How to spot original shrink-wrap vs. fake...
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2016 2:55 pm 

Ok... Out of curiosity... I recently purchased a copy of Al-Qadim, shrink wrapped, from a local store that I know to be reputable. Now, is there any way to tell if it is genuine SW or if it has been re-wrapped? The box itself is immaculate, leading me to believe that it is original, but I would like any tips. Thanks!

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:15 pm 

Chances are, if the SW looks professional and the item is in pristine condition, it's probably original SW.  If there is any wear inside the SW, then beware.  Dents, dings, crinkles, warping, rust, and/or stress cracks can all be legitimate and the SW still be original.  Rubbing, wear, and/or dirt on the finish are usually signs that the item has been "re-shrinkwrapped".

This has been discussed quite a few times over the years.  Here are some helpful threads on the topic:

Judging Shrinkwrap

How to spot original shrink-wrap vs. fake...

Original shrink wrap opionin needed

Re: Shrinkwrapped Duty and Deity - fake or not?

The shrink wrap issue (Dark & Hidden Ways: New Records)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:05 am 

Looking it over again, it looks legit. I'll post a pic as soon as I can get it down to a size the site will accept. Apparently my phone takes pics that are too big to handle.

EDIT:
Posted photos now.
Attachment:
Al Qadim Front.jpg

Attachment:
Al Qadim Back.jpg

Attachment:
Al Qadim Side.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:08 am 

That's a tough one to assess from the pictures.  There is damage to the one corner, and some wear to the corners that is not indicative of a box set being in the original SW.  It's possible that just from being knocked around and crushed on the one corner, this damage was done while the SW was still on.  The fact that it has the breather holes in the SW does lean towards it being legitimate and the SW is fairly tight though.

Although this looks to be in really good condition, this example does demonstrate how SW doesn't guaranteed the condition of the item inside.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:53 am 

dbartman wrote in How to spot original shrink-wrap vs. fake...: .... Dents, dings, crinkles, warping, rust, and/or stress cracks can all be legitimate and the SW still be original.  ...

Opening shrinkwrapped items, especially shrinked boxes, to find that staples have rusted is miserable but in my experience quite common. < super-duper-sadface >

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2016 12:35 pm 

red_bus wrote in How to spot original shrink-wrap vs. fake...:Opening shrinkwrapped items, especially shrinked boxes, to find that staples have rusted is miserable but in my experience quite common. < super-duper-sadface >

Wait.  What?  I don't understand.  "Opening shrinkwrapped items"?   8O   Why would you ever do that?

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2016 12:46 pm 

Bracton wrote in How to spot original shrink-wrap vs. fake...:
red_bus wrote in How to spot original shrink-wrap vs. fake...:Opening shrinkwrapped items, especially shrinked boxes, to find that staples have rusted is miserable but in my experience quite common. < super-duper-sadface >

Wait.  What?  I don't understand.  "Opening shrinkwrapped items"?   8O   Why would you ever do that?

That was my question!  8O  8O  8O  8O  8O

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2016 12:52 pm 

Bracton wrote in How to spot original shrink-wrap vs. fake...:

:lol: ...I was going to say, to look at the contents, but I realise that is missing your point  :)

...maybe it is a kind of madness, I must get inside!!!

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2016 12:35 am 

Rip it open.
Toys are meant to be played with not stuck on a shelf only to be looked at forever.

Toys in this case including game items such as book,  modules etcetera....

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2016 2:07 am 

I looked at my shrink Land of Fate boxset and it has the same type of shrink yours does, it has the plastic joining section of the shrink on the sides of the box. I bought mine from a guy who opened a case so I am pretty sure it is legit shrink from the day!!

MadCatUSA wrote in How to spot original shrink-wrap vs. fake...:Looking it over again, it looks legit. I'll post a pic as soon as I can get it down to a size the site will accept. Apparently my phone takes pics that are too big to handle.

EDIT:
Posted photos now.
Attachment:
Al Qadim Front.jpg

Attachment:
Al Qadim Back.jpg

Attachment:
Al Qadim Side.jpg

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2016 12:36 pm 

Blackmoor wrote in How to spot original shrink-wrap vs. fake...:I looked at my shrink Land of Fate boxset and it has the same type of shrink yours does, it has the plastic joining section of the shrink on the sides of the box. I bought mine from a guy who opened a case so I am pretty sure it is legit shrink from the day!!

Thank you for the confirmation!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:03 pm 

Thenraine wrote in How to spot original shrink-wrap vs. fake...:if you remove the SW and open the module the interior paper should be super fresh and smell like it was just printed yesterday!

I did that once. Bought a SW copy of X13 Crown of Ancient Glory and ripped off the shrink so I could experience that new TSR module smell  :D  . Got it cheap. This was a few years before TSR stuff on ebay went bonkers. Even out of the SW, I could sell it today for much more than I paid.

Last edited by Jeffro on Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:32 pm 

I have opened a few items that I was questioning if shrink was original, mainly so I could find out if item was complete. (So far yes).  Most were the lower value items.  Also removed shrink that was so brittle (mainly off boxed games) it was cracking more each time I handled it, only a matter of time anyway.

I did have one item that was in original shrink, but had gotten wet, so after I opened it found pages had that slight warping that light moisture can cause, it was original shrink as well, but had just a enough tears in it that moisture got it. Thankfully I got it for a good price versus what it usually goes for.

I fully intend to use and play all my games, so when the time comes, shrink may come off, but I leave it on till that time, in case I never get around to playing it, then it will be worth a bit more if I sell it later :)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:46 pm 

Does this look like original shrink on the World of Greyhawk folio? It went for almost $400..

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Does it look too "baggy" for instance at the bottom?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:26 am 

misterspock wrote in How to spot original shrink-wrap vs. fake...:Does this look like original shrink on the World of Greyhawk folio? It went for almost $400..

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Does it look too "baggy" for instance at the bottom?

Really hard to tell... The first picture looks like there is a really bad seam along the right side, but without being able to see it in person, can't say yes or no.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:36 pm 

how about this one? you can see on two modules that there are price stickers under the shrink :lol:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

the seller has two other auctions for D&D Master's set boxes "in factory shrink" too.  That leads to the question.. which 'factory' are we talking about?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:39 pm 

misterspock wrote in How to spot original shrink-wrap vs. fake...:how about this one? you can see on two modules that there are price stickers under the shrink :lol:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

the seller has two other auctions for D&D Master's set boxes "in factory shrink" too.  That leads to the question.. which 'factory' are we talking about?

That kind of crappy shrink just SCREAMS "HOMEBREW" to me. Someone went out, bought some cheap shrinkable plastic at Home Depot and went to town.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:01 am 

The DL7 looks legit, with the shrink bunching a bit at the sides. Those pictures are tiny, so it's hard to tell for sure. Y'all must have better eyes than me! Most of those modules should have h-seams, but not all were packaged that way iirc. I wouldn't touch without bigger pictures or pictures that reveal breather holes, h-seams, and other authenticating marks.

PreviousNext