Neverwinter Nights
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:37 am 

I have to plug this game. It is 3E, which sucks, but it is just an awesome online D&D game. I am running a persistent world server, so if anyone from here wants to set up a time to play, just let me know. It is probably the closest many of us will get to actually meeting.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:43 pm 

Greatest. Game. EV-AR!

Starting at a perfect 10 of 10, I drop Neverwinter one point for not being set in Greyhawk and one point for running a version of the 3e rules (but, with the computer doing all the work, it's a playable 3e), but an 8 out of 10 is still higher than I've ever rated a computer RPG.

I have an open invitation to any Acaeum members looking to find out more about NWN: just e-mail me or drop me a PM, and I'll do what I can to help (I don't want to speak for Frank, but I'm pretty sure he would do the same).

For those who prefer to do their own research, the best place to start is:

BioWare

Remember: you haven't lived until you've used Great Cleave on the dozen kobolds that have you surrounded ... 8)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:55 pm 

I would definitely be willing to help. It is really pretty simple to learn, especially if you know 3Eeek rules. And I downloaded most of the classic modules like Keep, Tomb of Horrors etc.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:42 pm 

I'll weigh in here as well.  As Frank knows, I play it often, and absolutely LOVE it.  For about the first 6 months I had it, I played nearly every evening.  Needless to say, my wife wasn't pleased, which is probably a good sign.  It's the only 3E I still play.

Beware of Barulio Quickboots!  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:48 pm 

I have all 3 parts and I have tried it, but the couple times that I have played it, it seemed cumbersome to me both control wise and POV wise. Maybe I am just spoiled by the ease of control in the BG I & II games, I am not sure.  Another thing about it though, I also downloaded a bunch of premade classic modules to try out, but for some reason only a one of them that I have tried works(Q1). :?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:30 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:For about the first 6 months I had it, I played nearly every evening.

This sounds oddly ... familiar. True story: I actually blew off a job interview to play NWN. Not bad, huh? It wasn't that great of a job, anyway ... :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:48 pm 

bclarkie wrote:I have all 3 parts and I have tried it

For those that haven't played it - don't judge the game by the original campaign. Some people like it, a lot of folks don't. Many of the user-made modules and later official modules (Especially Hordes of the Underdark) are very well done.

the couple times that I have played it, it seemed cumbersome to me both control wise and POV wise. Maybe I am just spoiled by the ease of control in the BG I & II games, I am not sure.

You probably missed the "change view" function. You can play top-down, chase mode, and if you're really desperate, you can zoom in enough to sorta simulate 1st person. The game isn't meant for 1st person though.

Another thing about it though, I also downloaded a bunch of premade classic modules to try out, but for some reason only a one of them that I have tried works(Q1). :?

If you don't have the two expansions (Shadows of Undrentide, Hordes of the Underdark, both *very* worth getting), then a lot of custom modules won't work. You also need hakpacks and such for most good modules.

Try the top-rated NWNVault modules if you're looking for some -really- good stuff. Not all of it is great, imo, but a large chunk of it is.

My recommendations:

For goofiness, try Stefan Gagne's "Penultima" series. For sheer epic and "awesomeness", try Adam Miller's series. It starts with Shadowlords 1, I think there's 5 of those, then goes on to Dreamcatcher, and I think there's 4 of those, and then the last (and best) is "Demon", which is absolutely incredible.

NWN is my second favorite game - Planescape:Torment still beats it ;)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:06 pm 

On the subject of NWN, I gotta make my own plug:

Avlis (The World of Avlis • Portal)

A persistent world (6 servers, ~6,000 areas) that is simply amazing. There's usually about 3 dozen players at any one time, lots of DMs passing through.

You think regular NWN is addictive? Try a campaign world where some people have ran the same character for the last 2 years. Where you can rent an inn room to store unnecessary gear. Where your character can build a reputation. Where you can craft your own weapons, gear, magic items, clothing, whatever. Where you can be a Wemic, Changeling, or any of a number of custom races.

I've been playing on Avlis for months, and am only just beginning to see all the things that are possible there. Powergamers will get bored, as it can take a while to level... but it's a level playing field. Magic is more scarce  than the usual NWN shovel-fulls. Roleplay & immersion matter.

By yourself? Gather materials, then make your own equipment. A rogue? Go hit residential areas to get rich. But be careful, for players (or DMs) from law enforcement or the guild are often patrolling unseen.

Got some friends online, no DM around? Go explore a cave you found last week in the Wilderness. But be careful, because the encounters may not be matched to your level. Some areas are just plain dangerous.

Go to the website. Read the rules & guidelines. Send in the application (note that the forum app & Avlis app are 2 different things). Download the hakpaks. Create a character. Start out somewhere safe like Elysia or Le'Or T'Nanshi. Start talking to people. The veteran players & DMs have a special place in their hearts for newbies, giving advice, gold, magic, etc. I haven't gone back to regular NWN since.

The best part? IT'S FREE.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:10 pm 

*finally takes the hint*

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8212560339

Thanks Frank and y'all...

Don't know when/if I'll find the time, or finally manage to migrate off this K7/500 onto the "new" PC, but seemed like a decent price and more incentive to do so... ;)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:27 pm 

harami2000 wrote:*finally takes the hint*

Don't know when/if I'll find the time, or finally manage to migrate off this K7/500 onto the "new" PC, but seemed like a decent price and more incentive to do so... ;)

You won't regret it...and you can say goodbye to your day job.  Have fun!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:46 pm 

Nice score on that one ...

Here's hoping you enjoy the game. Remember: friends, family, employment, going outside — all of these things are seriously over-rated. All that matters is doing "just another half-hour" with NWN. :wink:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:05 pm 

Mossbourne is one I've been on recently. Very large and detailed. No crafting system, which stinks, but fun nonetheless.

I run the Aurora crafting system on my server. It really is phenomenal. There is an island to which you can buy a key (pricey), and on it you can harvest any raw material such as pelts, ore, gems, etc. Even has dyes for making magic cloaks and boots!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:32 pm 

Harami, get the two expansions as well. They provide a LOT more options, and will increase your enjoyment of the game tenfold. The player-made modules for the original NWN are pretty crude and basic compared to some of the absolutely incredible stuff done with the expansions.

Also, there's the "CEP" (Community Expansion Pack), and most of the really good modules make use of it. It's a huuuuuge amount of new stuff :)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:36 pm 

Aha! Now someone tells me. :D

BIN price ain't so good on the expansions. Will keep an eye out for those, thanks!

*g*. Having said goodbye to one "day job", before, had better not repeat that trick. "Just another half-hour" it will be, then... ;)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:44 pm 

Well, thanks to this thread I gave it another shot and have been much more impressed with it this time around. :D    I just finished a version of U1, and it was so well done I cant even believe it.  I think I was able to find 2 very very minor differences in the game versus the original module and that is only because I was using the module as a reference guide.  :twisted:  Unreal!!!   Too bad it does use 3E rules or else it would be perfect.  :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:22 am 

bclarkie wrote:I just finished a version of U1, and it was so well done I cant even believe it.

Well, there's one for the coincidence file: my first-ever NWN adventure (after the main game, of course) was a U1 downloaded from NW Vault. Been hooked ever since ... :)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:27 am 

I've done U1, U2 and U3, all by Oraweb

What a truly excellent job.

ok, I had to ask for help once or twice

Neverwinter   News, Trailers, Screenshots, Previews, Reviews, Guides -- Neverwinter Nights 2 Vault is where all the best PnP* conversions hang out.

* Pen 'n' Paper - conversions from our normal DnD modules.

If you havn't gone beyond the stock games, simple export your character, load up a module, and off you go.

Your character will now exist seperately in the original game and the new module.

Best to keep a selection of exported characters at different levels.

And if you havn't tried multi-user yet...you need different licenses for each seat. One seat can be the Dungeon Master if required. Somewhere there has to be a server - a machine or yours or one up on the internet.

BJS

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:29 am 

as long as we are on the subject.

DON'T GET POOL OF RADIANCE, EVEN IF IT IS IN THE BARGAIN BIN.

The ORIGINAL POR was much better :).

Pat

Next