Free Whitey!
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:31 pm 

invincibleoverlord wrote:Very kind of you Stephen…I'm sure the OCE will find a nice new home. Best of luck all… :)

Blackmoor, your miniature site is amazing. You and your wife are at the top level. I really enjoyed the scratch built stuff…It's my favorite part of the hobby. If you get a chance visit the Dwarven Forge Forum? There are many talented painters as well as do-it-yourself miniaturists. BTW, are the columns in the "Ruined Temple" standard ones for wedding cakes? I've used them and those look familiar. :roll:

I have tons of Dwarven Forge stuff as well, it is cool but a very big pain to set up.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:32 pm 

invincibleoverlord wrote:Very kind of you Stephen…I'm sure the OCE will find a nice new home. Best of luck all… :)

Blackmoor, your miniature site is amazing. You and your wife are at the top level. I really enjoyed the scratch built stuff…It's my favorite part of the hobby. If you get a chance visit the Dwarven Forge Forum? There are many talented painters as well as do-it-yourself miniaturists. BTW, are the columns in the "Ruined Temple" standard ones for wedding cakes? I've used them and those look familiar. :roll:

Hiya Mike, nice to see you back too. :D

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:56 pm 

I already have an OCE, so I don't need one, but here's my favorite D&D joke.

It is, of course, The Head of Vecna

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:22 am 

Wow, that's a generous offer!  I'm such a novice I never knew there was a white box edition.  "You mean the boxes came in colours other than red???"  :oops:

I've been watching ebay to see if you guys are right and I'll be able to pick one up at a reasonable price.  But when you're paying NZ$ into US$, at the moment if I got one I'd have to cut a door in the side of the box and move into it.  :D

Still really happy with that deities and demigods with cthulhu I got off bclarkie though!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:41 am 

El Diablo Robotico wrote:It is, of course, The Head of Vecna

heheheh that is very funny :) that would be one of the best moments to DM imo :D

oh what joy :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:04 am 

One time I had a group of players on a featureless plain except for a small stone building. Within was a table with a piece of parchment, several rings, and a golden, jeweled dagger. The parchment told the characters they had to choose their fate. The ring would send them to a place where they could redeem themselves (they had been very bad), and the dagger would end their lives. First one picks the ring and vanishes. Second one picks the dagger (very valuable), thinking he could take it and put the ring on quickly. The dagger stabs him in the heart, killing him instantly. #3 takes the ring. #4 takes the ring. The last guy takes the dagger. Why? He figured the curse was lifted and he could take the dagger and ring his way out after.
Talk about dumb.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:40 am 

Papatoetoe wrote:Wow, that's a generous offer! I'm such a novice I never knew there was a white box edition. "You mean the boxes came in colours other than red???" :oops:

I've been watching ebay to see if you guys are right and I'll be able to pick one up at a reasonable price. But when you're paying NZ$ into US$, at the moment if I got one I'd have to cut a door in the side of the box and move into it. :D

Still really happy with that deities and demigods with cthulhu I got off bclarkie though!

I am glad you are happy with it and it arrived safe and soundly. I did have to get a little bit innovative though as the damn Greyhawk folio didnt fit flat in the GPM box. :? Oh well, glad you are happy. :D

El Diablo Robotico wrote:I already have an OCE, so I don't need one, but here's my favorite D&D joke.

It is, of course, The Head of Vecna

That story is funny as hell but one thing is for sure though, there is no compensating for how really stupid some people can be. :roll:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:34 pm 

Hi,

I was DMing a "monty haul" campaign for a while, and one of the characters got a ring made with "instant resurrection" on it (I was a bit the worse for beer).

I got so fed up with his bragging that I engineered an "accident" with a large boulder falling on him.

All the rest of the party saw was a slight up-and-down shift of the boulder 16 times as his Constitution ran out.

Cheers,
Malcolm

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:45 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:I want to give it to someone who's either new to collecting, or who wants a set to play with, or who's always wanted one but is too cheap to lay out for one.

Technically, I qualify on all three counts and I'm shameless enough to admit it. Don't forget that. But if I haven't humiliated myself enough already, read on.

The original version of this story may be on a message board somewhere but this is how I remember it. It happened four or five years ago.

Deprived of real gaming, I was experimenting with massively multi-player online games, in this case, the one known as EverQuest. My character that day was an enchanter. Enchanters could, among other things, charm various creatures and have them follow certain instructions. My enchanter was a cheery, pleasant gnomish fellow, quite innocuous in his behaviour and I will, by virtue of a divinely granted Speak With Dead spell, allow him to retell the events of one particularly fateful day.

"I think it was in the North Karanas that it all started to go wrong. I took a moment to rest in the company of some gypsies who were camped by the side of the road. Soon another little gnome, just like me, came running along. Unlike me, however, this poor soul was in great distress. He was being chased and mauled by a lion from the plains beyond. He was crying for help. Of course, I acted immediately.

"I stood, for enchantment is not a school of magic one can practise when all o one's weight is on one's buttocks, and turned to see my fellow gnome make his final stand against the relentless beast. Without hesitation, concentrating solely on the lion, I cast a spell that would place the creature under my command."

Now, I realise it's just getting exciting but I should explain, for those who don't do EQ et al, that speaking in-game is achieved much like chat, through a line editor. Messages are spoken when the Enter button is pressed.

"Who's telling this story?"

Sorry.

"As I performed the somatics, words of reassurance intended for my fellow gnome's handsome ears began to form on my lips. But it was then I realised my mistake. In my haste, I had begun to perform the wrong spell. This enchantment would place under my command not only the lion but every other creature in the vicinity as well, unless the affected creatures resisted the enchantment.

"I wanted to to disrupt my own spell, to wave my arms, to run, jump, duck or sit, anything to interrupt the spell before it was completed.

"But I had begun to speak, if you recall. I had unspoken words on my lips. And in my world, such things mattered. Instead of running, jumping, waving, ducking, sitting or performing any other life-saving gesture, I simply uttered something incomprehensible. Then it was too late. My spell had been cast.

"Caught within its radius was one of the gypsies, a human woman who also, as it turned out, was an enchanter. Until now, she had been quite friendly but my apparent attempt to subdue her will had angered her greatly, so she cast a spell on me. As it happens, she was a more gifted enchanter than I. Suddenly, I had no control over my actions. I was running towards the bewildered gnome I had been trying to save only moments before. My dagger was drawn before I reached him. I plunged it into him again and again and did not stop until his bloody remains collapsed upon the field. A moment later I was set upon by the lion while the gypsy witch incinerated me with bolts of flame.

"Some time later, when myself and the other unfortunate gnome were resurrected, I apologised to him, explained what had happened, and gave him a gift of some fine magic items by way of compensation.

"He said, 'It was so strange. I shouted for help and you stood up and said, "Don't worry! I'll D D D S SWWAAAARR," as you came running up and killed me.'"

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:03 pm 

The jokes and hard luck stories are great.  But they're making it hard for me to decide on a single lucky winner.  So here's what I'm going to do:  I'll give away some supplements, too.  If you don't have them and are in the market for a copy, let me know.  I'll try to post pics tonight or tomorrow.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:19 am 

Head of Venca

I've almost got my non-serious WG7 party going down that route at the moment. I've said it's available for purchase, and explained a little about it. No-one has batted an eyelid yet.

However, I think I prefer the Gazebo story

BJS

PS - One memorable incident came from a mace-wielding cleric, played by my wife, who was being set about by stirges.
Trying to remove the offending creatures, he (she) stated
"I'll bash myself off"

Since then the cleric occasionally get knows as the bishop!
I do hope this translates into American okay  :wink:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:22 am 

b_stedman wrote:
PS - One memorable incident came from a mace-wielding cleric, played by my wife, who was being set about by stirges.
"I'll bash myself off"

I do hope this translates into American okay :wink:

very amusing brucey-lad :)

think the funniest moment for me, was me actually, playing as a chaotic neutral fighter...in i think, lost caverns of tjoscanth...could have been summit else, cant remember was so long ago. we got to this place where there was a portal. none of the party would go near it, but me being me thought "oh goodie i'll have a bit of that", so i stuck my arm in....nothing seemed to happen for about 10 seconds or so, so i pulled my arm back, only to be told that my arm had been neatly severed at the shoulder :(

worse still, i failed my system shock and bloody died  8O

turns out the portal was a one way portal to limbo or pandemonium or some such place.

i was NOT impressed let me tell you :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:24 am 

b_stedman wrote:Head of Venca

I've almost got my non-serious WG7 party going down that route at the moment. I've said it's available for purchase, and explained a little about it. No-one has batted an eyelid yet.

However, I think I prefer the Gazebo story

BJS

"I'll bash myself off"

:lol: I know what that means.
(half English plus have English friends...not counting those on here :) )

ShaneG.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:40 am 

killjoy32 wrote:...there was a portal. none of the party would go near it, but me being me thought "oh goodie i'll have a bit of that", so i stuck my arm in....nothing seemed to happen for about 10 seconds or so, so i pulled my arm back, only to be told that my arm had been neatly severed at the shoulder :(

Are you sure you aren't thinking of S1 Tomb of Horrors?  There was a Sphere of Annihilation that was part of a carving.  The mouth I think.  I remember because my high level MU threw his Quasit familiar in to see where the "hole" went. :? And a dead familiar isn't good for your health. :cry:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:54 am 

johnhuck wrote:Are you sure you aren't thinking of S1 Tomb of Horrors? There was a Sphere of Annihilation that was part of a carving. The mouth I think. I remember because my high level MU threw his Quasit familiar in to see where the "hole" went. :? And a dead familiar isn't good for your health. :cry:

hey john!

nah its not S1, never played that one. i will try and remember which module it was....really thought it was S4 tbh..... but i will get to the bottom of it :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:11 pm 

If you want a sad joke, every time I see the topic name I think, being from Boston, MA, "Free Whitey Bulger?  Geez, they haven't even caught him yet!"  :?

This might be too local for some of you to know about.  For more information on Whitey Bulger, notorious criminal wanted by the FBI and currently in hiding, as well as brother of former Mass. State Senate President William Bulger, consult your local library!  :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:41 pm 

b_stedman wrote:PS - One memorable incident came from a mace-wielding cleric, played by my wife, who was being set about by stirges.
"I'll bash myself off"

Er... I don't get it.  I might be able to figure out what "bash myself off" means, but don't know how that relates to being a bishop.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:46 pm 

El Diablo Robotico wrote:Er... I don't get it. I might be able to figure out what "bash myself off" means, but don't know how that relates to being a bishop.

I think you do get it... Bishop is a euphemism. Hmm.. this discussion and the topic title seem to go hand in...

*Hopes she hasn't said too much*

Mount Celestia doesn't want me and Baator's afraid I'll take over.

Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad at the door, Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad, Take one down, they gate in two more, Ninty-nine Blue and Green Slaad at the door...

PreviousNext