Question for sellers - What countries have you shipped to?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:19 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:I assume the $5.60 is their "Small Packets USA" service. Strangely they don't seem to have a "Small Packets Canada" service, which is unfortunate.

However, if its dimensions are small enough (380x270x20 mm), it can go "Oversize lettermail" for $1.70 (up to 250g), or $2.45 (up to 500g), anywhere in Canada. (In my personal experience, DMG stuffed in bubble mailers do not meet the necessary size requirements, they are too wide).
canadapost.ca/personal/offerings/letter ... ions-e.asp

Yep, that's the one.

The 20mm thickness is the killer on OL lettermail. That's about 3/4". About the only time I get to use lettermail is when someone buys a thin module or two.

The DMG would be far too heavy anyways, heh. Most of the core books are over 750g, let alone 500g :(

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:49 pm 

GraysonAC:

Have you ever been to an RPG store in Vancouver called The Games People? In Gastown on Water Street, I believe. I first went there in the summer sometime circa '87-'89. I bought Lathan's Gold and Rahasia there - still have the modules with the Games People price tag right on the module cover. When I next returned to Vancouver in summer 2001, I was amazed to find the store still in existence. And they still had a few boxes of new shrinkwrapped 1st Edition modules, although they were fairly expensive. But just for the hell of it, I bought a copy of the cheapest one - the original blue Isle of Dread, which I didn't have.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:37 pm 

Yep. I was there a few months ago in fact. They've got a huge selection of games, mostly board games and bookshelf games, but a large chunk of D&D too. Their prices, unfortunately, stink. A lot of stuff is mark-up from cover price - $12-15 common modules, $60 boxed sets, etc. I did find a few good deals (Planescape stuff, which actually sells for more than cover), but mostly it's just boxes and boxes of stuff they're just sitting on :(

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:41 pm 

While we are on the topic of Canada Post and Canada Customs, my biggest problem with them is that when they open parcels that have a declared value and even a bill of sale or packing slip, they don't always use those values and instead come up with their own value to charge tax on.  Sellers that put an inflated customs value on packages really bugs me too.  I have had packages with declared value of $5, cover price of $19.95 opened and then charged tax on $100.

Although it is an added hassle, I generally end up sending in all my customs charges back to be "re-evaluated" by changing their description to Games (since all books, regardless of value, are applicable to taxes) and putting a value of under $10 on them with an ebay auction printout.  I get the tax money and their box opening priviledge charge back.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:53 pm 

Mars wrote:While we are on the topic of Canada Post and Canada Customs, my biggest problem with them is that when they open parcels that have a declared value and even a bill of sale or packing slip, they don't always use those values and instead come up with their own value to charge tax on. Sellers that put an inflated customs value on packages really bugs me too. I have had packages with declared value of $5, cover price of $19.95 opened and then charged tax on $100.

Although it is an added hassle, I generally end up sending in all my customs charges back to be "re-evaluated" by changing their description to Games (since all books, regardless of value, are applicable to taxes) and putting a value of under $10 on them with an ebay auction printout. I get the tax money and their box opening priviledge charge back.

Good point, I forgot to mention this...you can generally get most/all of those frivilious charges reversed, as you stated.  At least that's what my dad told me when I asked the other week...he works for the CRA (or whatever they've changed their name to this week)  :)

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:08 pm 

Mars wrote:While we are on the topic of Canada Post and Canada Customs, my biggest problem with them is that when they open parcels that have a declared value and even a bill of sale or packing slip, they don't always use those values and instead come up with their own value to charge tax on. Sellers that put an inflated customs value on packages really bugs me too. I have had packages with declared value of $5, cover price of $19.95 opened and then charged tax on $100.

I think that's a by-product of people insuring items for the max value. Some of the CP people occasionally ask me if I want to put $100 value on the item, since that's the max insurable that CP ships with no charge. I always tell 'em no, since if it's got a $100 value sticker on it, then that's what my customer is going to have to pay taxes on. And I don't think they'd thank me for that :P

Although it is an added hassle, I generally end up sending in all my customs charges back to be "re-evaluated" by changing their description to Games (since all books, regardless of value, are applicable to taxes) and putting a value of under $10 on them with an ebay auction printout. I get the tax money and their box opening priviledge charge back.

*blink* I had no idea you could get the handling fee refunded. I know you can collect the GST back if you're a GST registrant, but.. wow.

How do you go about doing that?  :lol:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:47 pm 

I think that I am going to use that as a sales pitch on my next roung of auctions. I can see it now:

"I know that this B2-Keep on the Borderlands seems like a very common item, but I recently sent a similar one to a buyer in Canada and the Canada Customs Board just declared that this module has a value of $100.00". :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Wait a second, what the heck am I saying? I think I have been reading to many jonb auctions. :oops: :P

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:15 pm 

GraysonAC wrote:
Mars wrote:
*blink* I had no idea you could get the handling fee refunded. I know you can collect the GST back if you're a GST registrant, but.. wow.

How do you go about doing that? :lol:

First of all, I was wrong, they're now "Canada Border Service Agency".  :roll:

Here's the link to more than you'd ever want to know.  Please note this only applies to "non-commercial" goods -- if you're operating a business, you probably want to check out the "commercial" link, which is a whole different ballgame.
cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/rc4051/rc4051- ... l#P46_2020

Of particular interest to this discussion would be the sections "The $5 handling fee" and "What if you question the amount you owe?"

In short, items under $20 (or $60, if a gift) are tax and/or duty free, and therefore the $5 handling fee does not apply and should not be charged.  It's a hassle, but you can get this money back.  Good luck!

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:59 am 

Ok, thanks. I'm a business, so I'll have to look into the process. Looks hellishly complicated, but might be worth it.

Previous