Advice please
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:27 am 

Ok, first of all I admit it's my own fault for not requesting tracking/insurance.  I won an auction just over 4 weeks ago from overseas (UK), and the seller noted the day after I won/paid that he had posted it, yet it still hasn't arrived.  Maybe I'm being premature here and just need to wait it out a while longer, I'm not sure.  I'm getting a little jumpy, though, it was a good win. ;)

The seller has a 100% feedback rating, so I'm not suspecting any foul play on his part.  In fact the seller has several feedback suggesting he is swift with shipping.  It doesn't seem right to do a chargeback, or leave negative/neutral feedback, or request a refund if he's done nothing wrong on his end.

Of course, from my perspective, I have no way of knowing that he isn't an evil mastermind holding onto the lot and pretending to send it, or that wild dogs didn't rip the package apart on my front porch, for that matter.  All I know for sure is that I paid and it hasn't shown up.  I don't think it's a good idea to leave positive feedback for something that I didn't receive.

I've just contacted the seller asking him to confirm that it was shipped on the date he mentioned, which is of course the first step.  What further steps, if any, should I take?  Opinions please!

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:35 am 

Did you have it sent surface mail?  If so, it could take 6 weeks from the UK.  I'm in the same boat, still waiting on this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:40 am 

afoolandhis$ wrote:Did you have it sent surface mail? If so, it could take 6 weeks from the UK. I'm in the same boat, still waiting on this one:

Wow.  I knew surface could be slow, but I didn't know it was that slow.  Might literally be on the same boat.  :)

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:01 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:
afoolandhis$ wrote:Did you have it sent surface mail? If so, it could take 6 weeks from the UK. I'm in the same boat, still waiting on this one:

Wow. I knew surface could be slow, but I didn't know it was that slow. Might literally be on the same boat. :)

hey folks! deim yeah chummer, surface takes six weeks from here. its the only other option of shipping we have other than airmail. our postal service sucks for options. lots of high price ones to get things there in like 2 minutes, but for budget ones, we have just surface, which is pretty much our equivalent of almost m-bags i guess....

if its heavyish what youre waiting for, it would have no doubt been sent that way. if the shipping you paid was  a LOT, it would have been airmail.

Al

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:07 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
deimos3428 wrote:
Wow. I knew surface could be slow, but I didn't know it was that slow. Might literally be on the same boat. :)

hey folks! deim yeah chummer, surface takes six weeks from here. its the only other option of shipping we have other than airmail. our postal service sucks for options. lots of high price ones to get things there in like 2 minutes, but for budget ones, we have just surface, which is pretty much our equivalent of almost m-bags i guess....

if its heavyish what youre waiting for, it would have no doubt been sent that way. if the shipping you paid was a LOT, it would have been airmail.

Al

Well, the seller didn't specify, and I didn't ask.  I didn't pay a fortune, and it was semi-heavy, so presumably it's surface.  I'll give it 3 more weeks.

Still leaves the theoretical question for discussion, though....should it never arrive, what would you do?

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:12 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:the theoretical question for discussion, though....should it never arrive, what would you do?

well deim just so you know in the future, if you get anything from the UK and it weighs more than 2KG packed, it can ONLY be sent via surface mail, and that method of shipping cannot be tracked either.

its the sellers responsibility to refund you no matter what happens with your parcel. until it arrives at your door, its their responsibility. he/she will need to make a claim to the postal service for a lost item. if you DONT have insurance, the most you can claim is £28.00. but in the end, they have to put the matter right, not you. there is nothing you can do about it.

i personally would give them the option to come through with the stuff. if he doesnt then you can always do a chargeback.

Al

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:49 pm 

Information concerning Royal Mail suface mail delivery times, compensation, and customs declaration.

Royal Mail | Royal Mail Group Ltd

From experience to post a document or package to Canada, and the USA the items usually takes 4-6 weeks to arrive in Britain and vice versa with surface mail, if there are no complications from the customs or external circumstances such as air traffic controller/ baggage handlers strikes. Unfortunately the sender can only claim upto Thirty Pounds in compensation for surface mail, if the package gets lost or damaged.

It would be advisable to be patient and wait for another month or so, but keep into communication with the seller as you stated. Also check with your Post Office to see whether the postman hadn't previously tried to deliver the package, and never left a calling card.  

Shane.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:51 pm 

Thanks for all the info, guys! :)

YIM  

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:30 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:Wow. I knew surface could be slow, but I didn't know it was that slow.

IIRC ~3 1/2 months is about the slowest I've received via transatlantic surface mail.

Quickest was about 3-4 days (re-routing via airmail, in error, is quite common from the U.S.).

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:43 am 

Our Postal Service quote an aimed for delivery time of within 8 weeks for Surface Mail outside of Europe (4-6 weeks is about normal in my experience).  My Post Office have a "within 3 months" on their notes, so I suspect the Post Office won't start to "worry" until at least 4-5 months have passed!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:55 am 

Yes, you really need to set your expectations at totally unreasonable shipping times for surface mail.  That is why buyers don't want to believe it could still be in transit after 2 months have passed (and why I don't offer it unless a buyer shows are complete understanding of the possible time they will have to wait).  

The packages go to a "waiting" area where they are kept until more packages arrive.  When there are enough, then they are all put on a ship and transported overseas.  (The postal service is obviously purchasing a section of "hold" space that they want to fill so that their costs are minimized).  Thus, you might get lucky and your package is  one of the last to arrive (and so it gets shipped relatively quickly)  . . . or you might be very unlucky and have your package sit for months before enough other packages arrive to merit cargo space.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:49 am 

Received a response from the seller that he sent it by something called "Parcelforce" and that it would take 6-10 weeks to arrive.

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:56 am 

Received a response from the seller that he sent it by something called "Parcelforce" and that it would take 6-10 weeks to arrive.

Courier Services and Parcel Delivery - UK and International - Parcelforce Worldwide

Parcel force is part of/affiliated with the RM if I understand it correctly.

Mount Celestia doesn't want me and Baator's afraid I'll take over.

Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad at the door, Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad, Take one down, they gate in two more, Ninty-nine Blue and Green Slaad at the door...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:04 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:

hey chummer, just checked that auction description. the "standard parcels" that it quotes, is for the UK only. its a parcel equivalent of sending a letter round here. its not actually "parcelforce", although most ppl think it is. the two standard ways to send worldwide are surface mail and Airmail. thats it. you can have more, but they are all expensive jobbies, such as TNT, parcelforce, FedEX blah blah blah.....

i personally think it was sent just normal surface mail. if it was sent parcelforce, it would have been pretty damn expensive for your books and you would have had them within 5 days or so....

Al

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:45 am 

I have had stuff take up to 2 months to get to mainland Europe and South America. Buyers get real nasty - and they demanded the cheapest shipping possible.

That is why I only ship via global priority mail now to anything overseas or south of Texas. I have a several negs from non-US buyers who prematurally freaked. Even after they got their stuff - they actually took the time to email an apology - but never retracted their neg (no matter how many times I asked and even copied their email to Ebay).

Notable problem countries: Brazil, Spain, Italy and France.

Never a problem: UK, Australia, Germany and Canada.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:08 am 

bbarsh wrote:
Never a problem: UK, Australia, Germany and Canada.

yea us UK peeps rock - well most do anyway :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:50 pm 

Yep, I don't offer surface shipping to international folks either. It's just *not* worth the hassle. If someone asks, and I get a chance to point out very strongly that it's at least 4-6 weeks, somtimes 8, and they've got good FB, then I'll ship surface. Otherwise, it's too risky.