Free Whitey!
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:29 pm 

b_stedman wrote:PS - One memorable incident came from a mace-wielding cleric, played by my wife, who was being set about by stirges.
Trying to remove the offending creatures, he (she) stated
"I'll bash myself off"

Related story. Several years ago, some friends, my wife, and I were playing one of those board games where everyone has to figure out what a word means. I can't recall the word that came up, but it was something bizarre. So we're going around the table, showing our answers and bemoaning our poor scores, when we get to my wife's answer - "A stick used to beat off small animals."

There was about 5 seconds of complete silence, and then gales of laughter. She, bless her naivety, didn't understand what everyone was laughing at until someone had enough breath to explain it. She still gets flustered and blushes whenever the story comes up, and I can't help but laugh every time I think about it.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:17 pm 

*wipes tears from eyes*

... Now that's a new use for St. Cuthbert's cudgel! :D

*wonders how the +3 might apply* :lol:  ...:oops:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:49 am 

afoolandhis$ wrote:The jokes and hard luck stories are great. But they're making it hard for me to decide on a single lucky winner. So here's what I'm going to do: I'll give away some supplements, too. If you don't have them and are in the market for a copy, let me know. I'll try to post pics tonight or tomorrow.

I need a "better" condition playing copy of an Eldritch Wizardry, if you've got it.  The schlep who owned the book before me decided that blue highlighter was the order of the day, and that laminating the cover with that self-stick laminating plastic was a good thing.

My pathetic story (for the Eldritch if you have one, as I have an OCE) is when I was 14, I nearly died in a car accident.  I was in a game, and because of my injuries I wasn't able to go anywhere for almost a month.  When I was finally able to get back to playing, my best friend told me that the DM killed off my character because I wasn't able to make to the game.

Umm...I nearly die in a car accident, which the DM knew about, and he proceeds to kill off my character anyway.  I never returned to that game, and the game itself petered out a few weeks later.  At the very least, my best friend didn't play there anymore, and we proceeded to do our own adventures.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:58 am 

I am going to tell you an interesting story.

My OCE is actually a twin. It was separated from it's twin, and has since been very sad and vulneable. Not to mention I have been playing 3.5. So, in a bid to cure my OCE's lonelieness, I have been using a PI to find its twin.

Lo and behold, it is yours. Your post came seconds before I heard from my PI.

So, don't it for me, or my greed. Do it for my OTHER OCE box.

P.S. I also have a lonely Empire of the Petal Throne. But he's a triplet.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:28 am 

Hi,

once Dm'ed a Cavalier who partook in one of my home-made Deck of Many Things.

He got an extra leg.

No more warhorse for him  :lol:

Cheers,
Malcolm

PS I already have an OCE, so count me out on that

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:39 am 

I don't have any supplements either . . . not a one!  In the last 6 months (probably longer), the only thing that I have bought myself is the book "The Runes of the Earth" (which is the first book of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant).

That's it . . . nothing else!  Now that's sad!   8)

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:15 pm 

Okay, time for some pics.  The OCE box is fully intact, in fact it has almost no dishing.  The books are nice, though there is a name on the back of each one, and some writing and staple rust.

The supps are okay, some of them pretty clean.  The worst is the 3rd print Blackie, as you can tell from the pic.  But they're all complete and intact.

Anyone else want to chime in?

Image Image

Prolific Collector
Subweb Admin
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:22 pm 

Not totally related, but I've always wanted to say that the little beholder on the cover of the Greyhawk book there is so cute. I just want to cuddle it.  :lol:

Er, carry on.

Waterdeep? Never heard of it.

-Factol Pentar, Doomguard

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:47 pm 

Azurah wrote:Not totally related, but I've always wanted to say that the little beholder on the cover of the Greyhawk book there is so cute. I just want to cuddle it. :lol:

Er, carry on.

slaps Azurah with a wet trout :D

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:22 pm 

Wait...is it weird if I feel the same way about the picture of the succubus in the 1st ed.  Monster Manual?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:06 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:Anyone else want to chime in?

I'd love to, having sold my OCE and supplements to Stormber and/or Jason Zavoda back in '95 or so (at the insistence of my now-ex-wife, who thought that I needed to pay off my student loans sooner [moronic pushover that I was, I listened to her]), but I don't think I can compete with the hilarious stories I've read so far :D :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Previous