alternative to ebay?  screw these assholes
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:15 pm 

Very interesting, thanks for the info :)   Interesting to see that being a Canuck might, for once, actually benefit me when it comes to eBay/PP.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:22 pm 

PayPal can't, for legal reasons, have my money stored in $CDN

I just checked the Paypal website. Paypal uses:
Canadian Dollar
Euro
Pound Sterling
U.S. Dollar
Yen
Australian Dollar

Did you select the 'multiple currencies' option?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:36 pm 

Hrm, interesting as well. I thought PP got into all kinds of legal trouble not so long ago for holding international currencies without having the proper bank-type permits or something similar. Am I thinking of something or someone else?

I checked, and I've only got a $US account (all other options are "Closed"). Wouldn't want a $CDN account with them though - they charge a 2.5% "fee" on top of the terrible exchange rate, and the cost/payment is higher ($0.55CDN fee instead of $0.30USD)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:04 pm 

GraysonAC wrote:
frostdawn wrote:Personally, I'm very leary of using Paypal whenever I can help it. The only time I pay with Paypal is if it's for something I REALLY want desperately, and Paypal is the only payment option available to me. Otherwise, I'll go for the money order method of payment (for both paying for, and accepting payment from buyers). I don't have to worry about charge backs or account fraud or hidden fees with Paypal. I don't have to wait for a personal check to clear (or have it bounce). With a money order, it's as good as cash, and there is a low service fee for their processing (about $.75). Good times.

There's no reason to be worried about using PP as a buyer. It's the sellers taht get jacked around ;)

Even as a seller, I won't take PP though, for all the hassle associated with it. Just not worth the headache IMHO. "...and accepting payment from buyers".

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:05 pm 

GraysonAC wrote:Hrm, interesting as well. I thought PP got into all kinds of legal trouble not so long ago for holding international currencies without having the proper bank-type permits or something similar. Am I thinking of something or someone else?

I checked, and I've only got a $US account (all other options are "Closed"). Wouldn't want a $CDN account with them though - they charge a 2.5% "fee" on top of the terrible exchange rate, and the cost/payment is higher ($0.55CDN fee instead of $0.30USD)

Yeah, that sounds really familiar, but I can't remember what became of it...

Previous