Interesting Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 23 of 111123 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:50 pm 

Louise.

Might I suggest cancelling that zero rated bidder. If there is any chance the price goes up because an unknown new bidder may try to interfere, you may find people bid accordingly. You may finf that the end price is lower that it might otherwise be.

Trust me. There is enough money watching your conversations with us on this webpage, even if they haven't bid yet, to really push the price up in the last 10 minutes.

You don't want suspicious new bidders on your auctions.

Ask yourself, how many people never buy a single thing on eBay and then on the day they decide to start decide to bid hundreds of pounds for 24 pages and a cardboard map?

If it were my module, I'd cancel that bid and stick with bidders with some eBay history.

Best of luck.

Ian

Any guesses? Maxwell? Keep? TGE/ETC/Jonb Incarnate?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:01 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:

Trust me. There is enough money watching your conversations with us on this webpage, even if they haven't bid yet, to really push the price up in the last 10 minutes.

Definantly.  There are tons and tons of reputable bidders interested in this type of item where you can afford to pick and choose somewhat.  I have pretty harsh bidder requirements in place on ALL my auctions (which are no where near the value of this particular item) and have never noticed a drop in bid prices.  I like to feel that sometimes I may get a bit better price just because people feel like I keep my auctions clean of the riff-raff (although it's getting harder and harder to do, the riff-raff segment of the collecting population must be growing)  

Good Luck!  I'd like to throw in a bid myself just for kicks, but it would be a waste of a bid increment since I'm certain I can't bid to win on this one.  ;)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:29 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:

Any guesses? Maxwell? Keep? TGE/ETC/Jonb Incarnate?

Ian, there are only 1,maybe 2, people that I can think of that could be so pathetic as to do this. And you have both of them listed, and 1 of them is not jonb. The other one that I would even have a hard time beleiving is maxwell. Maxwell is a bit of a lose cannon, but I don't think that he would even expend the effort to create a fake name and f*ck with someone unaffiliated with the site. Truthfully the only person that I can think of really that would be so pathetic as to stoop to that level is our good freinf keeponthebirderlands. Based on not so freindly email conversations with him in the past, this kind of pathetic activity is something right up his alley. No matter who it is may be one of the most pathetic low life people I have ever seen. As a matter of fact I actually let them know that directly. Here is the email I just sent through EBay:

bclarkie wrote:In case you havent read this on the site yet whoever you are. Could you be any more of a pathetic loser??? If you have a problem with anyone on the Acaeum or everyone for that matter, why dont you at least have the balls to post on the site tell us who you are and what you think rather than hide behind your fake pussy ass name and take out your obvious inferiority complex on some poor person who has nothing to do with us. I have seen som low people in this world in my life, but man you may be one of the lowest. How pathetic can one person be, apparently more pathetic then I realized.

What a freakin loser. :evil: :roll:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:33 pm 

I think it's Maxwell with his Silver Hammer.

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:34 pm 

eBay claims he's from PA, if that helps.  I'm sure that could be easily faked.  I'd recommend blocking his bids, and putting some stringent bidding requirements up.  I'm surprised they don't have a "no bidders with less than X feedback" option, but you could add a little note in the auction description, I suppose.   :?   If they don't pay up, you could always offer it to someone else down the list, but this is really abhorrent behaviour.  :evil:

YIM  

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:36 pm 

Thanks for the advice; I understand the concerns here now.  However correspondence took place before the bid was placed and I am satisfied that the bid is from a genuine buyer with an excellent Ebay record (and therefore a reputation to lose) and a desire for temporary anonymity.

While I can see that this is not necessarily a perfect situation from the point of view of other bidders I'm happy that there is no risk of spoiler bidding in this case and any bids he/she makes will be honoured.   I don't therefore have any grounds on which to cancel the bid.  

I would hope that this provides reassurance that this is a normal bid and there has been no attempt at interference in the auction.

Louise

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:37 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:eBay claims he's from PA, if that helps. I'm sure that could be easily faked. I'd recommend blocking his bids, and putting some stringent bidding requirements up. I'm surprised they don't have a "no bidders with less than X feedback" option, but you could add a little note in the auction description, I suppose.  :?  If they don't pay up, you could always offer it to someone else down the list, but this is really abhorrent behaviour. :evil:

It is really not that difficult to set up a fake account on EBay from anywhere in the US.  Most people who actually shill their own auctions are usually to lazy or ignorant to set it up with something that they are familiar with, but truthfully I could set up 50 fake EBay accounts for each state.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:40 pm 

louise49h wrote:Thanks for the advice; I understand the concerns here now. However correspondence took place before the bid was placed and I am satisfied that the bid is from a genuine buyer with an excellent Ebay record (and therefore a reputation to lose) and a desire for temporary anonymity.

Louise, seriously, why would someone be losing their reputation if they bid under their real EBay name?  None at all.  The person is taking you for a ride....

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:41 pm 

louise49h wrote:Thanks for the advice; I understand the concerns here now. However correspondence took place before the bid was placed and I am satisfied that the bid is from a genuine buyer with an excellent Ebay record (and therefore a reputation to lose) and a desire for temporary anonymity.

Guess the C U really means they may well be one of the bigger players from here.

Though Louise, personally if I did have the money to bid on the item, I wouldn't now because of this buyer (though this maybe what they are hoping).

Curiouser & curiouser said Alice.

Mount Celestia doesn't want me and Baator's afraid I'll take over.

Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad at the door, Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad, Take one down, they gate in two more, Ninty-nine Blue and Green Slaad at the door...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:48 pm 

While I can see that this is not necessarily a perfect situation from the point of view of other bidders I'm happy that there is no risk of spoiler bidding in this case and any bids he/she makes will be honoured. I don't therefore have any grounds on which to cancel the bid.

I would hope that this provides reassurance that this is a normal bid and there has been no attempt at interference in the auction.

Louise

Another reason why I think the person is full of shit is because if they were "HONESTLY" trying to remain annonymus, they would have picked a much less obvious name then cuattheacaeumboys. It is obvious that "whoever" it is is trying to piss in our face and I dare someone to prove me wrong.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:09 pm 

While I can see that this is not necessarily a perfect situation from the point of view of other bidders I'm happy that there is no risk of spoiler bidding in this case and any bids he/she makes will be honoured.  I don't therefore have any grounds on which to cancel the bid.

Louise

This might seem obvious - but you're sure it's actually someone from here? They used this site's PM system to contact you? That's about the only way I can think of that they could verify who they are.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:14 pm 

GraysonAC wrote:

While I can see that this is not necessarily a perfect situation from the point of view of other bidders I'm happy that there is no risk of spoiler bidding in this case and any bids he/she makes will be honoured. I don't therefore have any grounds on which to cancel the bid.

Louise

This might seem obvious - but you're sure it's actually someone from here? They used this site's PM system to contact you? That's about the only way I can think of that they could verify who they are.

First the imfamous and still annonymus "I will give you 30 pounds for it" and also now the seemingly ficticious cuattheacaeum bidder, could this auction have turned any more shady than it now is??? I will guarentee that any hope of me participating in this auction is now gone. I wasnt planning on it due to financial constraints, but then again I have been known to change my mind on a whim, but that is all out the door now.  Truth of the matter is, I do not know what would be worse, if it is actually a fake bidder or if it is actually someone here hiding behind a fake name......

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:30 pm 

Ok.  I have to say that wanting to remain anonymous in an auction has a long and not particularly shady history.  I don't consider the request to use a new username is particularly unreasonable; collectors are entitled to keep their purchases hidden if they wish.

However there are clearly some genuine concerns here, possibly due to histories involving these type of items.  This clearly has the potential to affect the auction adversely.    I will not remove the current bid which was made with my agreement, but I have asked the bidder not to make any further bids under that username.

Louise

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:41 pm 

louise49h wrote:Ok. I have to say that wanting to remain anonymous in an auction has a long and not particularly shady history. I don't consider the request to use a new username is particularly unreasonable; collectors are entitled to keep their purchases hidden if they wish.

However there are clearly some genuine concerns here, possibly due to histories involving these type of items. This clearly has the potential to affect the auction adversely. I will not remove the current bid which was made with my agreement, but I have asked the bidder not to make any further bids under that username.

Louise

You are absolutely right about people wanting to hide their purchases in some auctions, but we are not talking about an auction that is going to go into the millions here, we are talking about an auction that might exceed $2000.00. I am not sure why someone would feel the need to remain annonymus, unless they were truely trying to adversely affected the auction total. Like I said before, someone who was really trying to remain annonymus would have not chosen the name cuattheacaeumboys, they would have selected something far less attention grabbing to the people who were paying attention the most, kind of like johnsmith1234.

And althought I kind of beat around the bush before in regards to this, in case you hadn't realized the person who offered you 30 pounds was basically trying to steal this item from you.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:14 pm 

isnt it sad when things like this happen?

for once (yay i hear) i am going to keep my comments to myself. if louise feels justified with her actions and wants to take a risk, then cool girl, go for it.

i for myself had one final bid to throw. i have quoted the figure for this before, but now i will not do so on my own principles.

good luck to the rest of y'all tho. its always fun n games to watch, tho not necessarily for the right reasons!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:17 pm 

bclarkie wrote:And althought I kind of beat around the bush before in regards to this, in case you hadn't realized the person who offered you 30 pounds was basically trying to steal this item from you.

Brian gets really upset about these sorts of things, and I can't say I blame him.  Anyone bidding less than 300 pounds (including myself, but what can I say, I'm poor/cheap/evil.) was trying to "steal" this one.   :wink:  

With regards to whether the mystery bidder was a genuine Acaeum member or not, I'll volunteer my services as an intermediary.  I certainly can't afford to bid higher, and I don't really have a vested interest here.  Simply send me a PM, and I'll post to this thread that you're legit without actually identifying you in any way.

(I very much doubt someone will take me up on this, but hey, I can say I tried.)

YIM  

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:03 pm 

Louise

If you dont have it already, ask the bidder for his alternate I.D. Contact them directly here on the forum via PM. Then you can be assured if he is for real or not. That would end all the suspicions, as you could then assure everyone he is legit.

Until then, I have to agree that it sure is a strange way to bid.

Mike

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:17 pm 

it is of course for louise to decide what`s best for her auctions. i was going to bid, and bid high on this auction until a zero rated bidder with a curious name chimed in. i don`t really like ebay to begin with, and much prefer live auctions, but there are some things (like the rjk auctions) where i have no choice. and obviously one of the things i really don`t like are people who have no intention of winning/paying driving the price up i have to pay for something. at this point i don`t know what i`m going to. i just thought i`d throw in my .02

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 23 of 111123 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 109110111