Interesting Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 92 of 111123 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93 ... 109110111
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:57 am 

Does anyone know anything about these [never mind]?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:09 am 

damn i was hoping nobody would see them :)

tsk :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:29 am 

killjoy32 wrote:

See what? Might want to edit your reply... :twisted:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:14 am 

bombadil wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:

See what? Might want to edit your reply... :twisted:

quite :) moooooooove along now....nothing to see at all....

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:14 am 

Miniatures have never been something I follow close enough. Are these something that might be of value down the road as they are metal at least. Seller has a number of different types of miniatures.

Snake and Mongoose Set: Cars, Trucks & Vans | eBay

While I am posting I may as well ask about these as well.

Attack Eagle Games | eBay

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:22 am 

Anyone want to guess what possum_racer's woody will go for today?

Already over $200.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:48 pm 

re. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8760796481
bombadil wrote:Anyone want to guess what possum_racer's woody will go for today?

Already over $200.

What was that you said yesterday, Stephen?
"I've noticed the heavies tend (usually) to go for about twice what the highest bid is with around 6 hours left in the auction"

Nah, I doubt it this time... ;)

Was only 50% over the "6 hour" price on the somewhat worn, insect damaged, missing pages, missing ref. sheets 2nd;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8755613265

=
aside: Has anyone checked to see whether there's a price correction at the back of the M&M?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:00 pm 

The Chainmail miniatures from the failed WotC D&D miniatures game are pretty common and cheap to find.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:21 pm 

faro wrote:

Me too.  I'm not even going to venture a guess until 16:16:20 Pacific Standard Time today.

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:06 pm 

VermilionFire wrote:The Chainmail miniatures from the failed WotC D&D miniatures game are pretty common and cheap to find.

There actually is some variation, depending on how early the miniature showed up in the product line. The first wave of miniatures are easy to find, but the last ones are somewhat rare.

For example, I see Human Female Paladin blisters everywhere, but it's rather hard to track down the Half-Orc Assassin, Human Templar, Paladin of Stratis, and other figures that came out near the end of the game's life. I believe that the last few sets of figures were printed in very small numbers.

Will they ever be collectible? I'm really not sure. The older figures don't show up on eBay too often, and they seem to fetch half-decent prices. I think that Chainmail simply has too few fans for it to be a big collectible.

On the other hand, I'm not about to sell off the unreleased clay golem I have, or the paint masters, or my nearly complete set.  :D

Mike Mearls
RPG Developer, Wizards of the Coast

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:52 pm 

bombadil wrote:
faro wrote:re. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8760796481

What was that you said yesterday, Stephen?
"I've noticed the heavies tend (usually) to go for about twice what the highest bid is with around 6 hours left in the auction"
Was only 50% over the "6 hour" price on the somewhat worn, insect damaged, missing pages, missing ref. sheets 2nd;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8755613265
=
aside: Has anyone checked to see whether there's a price correction at the back of the M&M?

Me too. I'm not even going to venture a guess until 16:16:20 Pacific Standard Time today.

OK. I understood the previous auction, but could the underbidder please explain this latest ($351).

Why....?? :o :?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:01 pm 

since you must know, i was going to give it to my gm for 23 years of a wonderful campaign as a birthday present.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:15 pm 

stratochamp wrote:since you must know, i was going to give it to my gm for 23 years of a wonderful campaign as a birthday present.

These prices are just getting very silly, it feels :(

Can't see any way a newcomer to the D&D collecting arena can even hope to pick up even a 3rd/4th-rate woodgrain through "visible" channels (i.e. eBay) without sinking a huge chunk of money into their "investment". (And that's not a word I like to see, either... :?)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:14 pm 

There will be no more cheap rares. The field is saturated with moneyed collectors at this point. I just thank my lucky stars I got in years ago.
When I cut loose most of my rares, I tried to work out private deals, for two reasons. One is that money is not a huge issue for me, I won't be taking it to the dirt nap and I have enough to be comfortable. Two is that I have no control over who gets the items. Everything I sold went to long-time collectors who had no intentions of reselling them in the near future, and that was my goal. Not because I don't want to see anyone make a profit, but because I remember the way things USED to be, when people collected for the joy of owning an item. I've seen so many rares disappear into the woodworks that it turns my stomach. Many of them are sitting in bank vaults as an investment, and in a field as esoteric as ours, it hurts us as a whole when someone buys up an ST1 to hang on to it for 10 years and hope it increases in value.
Hence my decision to sit on the 2nd print woody for a bit. It will never hit eBay. I would either trade it for something I'd like to have, or I will give it away.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:10 pm 

Do you really see many people buying rare D&D paraphernalia as investments?  I'm sure there are some people speculating (creep, for instance) but I have a hard time believing, or perhaps I just don't want to believe, that its very wide spread.

I prefer to believe, perhaps nievely, that the rising prices are largely the result of a maturing fan base.  I have no evidence for this, other than my own situation.  I grew up in the late 70's and early 80's and even though I loved the game I couldn't afford to buy more than a book every two or three months.  As I grew older, and there were other demands on my time and bank account (university, girls, apartments, cars, etc.) I had to put most of my hobbies on the back burner.  However over the last couple of years I've reached a point of stablity in my life where I have the time and money to spend on non-essentials.   I've seen a similar evolution in many of my friends, not in regards to D&D collecting but just in general.  People of my generation have far more time and money now than we did 5-10 years ago.  It makes sense to want to relive some of the highlights of our childhood.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:37 pm 

I feel that what netrodent has to say is very true - surely the majority of people buying the rares are those who really want to own them. To own a piece of the history of the hobby we love is a wonderful thing - and its true to say that many people who were there at 'the beginning' of RPGs as we know them are now in a financial position to throw money at this stuff.
I would also say that buying gaming items cannot be up there in even the top 10 best investment ideas! Yes, I know that some have appreciating assets (Killjoys mate who has 30+ ST1s is a case in point) but really, are old D&D items really going to get you the best returns in the long (or any) term?
If you are in a position to buy these things then do so , and enjoy them, but don't look at it as a retirement fund.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:39 pm 

(~15, IIRC ;))

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:11 am 

If anyone is buying D&D stuff as an investment then they've draught one too many potions of delusion.  I think it's nostalgia for most of us; we're buying our childhoods because now we have lots more money to do it than back when we had to beg our parents or work for meager sums for money to buy just one module.  There might be some speculators, but I think most of us throw so much money around because of a love for the game.  D&D is simply a great game, arguably the best ever.  

Thanks to Mearls for setting me straight on Chainmail minis that some of the last sets are hard to find and hence may become valuable.

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 92 of 111123 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93 ... 109110111