How much eBay really cares about fraudulent sellers/sales...
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:46 pm 

GraysonAC wrote:Heh. Might work on a truly retarded buyer that bought a rare book or something, but this wanker bought D&D miniatures.

eBay ID is sweetnlow1275. I'd recommend any fellow sellers that sell the plastic D&D miniatures add them to your blocked list, just in case.

Man, there's not many things that get me riled up more than being accused of being a cheat. Pretty sad that you can fricking bend over backwards to deal with people fairly, and they'll still stab you in the back if given a chance.

yeah i have had a few instances like that in the past. i've nearly gone round to someones house before now and kicked the shit out of them for calling me :)

that was when i was younger tho - have mellowed out a tad now - i will just maim them slightly now :D

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:17 pm 

mordrin wrote:This is why I asked once before about PayPal with bank balance vs PayPal with credit card.

Eventually the 'trial amount' where they let you pay from cc runs out. So how do you avoid losing the option to do chargeback on cc?

Can you easily start a new PP account with the same card or a different one?

Are people paying via cc not through PP?

Or are most people just letting PP have access to your bank balance and hoping for the best?

My trial amount is almost gone and I don't trust those greedy bastards with account access.

I set up a second bank account with a limited amount of funds in it. I use that account for eBay and Paypal. I made sure this account isn't linked to my main bank account. So, at worst I could lose 50-100 bucks. I think the most I've ever had in the account is 700.00 from a large auction, but I don't trust eBay/Paypal to have access to my main bank account.

~Clangador
---------------

Black Blade Publishing imprint of OSRIC is not only the most definitive printing of OSRIC to date, but also the single greatest resource for old school gamers since the three original hardbacks written by E. Gary Gygax.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:02 am 

Regarding chargebacks in the UK....

1. Never send anything expensive (over £60) to a PayPal address that is not 'confirmed' and insure it for its full value, unless you know and thrust the buyer.

2. Always send Recorded Delivery on items over £30, unless you know and trust the buyer.

3. Always state the shipping charge and conditions on the auction.

Provided these 3 conditions are met, the only chargeback you will ever have to fight will be one where the buyer claims the item is 'not as described'.

I make exceptions for buyers I know and trust, but if I don't know who they are, then I ship to them recorded and insured and charge them accordingly. If they don't want to buy from me, that's there decision, but I'd rather have my item in good condition and remain unsold, that return damaged or go missing and receive no compensation for it.

Besides, I have never had an item sent Recorded go missing or arrive damaged. The post office seems to take care of those packages more.

Aside...

Even if you grant PayPal access to your bank account, in the UK it is illegal for them to take money from your bank account without your specific concent for every single transaction.

So, if you have a deal that has gone bad. You've shipped the $600 camera to the buyer and he says he didn't receive it, or that it was broken, or whatever. If you only have $85 in your PayPal account, when the chargeback occurs, PayPal put your account ballance at -$515 and ask you to settle your account before allowing you to trade again.

You say 'No. Sue me.' They can't take money from your bank. If they proceed with legal action you have a simple defence. In the UK, PayPal have to prove that broke the contract of sale with the buyer. That is not easy and not worth their money or time.

They will just suspend your account and block your name and address from opening a new account.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:54 am 

if it was in the UK, on pure principle i would go to the persons house and speak to them personally - i aint having anyone taint my name in any way.

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:41 am 

killjoy32 wrote:if it was in the UK, on pure principle i would go to the persons house and speak to them personally - i aint having anyone taint my name in any way.

If it reached the stage where they were charging back a Credit Card transaction I'd not be talking to them. :evil: That doesn't mean I would go see them personally.

I much prefer to sell to, and buy from, names I know. Thankfully, a lot of the more uncommon items I have tend to be bought by people I know. I don't have the problems the dealers have with newbies, because on the whole you need to know a reasonable amount about what you're looking for to buy the non-TSR stuff I sell. I don't have much TSR.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Previous