alternative to ebay?  screw these assholes
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:24 pm 

Paypal has a rewards program?

GraysonAC wrote:
jagd wrote:And as a buyer I love it because I pay everything with my Paypal linked Credit card so I get 1% back on everything :-).

Not for long - the Rewards Points program is being cancelled.

"What can I get for $10?"

"Mint Rare and Shrinkwrapped-just pick that bar of soap up for us pls, we love you long time!"

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:29 pm 

You can get an MNBC credit card that gives 1% of your purchases in "Anything Points", which can be spent on eBay.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:30 pm 

Yes, Paypal has a rewards program. The more you use them, the harder you get porked. You can even qualify for their reach-around program.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:21 pm 

I have a Positive  :D  opinion of Paypal. As a foreigner buying a lot of stuff in the US and overseas in general, PayPal is a lot more cheap and quick than bank transfers, money orders and Bidpay. I find it satisfying as a seller too, albeit I virtually ships all the valuable items (valuable meaning 'more than $ 10 worth') certified mail to ensure safety.

I understand anyway the concerns of US sellers. Yes, it's amazingly easy to receive an item, then complain and get the money back. This is really sad.  But I never did such a thing (albeit sometimes, I admit it, the temptation was very strong  :oops: ): I file a complain just when I paid for item/s to be shipped by air mail and such item/s didin't arrive within the PayPal time window for claims. I just filed a claim for the missed arrival of a copy of Stormbringer (not a big deal, I admit...) and the seller, most commendably, promptly refunded me. Of course, if the item arrives, I'll send him the money again.

I'm sure the vast majority of foreign (for you Americans :wink:) buyers are honest people.  You can surely bar the auctions to non US bidders, but you are renouncing to a huge and ever growing market (I have lost count of the number of Italians and Europeans I stumbled upon in my Magic auctions).

Just my two (euro) cents  :D

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:45 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:If you customer wants to shop on eBay but can't be arsed openning a PayPal account they can buy from someone other than me. I need to know that there is at least a reasonable chance that an International Buyer is legit'.

If they don't have a PayPal account the odds are high that they're gonna either screw me over or be so beligerant that the sale will fall through. My experience of the 'I don't have a PayPal account' bregade is that they are newbies with extremely low intelligence and an attitude problem to go with it.

If you're a seller, withholding feedback until the buyer places feedback is the only mild for of deterant you have against someone screwing you. I buy far more stuff than I sell and I'm happy for sellers not to give me feedback until I've left mine.

Personally, I'm very leary of using Paypal whenever I can help it. The only time I pay with Paypal is if it's for something I REALLY want desperately, and Paypal is the only payment option available to me. Otherwise, I'll go for the money order method of payment (for both paying for, and accepting payment from buyers). I don't have to worry about charge backs or account fraud or hidden fees with Paypal. I don't have to wait for a personal check to clear (or have it bounce). With a money order, it's as good as cash, and there is a low service fee for their processing (about $.75). Good times.

My feedback, and feedback I've left for others shows that this system works for me and those I deal with. And I haven't screwwed anyone over in any deals. One person was a non-payer but that was about it (I didn't get screwwed since I didn't ship the auction out, I was just out the listing fee)

Admittedly, I'm one of those that will not post feedback until the other person does first, to insure that I don't get screwwed. I process transactions as quickly as possible and try to help people. If someone tries to leave neg feedback for that without working with me, I'm gonna be ready for some retaliation if nothing else. Fortunately, this hasn't happened to date, but I'm not gonna take chances either.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:50 pm 

Who wants to hear my current fiasco?

Somehow, ebay automatic billing sent out my invoices (53 auctions worth). That part is fine. Problem is more than half the buyers made payment and my old email address (deleted almost 9 months ago) came up as the paypal addressee. So those payments are going unclaimed and have to be resent after the buyer cancels.

The thing I don't understand is that 30% of the buyers had no problem and payment came to the right email/account at paypal. Some buyers worked fine, but the majority are screwed up.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:07 pm 

bbarsh wrote:Somehow, ebay automatic billing sent out my invoices (53 auctions worth). That part is fine. Problem is more than half the buyers made payment and my old email address (deleted almost 9 months ago) came up as the paypal addressee. So those payments are going unclaimed and have to be resent after the buyer cancels.
Some buyers worked fine, but the majority are screwed up.

Not just screwed up but screwed, too, if any of them are international since they will only receive PayPal's reverse exchange rate per my recent note halfway down alternative to ebay?  screw these assholes • Collecting General •  The Acaeum when I sent money to Frank's old account.

Despite the fact it's no fault of your buyers' that their money is in the wrong account and PayPal doesn't provide a facility to shift it to the "correct" one...

Do hope you don't have many international bidders in that batch... :?

*whistles a happy tune* :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:08 pm 

frostdawn wrote:Personally, I'm very leary of using Paypal whenever I can help it. The only time I pay with Paypal is if it's for something I REALLY want desperately, and Paypal is the only payment option available to me. Otherwise, I'll go for the money order method of payment (for both paying for, and accepting payment from buyers). I don't have to worry about charge backs or account fraud or hidden fees with Paypal. I don't have to wait for a personal check to clear (or have it bounce). With a money order, it's as good as cash, and there is a low service fee for their processing (about $.75). Good times.

There's no reason to be worried about using PP as a buyer. It's the sellers taht get jacked around ;)

Who wants to hear my current fiasco?

Somehow, ebay automatic billing sent out my invoices (53 auctions worth). That part is fine. Problem is more than half the buyers made payment and my old email address (deleted almost 9 months ago) came up as the paypal addressee. So those payments are going unclaimed and have to be resent after the buyer cancels.

The thing I don't understand is that 30% of the buyers had no problem and payment came to the right email/account at paypal. Some buyers worked fine, but the majority are screwed up.

That would explain why my payment is unclaimed then :P

Which email should I resend it to? (Toss me a PM if you don't want to post the email for a scraper to nab)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:23 pm 

GraysonAC wrote:That would explain why my payment is unclaimed then :P

Which email should I resend it to? (Toss me a PM if you don't want to post the email for a scraper to nab)

Let us know if you get all your money back when you cancel... Shouldn't expect so after my ~$30 loss.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:39 pm 

GraysonAC wrote:
Not for long - the Rewards Points program is being cancelled.

There are much better rewards/rebate cards than crappy Ebay points. Don't they have rebate cards in Canada?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:48 pm 

harami2000 wrote:Let us know if you get all your money back when you cancel... Shouldn't expect so after my ~$30 loss.

Yup, got back 100%. I was paying from PP Balance though, which is likely why.

There are much better rewards/rebate cards than crappy Ebay points. Don't they have rebate cards in Canada?

Unfortunately, the Teamster's Union is too powerful up here - the dogsled teams that do our mail delivery complained about the extra burden of all the rebate documentation, so all rebate programs were cancelled.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:05 pm 

GraysonAC wrote:
harami2000 wrote:Let us know if you get all your money back when you cancel... Shouldn't expect so after my ~$30 loss.

Yup, got back 100%. I was paying from PP Balance though, which is likely why.

*makes note*

PayPal balance in US$ or CA$? The latter would have invoked an exchange rate in the initial transaction, and thus would have expected you to be stung by the cancellation/re-exchange back to CA$.
A "balance" in CA$ in Canada is just the same as PayPal extracting the same amount from a credit card in CA$ in Canada, I would have thought. (The credit card payment is taken by PayPal in the UK, not the US? Or do PayPal /really/ only "do their banking" in the US?).

*runs around that loop, trying to work things out, but failing*

Good that you didn't lose out, though! :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:32 pm 

My PP balance is in $US. PayPal can't, for legal reasons, have my money stored in $CDN. That's why they have to convert it before giving it to us Canuck customers.

You folks over the pond have your balance stored in something other than $USD?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:11 pm 

*over the pond person reporting for duty*

We can have our primairy balance in Euro (and mine is). I also have US$ and GBP turned on, in case somebody sends me money in those currencies. And with the current exchange rate developments, having an account in US$ sucks big time!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:15 pm 

Very interesting, thanks for the info :)   Interesting to see that being a Canuck might, for once, actually benefit me when it comes to eBay/PP.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:22 pm 

PayPal can't, for legal reasons, have my money stored in $CDN

I just checked the Paypal website. Paypal uses:
Canadian Dollar
Euro
Pound Sterling
U.S. Dollar
Yen
Australian Dollar

Did you select the 'multiple currencies' option?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:36 pm 

Hrm, interesting as well. I thought PP got into all kinds of legal trouble not so long ago for holding international currencies without having the proper bank-type permits or something similar. Am I thinking of something or someone else?

I checked, and I've only got a $US account (all other options are "Closed"). Wouldn't want a $CDN account with them though - they charge a 2.5% "fee" on top of the terrible exchange rate, and the cost/payment is higher ($0.55CDN fee instead of $0.30USD)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:04 pm 

GraysonAC wrote:
frostdawn wrote:Personally, I'm very leary of using Paypal whenever I can help it. The only time I pay with Paypal is if it's for something I REALLY want desperately, and Paypal is the only payment option available to me. Otherwise, I'll go for the money order method of payment (for both paying for, and accepting payment from buyers). I don't have to worry about charge backs or account fraud or hidden fees with Paypal. I don't have to wait for a personal check to clear (or have it bounce). With a money order, it's as good as cash, and there is a low service fee for their processing (about $.75). Good times.

There's no reason to be worried about using PP as a buyer. It's the sellers taht get jacked around ;)

Even as a seller, I won't take PP though, for all the hassle associated with it. Just not worth the headache IMHO. "...and accepting payment from buyers".

PreviousNext