Dealers
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:06 am 

Badmike wrote:Maybe we old timers have subtly formed a "Good Old Boys" network without even knowing it, with rules of behavior that are unspoken but adhered to religiously.

Hah. Yes, I think I can safely vouch for that.

Since these are just unspoken "rules", we can't expect newbies to obey them, suggestions can be made but in the long run this forum is pretty open ended and I like it that way.

Indeed ;)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:08 am 

Badmike wrote:Maybe we old timers have subtly formed a "Good Old Boys" network without even knowing it, with rules of behavior that are unspoken but adhered to religiously. You know, you come onto the forum and lurk for awhile, then you post a few innocuous comments and a little bio in the Introduction thread, then maybe after a week or so you start a subject thread, and then along the way after a few weeks you go to the Classifieds and say "By The Way, I'm looking for Erol Otus nude artwork and oh yeh an Orange B3, and I want to sell my collection of RPGA lunchboxes".

Damnit, now you have revealed my plan to the masses, and I have been working so hard to join.

Back on topic though, I also do not want to see the TSR stock list reprinted as a post in the classifieds, I don't mind a noob posting a common item as a rare (it just does not happen that often).  If you are going to post 4 pages of items for sale in your store, it would be better to just post a link to your own "Whats New" section, use the classifieds to annouce an update or to showcase "rares".  That being said, I will likely be using said thread to post a link to the items I will be selling soon (nothing that special).

~jeff

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:38 pm 

Personally - I thinkt he posts by Titan are tacky, and make me even less likely to want to deal with them.  But the other post doesn't bother me in the least, seems to be someone who genuinely wants to get rid of their stuff outside of ebay. (which I can 100% understand, unless you know the ropes and know your stock the fees can kill you!)  I appriciate seeing the advertisments neatly contained in classifieds, and not so many seeping into the regular posts.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:48 pm 

Badmike wrote:and I want to sell my collection of RPGA lunchboxes".

Wow! RPGA lunchboxes! Must set up a new eBay search... :lol:

Edit: Damn! Out of print again: http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:5U ... x%22&hl=de

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:48 pm 

Ralf Toth wrote:
Badmike wrote:and I want to sell my collection of RPGA lunchboxes".

Edit: Damn! Out of print again: http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:5U ... x%22&hl=de

LOL..I tried to pick up something that didn't exactly ever exist for my example. Next you'll be telling me there's a portfolio of Erol Otus nudes out there somewhere... 8O

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:13 am 

Badmike wrote:LOL..I tried to pick up something that didn't exactly ever exist for my example. Next you'll be telling me there's a portfolio of Erol Otus nudes out there somewhere... 8O

Mike B.

Actually! its funny you should say that ....  :D  :D  :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:32 am 

Badmike wrote:
Ralf Toth wrote:

LOL..I tried to pick up something that didn't exactly ever exist for my example. Next you'll be telling me there's a portfolio of Erol Otus nudes out there somewhere... 8O

Mike B.

I don't care how influential and important an artist he is, I am not interested in seeing Erol Otus nude.  :lol:

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:57 pm 

... and now Titan is posting TWO lists.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:58 pm 

GraysonAC wrote:... and now Titan is posting TWO lists.

How nice huh? :evil:   I have a sneaking suspicion that it will start to increase unless something is done to curb it.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:28 pm 

Is there no moderator on that particular forum? Would the moderator explain the forum's position on this?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:01 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:

Is there no moderator on that particular forum? Would the moderator explain the forum's position on this?

hear hear - please mods do or say something!

i would LOVE to moderate *jumps up and down excitedly* :)

dont call me killjoy for nothing ya know :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:11 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:

I believe that  Foul is the only moderator for this forum.  I certainly can't speak for him, but I do know that he is sometimes out of the country and unable to reply.  I am sure he will address the concerns in this post at some point . . .

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:17 pm 

I apologize for the late reply -- I've been around, but haven't been reading this thread.

The moderator's position is that Titan Games isn't doing anything wrong.  Yes, he's posting his list once a week.  Yes, he posted two messages this time instead of just one.  No, this is not a big deal.

The Classifieds forum very nearly replicates rec.games.frp.marketplace, though without the random spam.  You may consider Titan Games' postings "spam", but he has just as much right to list his wares as you do.  If he continues to post multiple messages at once (where one would suffice), or if the frequency of postings gets ridiculous, I'll say something to him.  Until then, just... skip over it.  Don't read his posts.  For chrissakes, there's only a handful of new messages in there per day anyway.

Though I can tell by the number of post-views that at least some people are interested in reading them -- and since the only negative thing I've heard about Titan Games is "high prices", I don't imagine that the universe will end because of it.

Foul

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:24 pm 

FoulFoot wrote:I apologize for the late reply -- I've been around, but haven't been reading this thread.

The moderator's position is that Titan Games isn't doing anything wrong. Yes, he's posting his list once a week. Yes, he posted two messages this time instead of just one. No, this is not a big deal.

The Classifieds forum very nearly replicates rec.games.frp.marketplace, though without the random spam. You may consider Titan Games' postings "spam", but he has just as much right to list his wares as you do. If he continues to post multiple messages at once (where one would suffice), or if the frequency of postings gets ridiculous, I'll say something to him. Until then, just... skip over it. Don't read his posts. For chrissakes, there's only a handful of new messages in there per day anyway.

Though I can tell by the number of post-views that at least some people are interested in reading them -- and since the only negative thing I've heard about Titan Games is "high prices", I don't imagine that the universe will end because of it.

Foul

I agree with this, nothing to get worked up over anyway.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:45 am 

I think the major objection was that he doesn't contribute anything to the board, and just uses it as free advertising. Given the friendly, info-sharing nature of the Acaeum, I think that rubs a lotta people the wrong way.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:42 am 

Be that as it may -- that's to his detriment.  He's missing out on some great conversations.  It costs very little to ignore his postings.

Foul

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:52 pm 

If all fails...just let Titan Games know that you don't like their business practices.

They are available online, after all.

I think that the major  beef with TitanGames is that they are perceived as badguys because they try to make money off of their comical shipping policies.

If I can stand the crap...and if I want the item enough...I will buy from them.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:06 pm 

Badmike wrote:You know, you come onto the forum and lurk for awhile, then you post a few innocuous comments and a little bio in the Introduction thread, then maybe after a week or so you start a subject thread, and then along the way after a few weeks you go to the Classifieds and say "By The Way, I'm looking for Erol Otus nude artwork and oh yeh an Orange B3, and I want to sell my collection of RPGA lunchboxes".

Wow, that pretty much sums up my activity to a "T".

Ralf Toth wrote:Damn! Out of print again: http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:5U ... x%22&hl=de

LOL; that's 1000x funnier that it's actually a real product.  The RPGA network is such a fun idea, but the real thing...not so much.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein
http://www.dungeonsdeepdesigns.com

PreviousNext