Notched modules
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 6:26 pm 

Does anyone have any info on why TSR or its distributors "notched" modules?  Thanks. :D Adam

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 7:15 pm 

Hey Adam, I bought a tenth anniversary module pack(not the boxed set) back in the good ole days and all of the modules it contained were factory notched. I think they did this to prevent stores from opening the packs and selling the modules seperately. Hope this helps.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 7:27 pm 

I had just heard this same think about the combo packs. I was wondering what other circumstances there were for these notches.  Is your combo pack still in original shrink Devon?  Later. Adam

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:31 pm 

No it's not in the shrink. :cry:  I wasn't collecting back then, just playing, so all of those modules are show plenty of wear. If I only knew.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:39 pm 

Do we happen to have your 10th Anniversary pack listed on the site?  There seems to be a few packs out there that we don't have.  Foul

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:14 pm 

Here is a pack you dont have listed yet:   http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... egory=2545

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:34 pm 

Howdy,  A long time ago, on a newsgroup far, far away....I was told by two ex-TSR employees that those punches were used to mark overstock returns. Myself and others, Mike Cox of Dragon's Trove for example, have referred to them as "overstock nicks" since '95 or so.  It makes sense that the 10th Anniversary sets have overstock nicks as they were an attempt to liquidate stockpiles of modules. Especially with 2nd edition looming on the horizon (at the time).  Futures Bright,  Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 1:43 am 

chromaticknight wrote:Here is a pack you dont have listed yet:   http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... egory=2545

Oh, I saw it.  :)  Matter of fact, I already sent the seller a nasty e-mail for prematurely ending the auction to a buyout offer.  The seller's story is that his brother opened the shrinkwrap on this set, and that's why he yanked the auction.

Right.  

Foul

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 5:57 am 

In the UK, I used to often buy science fiction/fantasy novels from American printers in the bargain bin at supermarkets. (I think there is a funny law regarding sales of novels here and in the USA).  These were all notched in the corner.  As stated above, I think it was something to do with overruns or cheap stocks.  Cheers, Malcolm

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 5:20 pm 

Is it possible the only modules with notches were inserted into those 10th anniversary combo packs? Does anyone have individual mods in SW with notches in them?  Thanks. Adam

Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 07, 2003 1:46 pm 

Adam Shultz wrote:Is it possible the only modules with notches were inserted into those 10th anniversary combo packs? Does anyone have individual mods in SW with notches in them?
 I think that unlikely.  I bought a number of shrinkwrapped modules from Tom Moldvay a couple of years ago, from his private stash.  A few of them are notched.  I've heard the notches called "inventory notches" on a couple of occasions.  My theory is that it was done to mark stock that had already been counted during a physical inventory.

Verbose Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed May 07, 2003 9:25 pm 

I would agree that the notching was typically done to indicate that the item(s) had been returned/restocked.  These item were then typically resold at a reduced price or bundled.  This would also explain why the 10th anniversary modules contained this notch.