Players Handbook - when is a Tenth print NOT a Tenth print?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:03 pm 

The Rulebook print run history (http://www.acaeum.com/DDIndexes/SetPages/PHB.html) for the PH states that the Tenth printing has:-

Angled TSR logo
Updated cover art (wizard casting a spell), but sticker has been removed
Orange spine
Still states "6th Printing, January 1980" on the copyright page
Cover artist attribution corrected to Jeff Easley
Contents are otherwise identical to Eighth printing
Rear cover now has a UPC code, as well as the price ($15.00) and the ISBN

I have a copy that agrees with all of the above except that there is no price on the rear cover.  If the UPC code is 394-51112-3TSR-1200, then that is present.

Any opinions :?:

Gary H. Kramer

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:00 am 

gkramer wrote:The Rulebook print run history (http://www.acaeum.com/DDIndexes/SetPages/PHB.html) for the PH states that the Tenth printing has:-

Angled TSR logo
Updated cover art (wizard casting a spell), but sticker has been removed
Orange spine
Still states "6th Printing, January 1980" on the copyright page
Cover artist attribution corrected to Jeff Easley
Contents are otherwise identical to Eighth printing
Rear cover now has a UPC code, as well as the price ($15.00) and the ISBN

I have a copy that agrees with all of the above except that there is no price on the rear cover. If the UPC code is 394-51112-3TSR-1200, then that is present.

Any opinions :?:

I assume you've seen this thread in the Collecting Appraisal forum...
http://www.acaeum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2523

It seems there are now at least two variants "between" 9th & 10th.  But this is some useful info, it suggests that the additions/corrections were done in stages, and that the price was added last.

9th - no price, no isbn, no upc, trampier
9A - no price, isbn, upc, trampier (tmesis, deimos copies)
9B - no price, isbn, upc, easley (gkramer copy)
10th - price, isbn, upc, easley corrected

I'd suggest the "defining" feature of the 10th print would be all of these corrections/additions.

YIM  

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:18 am 

Just to add more information to the 9th/10th PHB sequence, I have two copies with the following characteristics

First Copy (9A by deimos notation)

Front Cover: text under wizard consists of three lines and states "TSR Hobbies, Inc." under angled TSR logo. Has sticker.

Back Cover: has ISBN stacked over UPC code (if that's the 394-... number) in lower left corner  - no price. Has TSR address to right of angled TSR logo.

Copyright Page: states 6th printing, credits Trampier as cover artist

Second Copy (9B)

Front Cover: text under wizard consists of four lines (sentence "To complement the original version we've added new cover art!" added), states "TSR, Inc." under angled TSR logo. No sticker

Back Cover: has ISBN stacked over UPC code in lower left corner - no price. Does not have TSR address to right of angled TSR logo.

Copyright Page: states 6th printing, credits Easley as cover artist.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:11 pm 

cgi.ebay.ca/advanced-dugeons-and-dragon ... dZViewItem

I hope the seller didn't come to the conclusion that their PHB is "rare" from reading this thread.  Just because a minor variant is not listed on Acaeum, does not make it rare.   :roll:  I've got one of these, I think I paid $7 for it.  I'm pretty sure if I went hunting for 9th/10th print variants, I could pick up a few more in short order...

Anyway, I've noticed a few more details:

On a recently acquired 10th, I've noticed some other changes.  Comparing it to my "9A":

* the TSR Address on the back cover (next to the angled TSR logo) has been removed

* the spine now reads "by Gary Gygax" and "TSR, Inc." , not "by E. Gary Gygax" and "TSR Hobbies, Inc.".  

* the ISBN and product code on the 9A are bold compared with the 10th

Can anyone else confirm these details on any of the 9th variants?

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:01 pm 

Dude, that appletruck guy is as dumb as, well an appletruck.  :wink:  Check out some of his other auction listings and also his absolutely fabulous feedback.  Brings back memories of good ole' maxwell.  :roll:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:03 am 

Nice spelling of "Dungeons" as well. What a maroon ...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:07 am 

Actually, this guy's lot of 90 books seems like an interesting deal...depending on what the reserve might be.   :?

I would not be surprised to see some Acaeum members bid on it...before Creep1962 buys it.

Shipping might be a problem...can't remember...was this guy in Canada?   :roll:

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:38 pm 

On a recently acquired 10th, I've noticed some other changes. Comparing it to my "9A":

* the TSR Address on the back cover (next to the angled TSR logo) has been removed

* the spine now reads "by Gary Gygax" and "TSR, Inc." , not "by E. Gary Gygax" and "TSR Hobbies, Inc.".

* the ISBN and product code on the 9A are bold compared with the 10th

Can anyone else confirm these details on any of the 9th variants?

I can confirm the three changes you pointed out - in my case, on what appears to be a 9B (using your notation) printing.