Sales on Ebay that make you feel guilty
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:51 pm 

Ever had any sales on Ebay that made you feel guilty or simply astonished?

I sold a B2 once and it went to $40.00 before the bidding stopped.

Also I got over $30.00 US for the rulebooks from the basic and expert sets!

What other sales have you Acaeum members got that astonished you!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:00 pm 

I dont sell anything so I dont get to feel guilty about taking money from morons.  :twisted:   But as a seller I have kicked myself a time or two after spending what I felt was a normal amount and then finding out I paid way too much for the item.

A couple of years ago I won an auction for Greyhawk Ruins.  I think the auction ended at around $85.  I saw another one (in better shape) a week later go for $35 or $40.

Have had some good luck though.  I see so many people bidding unbelievably high prices for the Hellbound box set and X10 and I got both of mine from Darkside Games for under $20.  So I guess it all evens out in the end.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:11 pm 

I sold a decent shape Cthulhu Deities and Demigods last year for $91.00. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:24 pm 

KingOfPain wrote:
Have had some good luck though. I see so many people bidding unbelievably high prices for the Hellbound box set and X10 and I got both of mine from Darkside Games for under $20. So I guess it all evens out in the end.

I once bought 3 hellbound boxsets from a local dealer for half retail and promptly sold two of them on Ebay for $130.00 each :D

This was a few years ago as well (2002)

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:10 pm 

KingOfPain wrote:I dont sell anything so I dont get to feel guilty about taking money from morons. :twisted:  But as a seller I have kicked myself a time or two after spending what I felt was a normal amount and then finding out I paid way too much for the item.

Yeah. Got into a bidding frenzy a couple of times myself. Didn't overpay by too much though.

Got Skarda's Mirror, Howl From the North, Return to White Plume Mountain, and The Rod of Seven Parts box set for my birthday, so I'm not too upset that I paid what I did.

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:53 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:Ever had any sales on Ebay that made you feel guilty or simply astonished?

I sold a B2 once and it went to $40.00 before the bidding stopped.

Also I got over $30.00 US for the rulebooks from the basic and expert sets!

What other sales have you Acaeum members got that astonished you!

I once sold a set of the Gygax written Gord the Rogue books for $100, two bidders really got into it.  I felt bad for the winner so I said orders $100 and over were free shipping, just made that up on the spot.  I don't think I've sold a set since then for anything over $40, I think my next set I put up went for about $30 or so.
Mike B.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:54 pm 

Urgh, now I feel guilty, I just got a copy of Nightwail (I know, not rare), for 1p.  :oops:

I feel a little silly/cheated when I pay over the odds on an item, but it's swings and roundabouts. And when you really want something, an extra couple of pounds is generally ok (why oh why do I want *everything* ;-)  ).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:04 pm 

Winterwords wrote:why oh why do I want *everything* ;-) .

I feel your pain, brother.

Hurts so good, though.

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:36 pm 

I used to feel guilty for winning auctions at $0.01, or $0.99. But, I long ago decided that folks aren't listing things with such low starting prices to be kind, they're betting on a bidding frenzy because of the low price attracting more bidders.

I think the worst/best of that sort I ever did was winning a dozen or so modules from one guy for about $0.50. And then he shipped them to me for $5, and I think the postage was $7.50 or something. I'm not a jackass, so I sent him another $3 to cover postage and the envelope he used :P

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:49 pm 

bclarkie wrote:I sold a decent shape Cthulhu Deities and Demigods last year for $91.00. :)

I paid about that for mine. :oops: Was it to me? :?
I wouldn't post my shamefully successful sales on here because you guys buy them. :D

This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:23 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
bclarkie wrote:I sold a decent shape Cthulhu Deities and Demigods last year for $91.00. :)

I paid about that for mine. :oops: Was it to me? :?
I wouldn't post my shamefully successful sales on here because you guys buy them. :D

Well, IIRC it was a UK bidder who won, but for some reason I dont think it was you Ian. Let me check my feedback left and see if I can refresh my memory as I think I sold it around late January or February of 2004. :wink:

<edit>
Doh, looking back at my feedback I am now starting to think it was you becuase you bought 4 items from me in February of '04'. :oops:  Hey look at it this way, I made up for it this past spring with the Dark Dungeon auction that appeared in the Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread a few months ago for the sold but unlisted Dark Dungeons II and Castle of Entropy. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:19 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
mbassoc2003 wrote:I paid about that for mine. :oops: Was it to me? :?

Well, IIRC it was a UK bidder who won, but for some reason I dont think it was you Ian. Let me check my feedback left and see if I can refresh my memory as I think I sold it around late January or February of 2004. :wink:

<edit>
Doh, looking back at my feedback I am now starting to think it was you becuase you bought 4 items from me in February of '04'. :oops: Hey look at it this way, I made up for it this past spring with the Dark Dungeon auction that appeared in the Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread a few months ago for the sold but unlisted Dark Dungeons II and Castle of Entropy. :wink:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Amazing how small this world really is!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:51 am 

bclarkie wrote:Well, IIRC it was a UK bidder who won, but for some reason I dont think it was you Ian. Let me check my feedback left and see if I can refresh my memory as I think I sold it around late January or February of 2004.

I bought mine back in October from the US. I paid around $90 for it. I've learnt a lot since then. :oops:

This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:16 pm 

Most of my sales are through my ebay store so I don't get to have that "guilty" feeling too often.  But I listed a duplicate book into auction a few weeks ago.  (Both the one in my store and the auction one were like new condition) started it at $4.95 or something and it shot up to over $20.00 when I had another one sitting in my store fore $9.95.

Go figure!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:14 pm 

Reindeergamez wrote:Most of my sales are through my ebay store so I don't get to have that "guilty" feeling too often. But I listed a duplicate book into auction a few weeks ago. (Both the one in my store and the auction one were like new condition) started it at $4.95 or something and it shot up to over $20.00 when I had another one sitting in my store fore $9.95.

Go figure!

yeah i had something like that too. i had an auction for a judges guild item won at £12.53 i think it was, and there was one in my ebay shop for £2.49 :)

was rather amusing that i thought :D

Al

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:44 pm 

I have seen this sort of thing happen a lot in my buying-- there will be a feeding frenzy over one item, and I'll walk off with a similar item at a much lower price in an auction that ended only a short time later.  I always wonder why the 2nd, 3rd and 4th place finishers didn't rush over to the auction I was in with the same level of bids.

Wait, why am I complaining?  :wink: