Neverwinter Nights
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:50 pm 

GraysonAC wrote:
On topic, I tried U1 a few nights ago, and really wans't impressed. For sticking true to the module, I don't know how well it did, but judging it just based on a NWN module, it was poor in comparison to many other user-made mods. The dialogue was, imo, particularily stilted and painful to read, heh. But, I'm spoiled, since i stick mostly to the top-rated modules, and the majority of those have earned their high ratings :)

I guess thats the difference between 1st edition & 3rd edition fans. :P Seriously though, I havent paid too much attention to the dialogue in the modules I have played, so I cant argue that point, but then again who needs it when you already have everything written in book form :wink: As far as closeness in story line and outlay of the the module including names, places, monster, maps, treasures, etc. it was almost 100% spot on.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:04 pm 

Heh, doesn't really have anything to do with the edition the game is in. Heck, I own more 1st/2nd Edition stuff than I do 3rd ;)  Has more to do with having played some truly fantastic modules, and a lot of "good" ones.

The module just didn't make much use of a lot of the features NWN offers, and some of the stuff it did use is stuff that better mods avoid (like chests/crates with treasure laying around pointlessly). There were no alignment changes for doing anything, stores were open all the time, almost no scenery was used, the dialogue was extremely limited, etc.  Having the combats based on the monsters in the module also hurt things, although probably would have been better had I been a 1st level Fighter instead of a Sorcerer ;)   But, again, the module didn't use henchmen, which nearly every good module does.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:50 pm 

GraysonAC wrote:
KingOfPain wrote:For anyone looking for an online game with role-playing elements, my brother swears by Guild Wars.

Good lord no. Guild Wars is the antithesis of roleplaying. Their servers are filled with some of the most idiotic, foul-mouthed children I've seen online since playing Diablo way back when. GW is the absolute last MMO I'd recommend for someone wanting to RP.

Hmm.  Most of the role-playing I did in the past had plenty of idiots and foul-mouthed children.  Some people grow up, others don't.  Regardless of what online game you play you are going to find a lot of idiotic asshats that want to do nothing but piss people off.  And my experience on Battle-Net playing Diablo was always great.  Nothing but friendly people.  Starcraft was a different story though.  :P

All I said was my brother and his friends all think it is a very fun game.  And they play World of Warcraft as well and like Guild Wars better.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:53 pm 

Well, to each their own of course :)    I played GW for about 2 weeks before tiring of it, and a signifigant factor in that was not being able to stand the public chat. Not a bad game, albeit a bit one-dimensional. I've gone back to NWN :)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:58 pm 

I am also a big fan of NWN as anyone who spends any time on their forums might have guessed.

Carl

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:40 am 

I finally took the plunge and bought the NWN gold pack (Got it for around $6.00 including shipping!)  I've started the "game" and WOW!  I'm going to mess around a little more and then maybe look into some of the conversions or an online game.

Here's my deep dark secret, I suck at video games.  I am like a 2 fingered gorilla trying to handle the controls on most games.  But I'm doing okay so far.  =)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:38 am 

NWN is pretty easy. The controls are complicated, but once you get the hang of 'em, it's a no-brainer. Stick to a Fighter or Barbarian if you're still learnin' the ropes :)

Just finished part 2 of the Aielund Saga (of 4 parts), and give it my strongest recommendation. Starts from level 1, and provides a ton of fun all the way throught he first two acts (and I've got no reason to believe it'll get less fun for the next two!). Only downside is that there isn't much roleplaying :(  Mostly just "choose an alignment-based response". But, still a great series.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:14 pm 

Sigh. Ok, I caved in and bought the Platinum version so my brothers and I could play some D&D on the computer (we haven't been able to get together on the weekend and play for several months now).  I downloaded a few mods from the NWN site.  I'm looking for some specific mods, though, if anyone can help.  Namely, versions of classic 1st edition (aka letter series stuff) but it has to be a quality conversion.  If anyone has any suggestions please post them here or PM me.  Looking for stuff like G1-3, A series, T1-4, etc. Don't want any crap, if it's halfass forget about it, I only want the best conversions of each.  Are there any other decent sites except for the NWN Vault that might have some conversions?   Thanks.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:18 pm 

Ah, Mike, I'd have waited for NWN2. Due out in a month or two.
I have a bunch of mods I can FTP to you if you like. Or, since they are all on Bioware, you can get them there.
Against the Giants was good. I don't think I ever got to D123/Q1.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:28 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Ah, Mike, I'd have waited for NWN2. Due out in a month or two.
I have a bunch of mods I can FTP to you if you like. Or, since they are all on Bioware, you can get them there.
Against the Giants was good. I don't think I ever got to D123/Q1.

These were from Half Price Books, really cheap, so I thought I would get them to prepare for the NWN2 coming out, just to see if I liked it.
I've been mostly reading the reviews at the NWN Vault, going by that, so far it seems to be a pretty good indicator.  When the reviews begin with stuff like "Buggy piece of crap" I usually stay away....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:50 pm 

I was originally going to bring this back from the dead since my company decided to give me an "indefinite layoff". I was going to use some of my time to get back into NWN and create a huge Greyhawk/Oerth world with as many modules as I could fit put into it. Things were going well; I'm avoiding looking at anything already done and starting from scrath on U1 and the "City of Greyhawk" boxed set.

That changed today as I think things are not looking good over at Bioware. All the Premium modules were pulled without warning a while back. There is a lawsuit going on between Atari and Hasbro/WotC and it looks like their might be no new D&D software coming out at all for a while.

Bioware announced today that all the NWN forums will be closed and archived and only one "catchall" forum will be available on their social page.

I know there are members who feel fondly about this and feel this is sad news. Not sure how things work, but hopefully WotC or Atari don't have the power to hit the Neverwinter Vault or any of the fan sites. While unlikely, I still remember Marvel going after the Freedom force sites and threatening them with lawsuits.

After 8 years, the game is still popular and the forums were still active and people are Still buying the game.

Randomdays

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:09 am 

Randomdays wrote:I was originally going to bring this back from the dead since my company decided to give me an "indefinite layoff". I was going to use some of my time to get back into NWN and create a huge Greyhawk/Oerth world with as many modules as I could fit put into it. Things were going well; I'm avoiding looking at anything already done and starting from scrath on U1 and the "City of Greyhawk" boxed set.

That changed today as I think things are not looking good over at Bioware. All the Premium modules were pulled without warning a while back. There is a lawsuit going on between Atari and Hasbro/WotC and it looks like their might be no new D&D software coming out at all for a while.

Bioware announced today that all the NWN forums will be closed and archived and only one "catchall" forum will be available on their social page.

I know there are members who feel fondly about this and feel this is sad news. Not sure how things work, but hopefully WotC or Atari don't have the power to hit the Neverwinter Vault or any of the fan sites. While unlikely, I still remember Marvel going after the Freedom force sites and threatening them with lawsuits.

After 8 years, the game is still popular and the forums were still active and people are Still buying the game.

Randomdays

I honestly wouldn't worry about it. You go ahead and put in your work. What's happening is....annoying, but it will go away. WoTC sold the license for D&D to Atari. Then they got in a HUGE argument over, who knows what. Atari decides to stick it to WoTC and NOT make any more D&D games, and stop everybody else from making any. Honestly, Bioware is just pulling the NWN stuff to be on the safe side; as they made their game BEFORE the rights were transferred over, they should be safe from any lawsuit. Absolute worst case scenario, when Atari loses the rights in a couple years, Bioware will be able to put all their stuff right back up, as WoTC will probably ask them to make the next game.

All this REALLY pisses me off because hot damn, you could make a 4E video game friggin SERIES in your sleep. The rules are PERFECT for a massive, in depth tactical RPG, and I lose sleep some nights thinking about how awesome that game would be, and I plot Atari's death on a weekly basis. The petty bastards. Anyway, here's waiting for their agreement to expire!!

Zenfinite

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:35 pm 

You'd still be able to create your own custom dungeons and worlds.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:18 pm 

Zenfinite wrote:
I honestly wouldn't worry about it. You go ahead and put in your work. What's happening is....annoying, but it will go away. WoTC sold the license for D&D to Atari. Then they got in a HUGE argument over, who knows what. Atari decides to stick it to WoTC and NOT make any more D&D games, and stop everybody else from making any. Honestly, Bioware is just pulling the NWN stuff to be on the safe side; as they made their game BEFORE the rights were transferred over, they should be safe from any lawsuit. Absolute worst case scenario, when Atari loses the rights in a couple years, Bioware will be able to put all their stuff right back up, as WoTC will probably ask them to make the next game.

All this REALLY pisses me off because hot damn, you could make a 4E video game friggin SERIES in your sleep. The rules are PERFECT for a massive, in depth tactical RPG, and I lose sleep some nights thinking about how awesome that game would be, and I plot Atari's death on a weekly basis. The petty bastards. Anyway, here's waiting for their agreement to expire!!

Zenfinite

They are suing them for sub-licensing to Namco Bandi and your right, Atari sucks.  Atari was also being sued by Turbine, the makers of Dungeons and Dragons Online; Stormreach, but it was either settled or dropped a few months back; around the time Warner Brothers bought Turbine.  Atari is definitely is not the company it used to be and thankfully Hasbro/WOTC still own the rights to any online D&D developments.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:36 am 

I just have to say that I never really liked NWN1. As someone who cut their teeth on computer D&D playing the old SSI goldbox games, and who thinks that Baldur's Gate 1&2 are the greatest computer games ever made, I just could not get past the fact that NWN1 would not let me directly control an entire party. When I play a computer D&D game, I want direct control of an entire party of four or more characters or it's an automatic "no go" for me.

NWN2, on the other hand, I thought was quite excellent. It has an interesting story, great characters, and excellent voice acting.

Obviously, my comments only pertain to the single player aspect of NWN1, not the multiplayer mode, which I have never experienced.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:46 pm 

Well, I'd have to say I am just the opposite...

I liked the SSI games and Baulder's Gate as well, but I hate controlling an entire party... just me and maybe a henchman is okay, but the let the henchman think for himself...

I LOVE NWN1, and I host 7 servers for a persistent world and I play EVERY Sunday morning from 0600-1000 on one of the servers.

I'd prefer if it was 1st edition D&D, but the scripting has made the server a whole lot more like D&D for sure. (there is no auto regen on the server I play... if you die, you'd better have a buddy that can use a Raise Dead or pay for a Rez.. otherwise, reroll)

So if you haven't played NWN1 in a while, and want to play in a real "party require" world, holler and we can play some...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:41 pm 

Actually, that does sound fun. By "persistant world" do you mean that it is set up like an MMO, where players can log in whenever they want? Is there anything that can be accomplished solo, or does a full party and a DM have to be logged in?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:12 pm 

Yes, it's like an MMO in the sense you can login and play whenever you like. But the server won't hold more than about 20 people.

The module saves some information, even between reboots, and sometimes when the server hasn't been rebooted in a while, you can find some factions out or alignment where someone has decided to attach the Gold Dragon in town etc. So sometimes I have to reboot or low levels can't even get started (not often, but now an then).

It's large world with over 500 areas, and 500 quests. It's actual one huge long story line and your goal is to save the "world", but you don't have to follow the story line, you can just explore and kill everything you can find.

You can play as a single player, but it can be hard that way since getting ambushed by 4 goblins at once with poison arrows at 1st level can kill you pretty quick !

But there is a "quest giver" in town that will give you some level appropriate quests to complete to get a couple of levels under your belt before you jump out in the wild.

Best if played with a party of 2-3, as you get higher level, you some times need 5 in a party to survive.

No DM required on the server at all, but sometimes a DM will be there making it more difficult or maybe more fun, just depends.

When I solo, I usually start with a Druid... then in town you can hire a henchman until you are 8th level I think, and then I have my animal companion. So that gives me 3 in my group for better survival. And since I can tame an animal, some times I can have 4 !

Anyway, if you want to play holler, I'll get you all the details and I'll try and get on at the same time.

It's a public server, so you can look for it in the Role Play area: Richterm's Revenge is the server you are looking for.

PreviousNext