Staple Rust - What can be done?
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Author

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1787
Joined: Apr 26, 2005
Last Visit: Aug 04, 2020
Location: Indianapolis

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:25 am 
 

Hi guys,

What, if anything, can be done to combat staple rust.  Is it feasable to remove rusting staples and replace.  Does this hurt value?  Do you buy if staple rust is mentioned.  Wondering what you longtime collectors do about this?

Martin

  


Active Collector

Posts: 58
Joined: Jan 24, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 23, 2007
Location: UK

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:40 pm 
 

I say leave it be - you know it's genuine.
I'm more cautious if it isn't rusty

BJS

  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:10 pm 
 

b_stedman wrote:I say leave it be - you know it's genuine.
I'm more cautious if it isn't rusty

BJS

Agreed; certainly for the older material. :)

Rusty Staples...
Rusty Staples
Rusty Staples
The dreaded staple rust

On an otherwise fine item I personally wouldn't consider staple rust as a major fault unless it's really bad. (Rather a minty, crisp Greyhawk with some staple rust than a fairly well used copy with none).
The tendency to rust varies so much from product to product, anyhow; even within printings of the OD&D books, for example.

  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1787
Joined: Apr 26, 2005
Last Visit: Aug 04, 2020
Location: Indianapolis

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:54 pm 
 

Harami2000,

Thanks for the links to the old threads.  I'm going to leave the rusted staples alone for now.

Martin

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6244
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Apr 20, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:15 pm 
 

Prufrock wrote:Harami2000,

Thanks for the links to the old threads. I'm going to leave the rusted staples alone for now.

Martin

WD40 and wire wool get rid of staple rust. Vinegar is also quite good.


This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

 WWW  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:31 pm 
 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
Prufrock wrote:Harami2000,

Thanks for the links to the old threads. I'm going to leave the rusted staples alone for now.

Martin

WD40 and wire wool get rid of staple rust. Vinegar is also quite good.

That last one surprises me.  I thought vinegar would cause rust, not prevent it.   :?

Anyway, all of these solutions would severely damage the paper around the staples, so definitely remove 'em first.

 YIM  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6244
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Apr 20, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:47 pm 
 

deimos3428 wrote:Anyway, all of these solutions would severely damage the paper around the staples, so definitely remove 'em first.

That's funny. That's exactly what happened to my copy of Blackmoor. :D Wire wool gets rid of those annoying pencil marks too, and vinegar softens the paper up nicely.


This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

 WWW  
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1