woodgrain sale
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:42 pm 

I was thinking it would go in the high teens, so the $2,177 doesn't surprise me that much. What I was hoping for was one of the gang would have won it to help further research (and chime in with some bragging rights :P …jk). But seriously to the winner who must be reading this thread; congrats. And good luck on locating a 1st U&WA to complete the set if that's your goal.

That makes me wonder if anyone has ever achieved finding a replacement 1st of any kind to complete a set. Has anyone done this? The only loose 1st I've won is that 2nd print "TSR proof copy" that is actually a 1st M&T with "second print" handwritten inside the cover. Now if I could only find the other two that would be a cool set! :) But I would need a woody box with horizontal as well as vertical woodgrains. :lol:

Harami wrote:

ymmv.

I meant to ask what this one means?

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:35 am 

I just stumbled upon this Forum, knew about Acaeum for years, even have credit on their basic set 'thank you's'.....was watching the auction w/ wife, we were amazed at the level of scrutiny such a sale goes through...and here I thought I was bad ass w/ my pristine 7th ed. 1979 Basic set! :oops:

btw anyone know what J. Eric Holmes is doing these days?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:00 pm 

Wizzyblackmore wrote:btw anyone know what J. Eric Holmes is doing these days?

I corresponded with him two or three years ago:  he sent me some unpublished Boinger and Zereth stories, but didn't reply to any other letters that I sent, alas :(

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:30 pm 

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:02 pm 

grodog wrote:
I corresponded with him two or three years ago: he sent me some unpublished Boinger and Zereth stories, but didn't reply to any other letters that I sent, alas :(

That's too bad. I hope he's still alive!  8O

It would be interesting to see his personal campaign material. From the intro to his FRPG book, his home campaign included a Wizard's Tower, which makes it possible that the Sample Dungeon in the blue basic book came straight from his campaign or was at least inspired by it. It'd sure be interesting to see the rest of Zenopus' tower.

By the way, Xenopus is a frog used in scientific studies and Holmes was a professor of neurophysiology. I was in need of a basic neuro textbook so I picked up a used copy of Basic Human Neurophysiology (1984) which he co-authored. Interestingly, the final section of the book dissects a scene in an Edgar Rice Burroughs story (a western) in terms of neurophysiology.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:33 pm 

Interesting points zhowar1!  JEH wrote several short stories for The Dragon/Dragon, as well as a novel (The Maze of Peril) using the same characters, some ERB pastiches (one or two for Pellucidar IIRC), and wrote his wonderful "Confessions of a Dungeon Master" article too (a great read!).  

I haven't read his scientific writings.  Sounds like they may be worth digging up (unless the ERB content is really short??).

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:46 pm 

grodog wrote: I haven't read his scientific writings. Sounds like they may be worth digging up (unless the ERB content is really short??).

The neurophysiology text (co-authored with David F. Lindsley) is well-written, but the ERB content is very short. It's in the Coda, where there is one page with three short paragraphs quoted from "The Return of the Mucker" by Edgar Rice Burroughs, copyright 1916. The quoted paragraphs describe a fellow named Billy Byrne who is a fugitive pursued by someone named Bridge, and the subsequent gunfight when he is caught. Following this, there are just over three pages describing the neurological basis of each of Billy's actions, based on the teachings from the textbook.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:54 pm 

I googled John Eric Holmes and found this:

"SAD NEWS John Eric Holmes has suffered a stroke and will not be able to appear as Guest of Honour at this year's ECOF Convention in Sacramento"

This was in the ERBzine weekly online fanzine:

ERBzine Weekly Online Fanzine

This looks like it may have been in 2004.  :?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:00 pm 

Bummer :(  Thanks for the info zhowar1, I hadn't seen this before.

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Previous