When is it OK to bid on Ebay against an Acaeum member?
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:39 am 

Just read in a thread that one Acaeum memeber did not bid on an item because another Acaeum member was the high bidder already!

I know this happens often, when is politcally OK to outbid an Acaeum member?  Most of the series collectors of D&D material are already on this board so is it first in has dibs?  Hardly seems fair if it is that one or two items you really want and the item is well within your price range.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:52 am 

Blackmoor wrote:Just read in a thread that one Acaeum memeber did not bid on an item because another Acaeum member was the high bidder already!

I know this happens often, when is politcally OK to outbid an Acaeum member? Most of the series collectors of D&D material are already on this board so is it first in has dibs? Hardly seems fair if it is that one or two items you really want and the item is well within your price range.

Oh, I dont have any problem bidding against folks from this site, but a couple of factors led to me staying away that particular time. First off and foremost deimos has recently done me a very nice favor, so I didnt want to jack his bid up becasue of that. :)  Additionally, I already own a set for myself, so in that circumstance my inclination to bid is much lower, but in some circumstances I will bid anyway. I have outbid and been outbid by just about everyone here at one point or another and I never hold a grudge about that. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:55 am 

Yeah, that's my impression-- generally all's fair, but if you're considering an "oh what the hell, it's always good to have another copy" bid and you see a fellow member in the hunt, best not to foul his efforts up.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:35 am 

I think it's fair game to bid (snipe) against whoever. I will moderate my bidding if I know someone else particularily wants something, but if I want something badly then the gloves come off.

Besides, if we didn't bid against one another, where would the Collector's Trove be?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:38 am 

Achizar wrote:Yeah, that's my impression-- generally all's fair, but if you're considering an "oh what the hell, it's always good to have another copy" bid and you see a fellow member in the hunt, best not to foul his efforts up.

Well, the first rule is "expect no mercy".  Some of us do avoid outbidding each other at times, and it's certainly appreciated.   (Thanks B!)  :)

On the other hand, if I'm really after something, I'll throw my entire budget at it...and I expect others to do the same, no holds barred.

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:45 am 

I agree with the other folks - if there's something I really want, I don't particularily care who else is bidding - I'll go to my max :)  eBay is, after all, an open market. If I knew someone really wanted something and I didn't, then I'd stay away from bidding.

Since I pretty much only bid-via-snipe, I often don't see a bidders list for the last several days of the auction. Then again, since I buy most things for reseale (and thus tend to bid low), and don't often go after the rarer items, I doubt I'll bid against Acaeum members too often ;)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:56 am 

GraysonAC wrote:Since I pretty much only bid-via-snipe, I often don't see a bidders list for the last several days of the auction. Then again, since I buy most things for reseale (and thus tend to bid low), and don't often go after the rarer items, I doubt I'll bid against Acaeum members too often ;)

I can testify to this-- I got edged by you on that S1-4 the other day, alas.  I wasn't really into it, hence my low bid, and it doesn't help that my ebay handle is different from the name I use here.

I am NOT jonb, though I may be Spartacus.  :wink:

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:30 pm 

I think it is generally ok to bid against other members, after all we do tend to buy off of each other as well.  Usually, however, when I see one of the bigger players biding on an auction I would like as well, I do shy away or place a snipe.  To be honest, that is about the best I can hope for sometimes.  I do owe harami2000 a favor and won't be bidding against him for some time, but the rest of you are fair game (and the only thing saving you is that you have way more discretionary cash than I do...but one day... :lol: ).

~jeff

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:02 pm 

Achizar wrote:I can testify to this-- I got edged by you on that S1-4 the other day, alas. I wasn't really into it, hence my low bid, and it doesn't help that my ebay handle is different from the name I use here.

I am NOT jonb, though I may be Spartacus. :wink:

Heh, checking the bidding list for that one is pretty funny. Julia, Deimos, Grodog, and I'm guessing you're zkrusty ;)   Wonder if gollem2 is an Acaeum member - if so, we can officially declare that an 'Acaeum Only Bid-Party' :P

And it still only went for $16.51, heh!

Got an H2 from the same seller for $13.50 too. Not fantastic deals, but not too shabby.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:11 pm 

GraysonAC wrote:
Achizar wrote:I can testify to this-- I got edged by you on that S1-4 the other day, alas. I wasn't really into it, hence my low bid, and it doesn't help that my ebay handle is different from the name I use here.

Heh, checking the bidding list for that one is pretty funny. Julia, Deimos, Grodog, and I'm guessing you're zkrusty ;)  Wonder if gollem2 is an Acaeum member - if so, we can officially declare that an 'Acaeum Only Bid-Party' :P

Got an H2 from the same seller for $13.50 too. Not fantastic deals, but not too shabby.

8O  Guess I didn't bid much, I'd forgotten about it completely...this one is on my "eventually" list ;)

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:24 pm 

I sniped an item from another member recently (I didn't realise they were a member until I saw their post here). Because the member got a second offer and my ebay name is somewhat disreputable, they weren't sure if it was a genuine offer at first. As recompense to this member I won't bid against them in future (thankfully I was able to post here and they know it was a genuine offer).

As for the rest of you, I'm pretty certain you'd all outbid me anyway & the majority are in the States. :p

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:35 pm 

GraysonAC wrote:

Heh, checking the bidding list for that one is pretty funny. Julia, Deimos, Grodog, and I'm guessing you're zkrusty ;)  Wonder if gollem2 is an Acaeum member - if so, we can officially declare that an 'Acaeum Only Bid-Party' :P

Yup, that's me.  And I think the reason why it only went for $16.51 is because we're Acaeum members--i.e., we know it's crap.

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:50 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:On the other hand, if I'm really after something, I'll throw my entire budget at it...and I expect others to do the same, no holds barred.

That makes me feel better about this:

post-28936.html#28936

My eBay handle, which I may have to change on the grounds that They Can See Me Coming, is dndvictim. I was going to come clean on that thread but maybe this one is more appropriate.

I felt a bit guilty because I was trying to get that book at a low price, close to the end of the auction but I was tracking a lot of other stuff at the same time, stuff I wanted more. When I saw you bid, I thought, "Oh, he'll have one already. I don't have any 1e MMs!" 8O

Then I backed out rather than risk a bidding battle. Then I regretted having bid against a helpful Acaeum member in the first place, especially when all I'd wanted was a good MM; I'm not a completist by any stretch. I didn't mean to effectively just bump the price. Sorry about that. :oops:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:16 pm 

Tmesis wrote:
deimos3428 wrote:On the other hand, if I'm really after something, I'll throw my entire budget at it...and I expect others to do the same, no holds barred.

That makes me feel better about this:

post-28936.html#28936

My eBay handle, which I may have to change on the grounds that They Can See Me Coming, is dndvictim. I was going to come clean on that thread but maybe this one is more appropriate.

I felt a bit guilty because I was trying to get that book at a low price, close to the end of the auction but I was tracking a lot of other stuff at the same time, stuff I wanted more. When I saw you bid, I thought, "Oh, he'll have one already. I don't have any 1e MMs!" 8O

Then I backed out rather than risk a bidding battle. Then I regretted having bid against a helpful Acaeum member in the first place, especially when all I'd wanted was a good MM; I'm not a completist by any stretch. I didn't mean to effectively just bump the price. Sorry about that. :oops:

Heh...no worries, I got an amazing deal on that one even with the bump...I'd actually prefer to bid against Acaeum members...it's more civilized.  

When it comes to 1st Ed. MMs, I am a completist after all...I've got all but the UK 1st & 2nd printings, and all the US printings except the 6th and the 3rd+ variant (I think).  :D

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:40 pm 

Since I probably know a handful of the Ebay handles of Acaeum members, I don't know when I am bidding against anyone or not. :P

Not that it matters much, most of the people here are much more serious when it comes to collecting than I am so I rarely see anyone from here bidding on an item I am watching. I can only think of one time that I either outbid a member or was outbid by another member.  Two darkseraphim auctions I was bidding on and damn if I didnt get outbid by bclarkie on one of them. He tried to get the other one as well but apparently my proxy bid was too high so he got one and I got the other.

I don't recall anyone ever complaining publicly that someone from the forum outbid them on an item that they wanted. But I would be surprised if most people didnt get just a bit jealous when someone from here outbids them on an item that they were hoping to win. At least they can find comfort in the fact that the item is going to someone who will cherish it and not just turn around and try to sell it for a ridiculous profit.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:41 pm 

Achizar wrote:Yup, that's me. And I think the reason why it only went for $16.51 is because we're Acaeum members--i.e., we know it's crap.

Hah! Too true.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:36 pm 

KingOfPain wrote:But I would be surprised if most people didnt get just a bit jealous when someone from here outbids them on an item that they were hoping to win.

Isn't that what the "fun finds" thread is for? To make people jealous?
:lol:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:51 pm 

KingOfPain wrote:Since I probably know a handful of the Ebay handles of Acaeum members, I don't know when I am bidding against anyone or not. :P

Not that it matters much, most of the people here are much more serious when it comes to collecting than I am so I rarely see anyone from here bidding on an item I am watching. I can only think of one time that I either outbid a member or was outbid by another member. Two darkseraphim auctions I was bidding on and damn if I didnt get outbid by bclarkie on one of them. He tried to get the other one as well but apparently my proxy bid was too high so he got one and I got the other.

I don't recall anyone ever complaining publicly that someone from the forum outbid them on an item that they wanted. But I would be surprised if most people didnt get just a bit jealous when someone from here outbids them on an item that they were hoping to win. At least they can find comfort in the fact that the item is going to someone who will cherish it and not just turn around and try to sell it for a ridiculous profit.

Sorry King, I actually remeber that. :oops: I can honestly say though that I have only been outbid 1 time that it pissed me off. The only reason I got pissed about it was because of the fact it was by someone who I know who already had the item and had actually zero intention of winning it, they were just jacking up the bid for sh*ts and giggles. Needless to say, I have since recovered and got over it. :wink: Hell, if I got pissed everytime someone from on here outbid me I'd be mortal enemies of half the people who post here. :P

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Next