When is it OK to bid on Ebay against an Acaeum member?
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:36 am 

bclarkie wrote:
I guess that you are putting that plan into action as you just outbid me on the 1st print PHB. :wink:

Yeah, that was a wee pre-apology for the evil that is unfolding at the moment. :) I'm not trying to pick on you specifically Brian, it's just working out that way.[/quote]

Thats okay, I don't mind. :)  That doesn't mean that I am out of the picture though. :wink:[/quote]

i think the more rare the item is, the more a collector will want it, regardless of who is bidding on it.

you win some you lose some - if you want it enough, bid more :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:48 am 

If you want it, don't post it in Interesting Items.

I remember swating bullets when the Rahasia was up. Thank God MuadDib was on vacation. I'm beginning to think he works for eBay.

You know, I find I have a LOT more time and money to play with now that I am out of active collecting. It really does take quite a bit out of you.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:05 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:i think the more rare the item is, the more a collector will want it, regardless of who is bidding on it.

Probably a good rule of thumb :D

killjoy32 wrote:you win some you lose some - if you want it enough, bid more :)

Or wait for next time: unless an item is unique or pretty close (Gypsy, the RJK manuscripts, etc.), I'm generally willing to pass knowing that another chance will come eventually. That worked for me on Starstone, The Lost Abbey of Calthonwey, and other lower-profile uncommon/rare items.

Of course that does mean that I may never get a Silver Anniversary set or OCE at a decent price, since they all seem to end up being posted here :D :D

Deadlord36 wrote:You know, I find I have a LOT more time and money to play with now that I am out of active collecting. It really does take quite a bit out of you.

Frank, you make an interesting point. How much time would you estimate that you've recovered in general by being an "inactive" collector. Also, how do you define that---you're still selling stuff, obviously, and still buy the odds and ends that interest you. How exactly is your collecting different now vs. before?

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Previous