Interesting Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 93 of 111123 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94 ... 109110111
Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:22 am 

carl3369 wrote:I would also say that buying gaming items cannot be up there in even the top 10 best investment ideas!

Top 10 is being too kind. "Investing" in D&D collectibles wouldn't make the list of top one hundred investment strategies. Really, the same goes for any sort of collectibles investing — just ask that guy you know who used to run that comic book store. You know the guy; he's the assistant manager at Burger King now.

Mutual funds, stocks, T-Bills, CDs, IRA's, maxed-out 401Ks, real estate, home improvements, etc., etc. — just about any traditional form of investment is a better idea than hoping the value of ST1 doesn't go into the toilet. Hell, even a run-of-the-mill savings account that pays 2 percent has some form of guaranteed return.

I don't mind anyone making a few dollars off what is essentially a harmless (and fun) hobby. But let's call it like it is: D&D collecting is a wonderful form of nostalgia, but hardly a sound investment strategy.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:10 am 

WHat what what?  I'ma gonna get rich you bastiches!  Yeah, one day my beat up old Moldvay BD&D booklet will be worth something and then my kids'll.  Wait, why are you laughing?  Shaddap!  I'm serious here!

:lol:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:12 am 

carl3369 wrote: (Killjoys mate who has 30+ ST1s is a case in point) but really, are old D&D items really going to get you the best returns in the long (or any) term?

wahay even the figure appreciates in value too!!! :D

its 15 and my biz mate has one too (which wont get sold either)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:14 am 

DungeonDelver wrote:WHat what what? I'ma gonna get rich you bastiches! Yeah, one day my beat up old Moldvay BD&D booklet will be worth something and then my kids'll. Wait, why are you laughing? Shaddap! I'm serious here!

:lol:

i have some stuff which i buy and sell and other stuff which i collect. that wont go anywhere and have already told the kids that when i pass on, its to be shared between them and they can do what they want with it. but in the meantime its all miiiiiiiiiine.

my funnest things that i have tho are still my looney tunes comics from 1961 :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:25 am 

Al, why is he sitting on the case of 15?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:39 am 

I am no investor.  I use my collection.  I do think, however, that most of us also share a concern for finding and preserving the history of RPG's.  If we don't respect our shared cultural niche then who will?  :?

Creep1962 proclaiming that he left real estate investing and now wants to dominate the game collecting market is just silly.  What market?  EBay is an international marketplace, and yet the list of major RPG sellers adds up to about...what...20?  Some people are making money, but they ain't nobody gettin' rich.   :x

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:37 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:Al, why is he sitting on the case of 15?

frank, his words (told to me through my biz mate who knows him personally) and i quote "i am holding onto them for a rainy day, close to my retirement. when i need some money i will sell one"

i already tried to buy one and got quickly turned down flat :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:18 pm 

Okay Al this is what we do.  You get his address, I'll hop over the pond and you and I will go to his house and pull a double Killjoy Technique.  I'll grab 3 copies (one for bclarkie) I'll hop on your back and you run like hell.

Martin

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:30 pm 

Ah, see, this is what I was saying, Al. They are a nest egg. I'm sure it will be ages before they even hit the market. So they sit in a box somewhere and collect dust. A shame.
Don't get me wrong, they are his and he is obviously free to do whatever he likes with them. I'm not a rare collector anymore so it doesn't affect me in the least. It's just unfortunate that there are tons of other items just like his that will sit in non-collectors' possession for God knows how long.
His box brings up a good point. Obviously not all of the remainders were pulped (I'm sure he didn't buy a BOX of them at the fair). I think it is a strong possibility that there are other cases of 15 out there on the island somewhere, which would put the rarity of ST1 below that of Fazzle/Inverness/Tamo.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:53 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:There will be no more cheap rares. The field is saturated with moneyed collectors at this point. I just thank my lucky stars I got in years ago.
When I cut loose most of my rares, I tried to work out private deals, for two reasons. One is that money is not a huge issue for me, I won't be taking it to the dirt nap and I have enough to be comfortable. Two is that I have no control over who gets the items. Everything I sold went to long-time collectors who had no intentions of reselling them in the near future, and that was my goal. Not because I don't want to see anyone make a profit, but because I remember the way things USED to be, when people collected for the joy of owning an item. I've seen so many rares disappear into the woodworks that it turns my stomach. Many of them are sitting in bank vaults as an investment, and in a field as esoteric as ours, it hurts us as a whole when someone buys up an ST1 to hang on to it for 10 years and hope it increases in value.
Hence my decision to sit on the 2nd print woody for a bit. It will never hit eBay. I would either trade it for something I'd like to have, or I will give it away.

Sage words.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:07 pm 

Pretty nice looking set of monochrom G-series mods (though not 1st print), but it's the ebay id of the current high bidder that's really cool:

AD D ADVANCED DUNGEONS DRAGONS MODULE SET G1 G3 | eBay

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:24 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:which would put the rarity of ST1 below that of Fazzle/Inverness/Tamo.

Thought we already knew that to be the case, Frank ;)

(Agreed with those comments of your's at the foot of the previous page, of course...
Yeah, but on the one above, who even confirmed there were any remaindered ST1s?).

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:37 pm 

faro wrote:Yeah, but on the one above, who even confirmed there were any remaindered ST1s?).

david, you on about the box i mentioned or others? the one i mentioned, i have absolutely no doubt whatsoever of the validity of it. my mate works in a job where his honesty is paramount (i cant tell you what he does) and he literally has letters validating this!! he knows the guy personally and has done so for like 20+ yrs. from what i can remember, the guy picked em up at the end of the festival when they didnt hardly sell at all and got em real cheap.

all i can say, is that if he did that, i would be immensely surprised if others were not picked up in the same way.

guess there is no real way of knowing unless they suddenly come out of the woodwork somehow.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:51 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
faro wrote:Yeah, but on the one above, who even confirmed there were any remaindered ST1s?).

david, you on about the box i mentioned or others? the one i mentioned, i have absolutely no doubt whatsoever of the validity of it. my mate works in a job where his honesty is paramount (i cant tell you what he does) and he literally has letters validating this!! he knows the guy personally and has done so for like 20+ yrs. from what i can remember, the guy picked em up at the end of the festival when they didnt hardly sell at all and got em real cheap.

That's what I was aiming at (for those sold, there).
They were as likely to be flogged off cheap, rather than remaindered and/or pulped; and if that end-date for sales at the Garden Festival was before Games Day, any spares were as likely to head in that direction.

More were sold at Games Day, though, judging by the numbers coming back to my university anyhow.

killjoy32 wrote:all i can say, is that if he did that, i would be immensely surprised if others were not picked up in the same way.

guess there is no real way of knowing unless they suddenly come out of the woodwork somehow.

Have already made clear my thoughts on the current "value" placed on that mod. And those still haven't stopped people bidding higher! :)

Cheers, Al.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:57 pm 

faro wrote:Have already made clear my thoughts on the current "value" placed on that mod. And those still haven't stopped people bidding higher! :)

Cheers, Al.

yeah no probs chummer....in fact i almost had a moment of madness buying one but am very glad i didnt anyway really, as the mod is shite. i would have only wanted to read it anyhow and i dont understand its value tbh. the other rares imo are far more interesting.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:12 pm 

faro wrote:They were as likely to be flogged off cheap, rather than remaindered and/or pulped; and if that end-date for sales at the Garden Festival was before Games Day, any spares were as likely to head in that direction.

Flogged off cheap....  I love it!  Would that be like whipping folks with a cat o' nine tails to buy them?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:25 pm 

a2jeff wrote:
faro wrote:They were as likely to be flogged off cheap, rather than remaindered and/or pulped; and if that end-date for sales at the Garden Festival was before Games Day, any spares were as likely to head in that direction.

Flogged off cheap.... I love it! Would that be like whipping folks with a cat o' nine tails to buy them?

More likely a bunch of daffodils. :lol:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:11 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8763679416

R1 and 2 in this lot.

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 93 of 111123 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94 ... 109110111