The Endless Annoyance of "Current" D&D minis
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:59 pm 

DnDGeek wrote:The ogre magi (I changed Enthar's race) was a different story, though. He was important to the campaign, so I wanted a really nice figure. I grabbed Reaper's awesome new OM figure, took a week to paint him and he looked fantastic. Then the party went and killed him in 1 stinking round. Maybe I shoulda grabbed a plastic one!

The plastic one would run you about $9, so don't feel too bad :P

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:27 pm 

My new annoyance along these lines are the "Dice Bags"  

Yes, please list more odd floral print homemade sacks and clog up the RP category! :P

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:06 pm 

Anybody else notice they released a new series of crappy plastic minis?  :lol:  (add "-drums" to your searches, if you're asleep.)

This is getting very pathetic.  I wonder what look the artist gives them when they ask him to design an "ogre war hulk", as opposed to every other ogre.  :roll:

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:39 pm 

The thing that really annoys me is that I can't filter out '-minis' or '-miniature' because I'm lusting for more of the miniature 1st edition reprints by 21st Century.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:28 pm 

NetRodent wrote:The thing that really annoys me is that I can't filter out '-minis' or '-miniature' because I'm lusting for more of the miniature 1st edition reprints by 21st Century.

Yes, that sucks.  At least they haven't come out with the "Garden Path" or "Woodgrain" line of minis yet, or some such nonsense.  I really shouldn't give them ideas..

YIM  

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:38 pm 

NetRodent wrote:The thing that really annoys me is that I can't filter out '-minis' or '-miniature' because I'm lusting for more of the miniature 1st edition reprints by 21st Century.

Those mini-reprints are really neat. The little, tiny boxed sets are the best ones, IMO.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:54 pm 

Our group uses these plastic figures but luckily the GM seems to enjoy buying them and he's got hundreds of them so thankfully all I have to do is use and enjoy them. I like the paint jobs on them - alot are really good!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:10 pm 

I also am irritated by this constant expansion. At one time the sellers were considerate and only listed with "D&D" in the title line. Now they are beginning to AD&D to get more exposure.

On the other hand, it sure would have been cool to have them available back in the day.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:36 pm 

GraysonAC wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:
what does that mean?

Your Mileage May Vary

A good chunk of the plastic miniatures are actually pretty nice, and have paint-jobs that are better than a lot of folks could do ;)  The newer sets are better looking than most of the older sets.

Check the WotC galleries:
D&D Miniatures Gallery

The order of release is: Harbinger, Dragoneye, Archfiends, Giants of Legend, Aberrations, Deathknell, Angelfire.

I know some of the "old-timers" ( :P ) won't like them, but they're a heckuva lot less expensive, both in time and cash, to buy and use for D&D. And best of all for the D&D game itself, they're profitable - which means WotC isn't in fear of tanking anytime soon :)

With the exception of the Sand Giant...which looks really stupid in every depiction...what I saw was a line of really nice miniatures.  Plastics are so much better than they used to be.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:13 am 

I'm not allowed to complain too much about the plastic minis, since they pay a significant chunk of my pay check, but the listings are annoying. I wish eBay had a system like slashdot where you could rate an auction's relevance to whichever category you're browsing. They really need to create a separate category for D&D minis.

(I can't wait until sellers start spamming the Ral Partha listings with them...  :roll: )

Mike Mearls
RPG Developer, Wizards of the Coast

Previous