Copied Temple of Elemental Evil
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:30 am 

Last night I read Frank Mentzer's upcoming GenCon auction for the copy of the original ToEE. I just got to thinking what do you guys think something like that would be worth? I can't see that much to just to read over the original in-the-works module. Granted I'd love to read it, but again putting a copy to auction? If you're going to sell a copy/copies… I'd say sell them. Get it copyrighted as is (If possible, WoTC may own the rights to this work in any form. Maybe that's what the deal is :roll: ) and sell them nicely reproduced (or not) for a small piece of change. I'd pay $20-25 for a limited # run, maybe more if it was nicely reproduced.

I know I'm going to catch hell for this, so this is JMO. You're thoughts?

Now if that original copy was on the block. 8O :D Good luck to all the bidders just the same. :)

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:36 am 

invincibleoverlord wrote:
I know I'm going to catch hell for this, so this is JMO. You're thoughts?

Now if that original copy was on the block. 8O :D Good luck to all the bidders just the same. :)

Yea i saw that too. not sure i would want a "copy" and all that. now the original yeah, i could see most ppl would want to bid on that to have - would be real nice. but a copy, where you cant copy it or anything for five years.....hmm yeah ok.

seems a little pointless to me but there ya go :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:57 am 

killjoy32 wrote:but a copy, where you cant copy it or anything for five years.....hmm yeah ok.

And there could be another copy on the market in 20 months.

And chances are someone is going to make a whole ton of copies of theirs once that 5 years is up, assuming Frank doesn't do so first.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:25 pm 

Surely it would make more sense to sell 50 copies at $25 a hit, than one copy at $800-1000 max. At $25 a hit, the number of copies you could shift would be in the hundreds.

If it were the original manuscript, that would be a different matter.

If it were a photocopy from the early 80's and had Gary and Frank's notes all over it, that again would be different.

A modern copy run off last weekend at the office? You'd be better off selling hundreds at $25 a hit.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:19 pm 

invincibleoverlord wrote:Last night I read Frank Mentzer's upcoming GenCon auction for the copy of the original ToEE. I just got to thinking what do you guys think something like that would be worth?

Wouldn't think less than $300-400 to a well-off university student and work upwards from there.

jmo, too...

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:08 pm 

invincibleoverlord wrote:Last night I read Frank Mentzer's upcoming GenCon auction for the copy of the original ToEE.

I'm lost ... what copy? What discussion is this from?

Could someone post a link to the relevant info.? Thanks in advance.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:09 pm 

yeah, that would help some... *g*

viewtopic.php?t=2587

and on the GenCon Auctions forum ( http://forums.gencon.com/default.aspx?f ... 16&m=54099 )

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:18 pm 

Excellent. Many thanks to the man with the strange winking cougar ... :)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:25 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Excellent. Many thanks to the man with the strange winking cougar ... :)

You're welcome! Image

oh btw, here, catch! :D

===>

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:56 pm 

David, you have issues..............

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:02 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:David, you have issues..............

yeah, you should see the size of the fleas, Frank! 8O

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:39 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
Deadlord36 wrote:David, you have issues..............

yeah, you should see the size of the fleas, Frank! 8O

David, where the hell do you get those pictures?? :lol:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:42 pm 

Just a guess... :lol:

Harami Flea

FREQUENCY: Common

NO. APPEARING: 1-100

AROMR CLASS: 0

MOVE: 18"

HIT DICE: 2

% IN LAIR: 50%

TREASURE TYPE: D&D Relics

NO. OF ATTACKS: 1

DAMAGE/ATTACK: 2-8 (+2) ouch!

SPECIAL ATTACK: swarm

SPECIAL DEFENSES: Nil

MAGIC RESISTANCE: Standard

INTELLIGENCE: Genius

ALIGNMENT: Chaotic-Netural

SIZE: S (2")  8O

PSIONIC ABILITY: Nil

Attack/Defence Modes: Nil

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:48 pm 

Clarkie Wrote:

David, where the hell do you get those pictures??

Yea, where do you get them? Is that you David? If it is you have another quite amazing hobby…. :D

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:09 am 

Frank posted a notice about this auction over at Dragonsfoot as well:

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12951

I asked him why he didn't just sell off copies at $20 a pop, since I'm dead sure he would get at least 100 if not 200 people wanting a copy and that would amount to a hell of a lot more than a single auction would.  8O

He replied that it was published, hence there are copyright laws in effect and he'd be breaking them if he sold copies. He knows more about copyrights than I do, so I assume he's correct.  :cry:

I thought that since it was an original manuscript and was not published in that actual final form, it wouldn't count. I just hate when stuff like this is "restricted" due to copyright stuff, because many fans and collectors just can't pay the big bucks for stuff like this.  :(

Y'all can read the replies there at that thread listed.

Visit the Back In Print website...where OOP is Back In Print!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:05 am 

Halaster Blackcloak wrote:
He replied that it was published, hence there are copyright laws in effect and he'd be breaking them if he sold copies. He knows more about copyrights than I do, so I assume he's correct. :cry:

Er... I'm no lawyer, but if it's illegal to make copies, wouldn't it be just as illegal to make and sell 1 as to make and sell 100?  

:?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:25 am 

dathon wrote:
Halaster Blackcloak wrote:
He replied that it was published, hence there are copyright laws in effect and he'd be breaking them if he sold copies. He knows more about copyrights than I do, so I assume he's correct. :cry:

Er... I'm no lawyer, but if it's illegal to make copies, wouldn't it be just as illegal to make and sell 1 as to make and sell 100?

:?

They do.  However, the enforcement of copyright is up to the infringed company (WoW).  I doubt they are likely to spend the time/dollars required to stop the sale of one copy.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:29 am 

I assume from the line:

"I hereby attest that this is a copy made from the original typewritten manuscript and hand-drawn maps, and that it is the only copy of this manuscript ever to appear in public, and that I will not copy the original again for a period of at least 20 months."

That you will be able to buy another one in 2007. And perhaps 2009 etc..  Perhaps the assumption is that rather than sell 200 copies x $25 once. You could sell one (exclusive-ish) for $1,000 every two years, for a long time.  And he could easily keep adding new handwritten authenticity notes tpo keep this valued much higher than any third party copies...  This may be actually legit (or not) but it just feels a bit weird...

Next