Those tiny "cuts" on the spine
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:48 pm 

I've seen enough modules pass through my hands to know that there must be a reason that every once in awhile I get one with a tiny "cut" on the spine (usually a few inches down from the top).

The cuts are always the same and affect the interior booklet as well.  What is the signficance of them?  Why were they put there?   :?:

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:07 pm 

You are talking about those pesky little 1/8th inch notches? I see them from time to time, usually in groups. I think they were damaged by the printer, but it doesn't make sense when see the same thing on several different modules. I am going to guess they were deliberately "scored" and distributed as freebie copies for magazine reviews, etc...

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:21 pm 

Many of the modules that came in the 10th Anniversary Bonus packs were notched.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:26 pm 

What prompted me to post this question is a current auction for a large lot of items.  In it, the seller refers to several of these modules and calls them "cancellation cuts" .  

Did TSR possibly have a credit program with certain vendors for modules that didn't sell?  That would also explain why the 10th anniversary bonus packs have many modules with "notches".  They could have been returned stock.  They were bundled in the Bonus packs and resold (eventually).

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:39 pm 

It's an "overstock notch".  I'm not exactly sure why it's done (why it's important to delineate overstock from normal stock), nor do I know whether it was done by dealers or by TSR (or both).   It's a fairly common practice in the bookselling field.

Foul

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:13 am 

Overstock markings are also in the form of little colored dots that they put on the spine of a book. Maybe they notched the stuff that was too thin to be marked that way?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:04 am 

They are also in the form of holepunches in the upper corner. A lot of the old Wee Warriors/Little Soldier-style items were hole punched.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:45 pm 

I know for a fact that I bought some of the 10th anniversary sets back in the day, but I think the only module that I still have with a notch is one of my copies of C1....

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:17 pm 

FoulFoot wrote:It's an "overstock notch". I'm not exactly sure why it's done (why it's important to delineate overstock from normal stock), nor do I know whether it was done by dealers or by TSR (or both).  It's a fairly common practice in the bookselling field.

Foul

Because the overstock stuff is often sold to dollar stores and the like for whatever price the distributor can get for it if it doesn't sell out the first time around.  As an example, I had bought a whole bunch of DC Heroes stuff for a dollar a book many many years ago.  I don't have any of it anymore, having gotten rid of my DC Heroes stuff, but paying 1/10th the cover price for support material for a game I had was a good deal.

CD's and records are notched like this as well.  Paperback books are a bit of a pain.  Sometimes the front cover is stripped off the book and then the book is sold.  Usually that's not too kosher as that book has been reported as unsold and destroyed, the purpose behind taking the front cover off the book in the first place.  Hardcovers generally do not get stripped, but if they do, then the dustjacket, if available, is taken.