563
Joined: Aug 08, 2003
Last Visit: Jun 05, 2020
Location: Chicago

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:31 pm 
 

harami2000 wrote:And, on-topic, ain't we getting flooded under with Dragons 1, 2, etc., just now? Hopefully not bad timing, Mike... :?




There has been a few about, but I'm not too worried about the timing. If an item is worth $100, most times it will fetch $100 +/- a few bucks irrespective of whether there have been a few up at the same time.



Perhaps i should have checked to see what the competition was like before listing them, but I'm not too worried. There's a couple of items I'm hoping to bid on coming up next week, so I had a quick check around for any duplicates I could sell to raise some cash.



Regards



Mike

  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:36 pm 
 

dbartman wrote:I agree. There would have to be some type of verification of the amount paid. Therein lies the problem, especially for an item that comes up infrequently. One bad apple could spoil the whole lot of them.



If the item could authenticated though, it should be added to the existing list, but the source of the item would need to be documented.


*nod nods*. But in the case of that $65 1st Chainmail, for example, it would still be problematic deciding what to do if it was verified.



From my perspective any one realisation does not (or should not?) materially affect the consensus value but it can dramatically impact the demonstrated/perceived values and lead to collector mentality over-reactions in both upwards  and downwards directions.

*

("Consensus value" as noted, in passing = what the worth would be if "everyone" got around the table and a valuation was derived working from the higher bids for an appropriate number of individuals according to the likelihood of the item's availability. This is about as close to the "dog" as you can get, I think...).



jm-02-cents, fwiw. :)

  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:42 pm 
 

bclarkie wrote:You can set your sellers settings to block bidders outside of your listed shipping destiantions, however, in your sellers options you can also put bidders User IDs that you preapprove to bid on your auction regardless of your other buyer requirements.


Thank you. That's what I thought. :)

eBay doesn't tell the buyer whether or not the seller's "shipping destination" is also a blocking list. Will remember to keep asking those questions, rather than just presuming...



=



mdr003 wrote:There has been a few about, but I'm not too worried about the timing. If an item is worth $100, most times it will fetch $100 +/- a few bucks irrespective of whether there have been a few up at the same time.


$100 did you say? ;)



Yes, and sometimes it can even increase the interest so long as the demand's strong. Shouldn't be a problem, I trust, with early Dragons.

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Dec 25, 2019

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:43 pm 
 

harami2000 wrote:
dbartman wrote:I agree. There would have to be some type of verification of the amount paid. Therein lies the problem, especially for an item that comes up infrequently. One bad apple could spoil the whole lot of them.



If the item could authenticated though, it should be added to the existing list, but the source of the item would need to be documented.


*nod nods*. But in the case of that $65 1st Chainmail, for example, it would still be problematic deciding what to do if it was verified.



From my perspective any one realisation does not (or should not?) materially affect the consensus value but it can dramatically impact the demonstrated/perceived values and lead to collector mentality over-reactions in both upwards and downwards directions.

*

("Consensus value" as noted, in passing = what the worth would be if "everyone" got around the table and a valuation was derived working from the higher bids for an appropriate number of individuals according to the likelihood of the item's availability. This is about as close to the "dog" as you can get, I think...).



jm-02-cents, fwiw. :)




That is really part of the problem with taking private sales. For one it is difficult enough trying to authenticate the sale, but then you have to consider several other mitigating factors involved in the sale such as how informed are both the bidder and seller and also in especially what happens here alot is one member cuts the other a better deal due to the relationship aspect involved, i.e I sell you my recently acquired 1st print woody(ok ok its in rough shape :oops: ) for $600, but if it someone else who I didnt know wanted to buy it, insisting on say $750.


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:58 pm 
 

bclarkie wrote:That is really part of the problem with taking private sales. For one it is difficult enough trying to authenticate the sale, but then you have to consider several other mitigating factors involved in the sale such as how informed are both the bidder and seller and also in especially what happens here alot is one member cuts the other a better deal due to the relationship aspect involved, i.e I sell you my recently acquired 1st print woody(ok ok its in rough shape :oops: ) for $600, but if it someone else who I didnt know insisting on say $750.


*gives you a probing stare*. You don't need a bigger kiln as well do you, Brian?



Agreed. Many, many factors; and one reason why it's (relatively!) "easy" to go for the eBay realisation-based option!



But neither is that the entire "community" by a long shot.

Using eBay alone, it certainly seems too easy for lower-value items to slump badly for not-so-good reasons (eBay supply > eBay demand, "not big $" = "not fashionable", less likely to be fought over, etc.).

Whereas in a "real life" situation it might be sensible to place a "value" of a few dollars on a mid-50s Dragon and feel like an OK deal with an acquaintance at that price, in eBay terms it's worth mere cents; for whatever reason. (And being unable to dissemble values from large/mixed lots is problematic, too).

  
PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 22 of 100123 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 9899100