Copied Temple of Elemental Evil
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:48 am 

red_bus wrote:This may be actually legit (or not) but it just feels a bit weird...

True it does sound weird.  To be fair to Frank he has indicated that he has no intention of doing so.

As a collector I have no interest in a copy.  The original has more appeal.  However, Frank has stated that this is not likely to be sold any time soon.

Improv ...

(Frank, I know you visit these pages so you may like to comment directly)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:16 am 

invincibleoverlord wrote:Last night I read Frank Mentzer's upcoming GenCon auction for the copy of the original ToEE. I just got to thinking what do you guys think something like that would be worth? I can't see that much to just to read over the original in-the-works module. Granted I'd love to read it, but again putting a copy to auction? If you're going to sell a copy/copies… I'd say sell them. Get it copyrighted as is (If possible, WoTC may own the rights to this work in any form. Maybe that's what the deal is :roll: ) and sell them nicely reproduced (or not) for a small piece of change. I'd pay $20-25 for a limited # run, maybe more if it was nicely reproduced.

I know I'm going to catch hell for this, so this is JMO. You're thoughts?

Now if that original copy was on the block. 8O :D Good luck to all the bidders just the same. :)

My feeling on this is a little less skeptical than some of the opinions expressed thus far.  I don't think Frank is out to make tons of money, he probably wants to share the "original" TOEE with the world, which I can understand.

It sounds like there were only ever two copies in existence, one of which may have been destroyed, and he probably can't bear to see the remaining original vanish into obscurity entirely.  If it were me, I'd have silently kept a "file copy" (neatly stamped to avoid future shenanigans), and have sold off the original to someone that would treasure it.

Does that bend/break copyright?  No idea, and I don't really care, and I doubt the current copyright holder cares, either.  Love to hear Frank's own take on this, though.

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:30 am 

deimos3428 wrote:
Now if that original copy was on the block. 8O :D Good luck to all the bidders just the same. :)

Does that bend/break copyright? No idea, and I don't really care, and I doubt the current copyright holder cares, either. Love to hear Frank's own take on this, though.

jeez if the original was up for sale, can you imagine the chaos that would ensue!! i think there are more than a fair number of peeps out there that would love to have it for their collection ( i would )...

its a shame the "copyright" angle puts a spolier on something that the true fans out there would love to have a part of and if frank makes a few $ in the meantime, like its gonna affect worldwise sales? i think not.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:49 am 

Dathon wrote:

Er... I'm no lawyer, but if it's illegal to make copies, wouldn't it be just as illegal to make and sell 1 as to make and sell 100?

I guess so. But when Frank said:

"This sale is structured mostly in reflection to that fact."

I took it to mean that, as Improvstone said, it's unlikely that WOTC would go after him for selling one copy. All the negative publicity from harassing a living legend over a single copy that he himself worked on would probably be the last thing WOTC wants to deal with.

Deimos3428 wrote:

I don't think Frank is out to make tons of money, he probably wants to share the "original" TOEE with the world, which I can understand.

I'm guessing that he'd love to share it with the world, it's just that copyright law screws that idea up. He admitted in that thread that it's being sold to help fund future development projects, which I think is great. And that's another reason why I wish he was able to sell copies at $25 a pop or something. There are roughly 1,600 registered members at DF alone. If a mere 10% of them wanted a copy of this for $25 (and I don't think that number would be unrealistic), that's $4,000.  8O

I seriously doubt that anyone is going to bid anywhere near that high for a photocopy. So that sucks...he could make a lot more if he was able to sell it by the copy instead of one auction.

I wish Frank could call WOTC and tell them "Listen you little losers! I'm gonna sell this the way I want and if I hear any lip from you, I'll ram a boot into your anatomy!".  :twisted:

I respect copyright as much as the next guy, but after what TSR and WOTC did to Gary and all that, I simply don't care about breaking copyright from them. Call it karma.  :wink:

Like WOTC should worry. What, do they think all their 3E players are gonna put off buying the "3.5E Guide to Godlike Forgotten Realms Characters" in order to purchase a photocopy of a game they've mainly never played?  :roll:

Visit the Back In Print website...where OOP is Back In Print!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:50 am 

Just out of curiosity, what do the rest of you think the price would hit if the original (not the copy) went to auction? 8O

Visit the Back In Print website...where OOP is Back In Print!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:03 pm 

Halaster Blackcloak wrote:Just out of curiosity, what do the rest of you think the price would hit if the original (not the copy) went to auction? 8O

I'd guess in the range of $2K - $3K, probably closer to the upper end given its wild popularity.  But that's just my guess.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:43 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:

I'd guess in the range of $2K - $3K, probably closer to the upper end given its wild popularity.  But that's just my guess.

Agreed… maybe even more for an original unique like that. I mean that's up there with the DMG painting and such.

That leads me to a question for you guys. Do you think there are serious collectors that don't for what ever reason make themselves known around here?

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:46 pm 

invincibleoverlord wrote:That leads me to a question for you guys. Do you think there are serious collectors that don't for what ever reason make themselves known around here?

Have wondered about this on numerous occasions, most recently after the Kuntz auctions.  I believe there are, though in low numbers.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:18 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:
invincibleoverlord wrote:That leads me to a question for you guys. Do you think there are serious collectors that don't for what ever reason make themselves known around here?

Have wondered about this on numerous occasions, most recently after the Kuntz auctions. I believe there are, though in low numbers.

Agreed with y'both.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:46 pm 

invincibleoverlord wrote:
That leads me to a question for you guys. Do you think there are serious collectors that don't for what ever reason make themselves known around here?

When selling my ST1, I had a couple getting in touch with me via my ebay account.  Presumably having an Acaeum account would have bought attention to them!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:14 pm 

I'm waiting to see whether anyone points out that this lot actually breaks their own auction rules; http://forums.gencon.com/?f=29&m=165&p=2

Frank Mentzer wrote:We REFUSE to accept: photocopies or fakes, bootleg software, pirated or home-made videos/DVDs, or livestock...

But then Tsojs and 3rd PotVQs do, too... :D

=

aside to GenCon attendees, for later: apologies, it looks as though I'm not going to get a chance to snipe you, this year! ;)

I couldn't get through to Frank's cell 'phone earlier today to confirm whether three rares had indeed turned up, in order to leave proxy bids, and was too late by the time I got back tonight. (The convention centre doesn't have a switchboard open at 5pm local time(!) and there's no way I'm calling Frank during an auction. :o

*tries to figure out how I can hop over to GenCon in the next 5-6 hours or so* :P

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:02 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
*tries to figure out how I can hop over to GenCon in the next 5-6 hours or so* :P

i was actually having that same thought this morning myself you know - until i couldnt get a flight to suit so that was that one finished before it started :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:34 am 

I'm living vicariously through one of my friends at GC who has an old (1995?) D&D notebook (2nd ed DMG art cover on the front) of mine with him at GC & is getting it signed for me. Apparently Larry Elmore sketched something it :D.

My friend also said Ed Greenwood was there with Elminster minis that have a misprint.. El is CE  :twisted:

Mount Celestia doesn't want me and Baator's afraid I'll take over.

Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad at the door, Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad, Take one down, they gate in two more, Ninty-nine Blue and Green Slaad at the door...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:38 am 

harami2000 wrote:
afoolandhis$ wrote:
Have wondered about this on numerous occasions, most recently after the Kuntz auctions. I believe there are, though in low numbers.

Agreed with y'both.

Just from a comparison with the Acaeum and ebay identities, I can think of a few: tauglorimorgorus, theshield2000 and, most especially:  

bill######(I can't think of what the acutal series of numbers is that follows bill's ID, but it is about 8 of them and I am sure you have all seen it before) and thefantasymuseum.

(I'll add beardedtoad as well, though I noticed that Frank gave him a neg for not  paying on a $921 item . . . )

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:45 am 

beyondthebreach wrote:(I'll add beardedtoad as well, though I noticed that Frank gave him a neg for not paying on a $921 item . . . )

what was the item?

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:13 am 

killjoy32 wrote:
beyondthebreach wrote:(I'll add beardedtoad as well, though I noticed that Frank gave him a neg for not paying on a $921 item . . . )

what was the item?

Link is expired so DL36 will have to try and remember . . . however, I have seen him in the past - I think he was the one who helped bid the C2 Mono up to $1,600 + a ways back . . . can't remember for sure on that one though . . .

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:49 am 

I wonder what the ToEE went for? I peeked around on the official and unofficial GenCon forums, but alas nothing yet.  :roll:

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:01 pm 

bill####### is actually a member here,  occassionaly posts under the name of stratochamp. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

PreviousNext