Dealers
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:39 am 

I really think it's the "length" of the post that has caused such a disturbance.  I usually post when I have some Rare or Semi-Rare items and sometimes make posts for large "Groups" of items:  

"Many Modules", "Large Amount of Forgotten Realms" or even many "Battletech" or "Comic Books".  

But I keep it real short and simply post a link.  I believe that's the intent here:  the Classifieds are similar to what you would see in the newspaper - a brief description and how those interested can get more info/contact you.  NOT a comprehensive list of every item, a description and the prices.

Not that one or two instances will hurt anything . . . but it goes along with the thought:  "If eveyone started doing it, then . . ."

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:42 pm 

Badmike wrote: All in all, I guess it wouldn't matter if the posts weren't so long, weren't so full of common stuff at premium prices, and weren't so frequently posted. What's wrong with just a link to the Ebay or the retail site? All things sonsidered, everyone here has the power to simply skip the postings by Titan games if they wish....as I have been doing.

Mike B.

Mike, I'm glad you posted.  Personally, I like the way you run your show:  succint updates, nice stuff, fair shipping charges.  Obviously, all sellers/dealers are not cut of the same cloth, so criticizing one for their gratuitous use of the boards doesn't apply by default to the others.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:58 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:Mike, I'm glad you posted. Personally, I like the way you run your show: succint updates, nice stuff, fair shipping charges. Obviously, all sellers/dealers are not cut of the same cloth, so criticizing one for their gratuitous use of the boards doesn't apply by default to the others.

yeah i will second that. mike generally doesnt list feckin hundreds of things to trawl thru, but generalises it quite nicely and gives you a link to the shop, which is cool if you wanna go look. but the reason i like the posts is that he always has something there you would probably want and therefore interest you enough to go look. its not always run-of-the-mill overpriced stuff.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:59 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
afoolandhis$ wrote:Mike, I'm glad you posted. Personally, I like the way you run your show: succint updates, nice stuff, fair shipping charges. Obviously, all sellers/dealers are not cut of the same cloth, so criticizing one for their gratuitous use of the boards doesn't apply by default to the others.

yeah i will second that. mike generally doesnt list feckin hundreds of things to trawl thru, but generalises it quite nicely and gives you a link to the shop, which is cool if you wanna go look. but the reason i like the posts is that he always has something there you would probably want and therefore interest you enough to go look. its not always run-of-the-mill overpriced stuff.

Al

Thanks Guys...I try to wait until I have unusual/rare/interesting items before I post on the Classifieds, obviously no one cares if I list some more A-series or S-series stuff one week, or update my large Dragon magazine selection unless there are early issues.  I suppose it would be different if the entire intent of this site wasn't catering to what I consider the "elite" RPG collector.   Although I am always surprised when one of the regulars on the board emails me for a request like "I need that S1, I never picked it up....!" Still, I don't see any reason to post alerts to listing commons unless they are in shrink or mint or something.  But to each his own, I guess, there are no hard and fast guidelines.  There are plenty of things to dogpile Titan games for besides the Classifieds listings...

Mike B.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:28 pm 

And in the interests of full disclosure, Titan just offered me some Blood Wars cards at an entirely reasonable price (checking my Classified post, I guess) ;)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:52 am 

GraysonAC wrote:..............at an entirely reasonable price

That sounds very suspicious to me. Are you sure its not a spoof e-mail from someone else? :D

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:54 pm 

Well, he PM'd me about it, so I'm pretty sure it's legit.

But, I'm not sure if he realizes I'm Canadian, so his shipping cost will be higher. He was including shipping. We'll see if the price stays the same ;)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:22 pm 

GraysonAC wrote:Well, he PM'd me about it, so I'm pretty sure it's legit.

But, I'm not sure if he realizes I'm Canadian, so his shipping cost will be higher. He was including shipping. We'll see if the price stays the same ;)

It was the comment about them being at a reasonable price that threw me. :D

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:38 am 

beyondthebreach wrote:I really think it's the "length" of the post that has caused such a disturbance.

Well, I agreed with that statement up until this morning, when a newbie (seemingly created only to advertise) posted his "hard to find" FR16 twice. The classifieds thread is becoming a joke as more people abuse it. :evil:

[edit]Ok, ok, I checked eBay and I can kind of see why someone would say it's "hard to find" -- apparently they made a new shiny d20 hardcover, which confuses the search. :roll:

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:51 am 

Titan Games just posted another one...but this one seems truly humourous to me, maybe I missed it last time around:

Or: just SHIP your unwanted Games, Movies and Music to us (include a note inside with your name, address, phone and email address, for FAST offer).

Hmm, I wonder what that offer might be, after you've already shipped your unwanted stuff to him...$0, perhaps?  :roll:

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:47 pm 

It's bad enough that Brian "Old Sardul" Collins makes these posts that most people here dont really want to see but what really irks me is the prices this guy thinks some of this crap is worth.

MegaTraveller Boxed Set (0210) [120643, $50.00, Box XF & contents NM+]   Uhhh...no thanks.  Why would I spend $50 on an XF Megatraveller box set when I can get one in better condition on Ebay for half that.

Star Wars The Movie Trilogy Sourcebook (40076) [120645, $35.00, XF]
Sure thing.  I would much rather spend $35 and buy it from them even though I can get it at Half-Price books for $8.

WGA1: Falcon's Revenge (9279) [120642, $20.00, XF - No buildings; Module Only]
WGA2: Falconmaster (9289) [120640, $20.00, XF - No buildings; Module Only]   $20 for XF copies with no buildings?!?

And correct me if I am wrong but that Indiana Jones stuff by WEG doesnt usually go for half of what they are wanting for it.

I've got a proposal, if someone wants to advertise their website for a legitimate store (not an Ebay store) then they should have to pay for it.   I dont see why "Old Sardul" cant fork over a few bucks a month if he wants to list his crap here.  If he is getting people to pay at these prices, he can certainly afford it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:52 pm 

I see that Old Ars'ole has posted another list. What is Scott's take on this? He is notable by his absence on this thread.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:27 am 

So, has this become the latest place to post ads for all your crap?

http://www.acaeum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2512

It seems as though the classified section is fast becoming irrelivant. I'll post future 'classified' items in the general forum if its all the same.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:14 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:So, has this become the latest place to post ads for all your crap?

It seems as though the classified section is fast becoming irrelivant. I'll post future 'classified' items in the general forum if its all the same.

That one isnt quite in the same context as the Titan one tho is it? as its a kinda one-off situation, as most things like that should be.....

fwiw, i sell quite a few things and i rarely advertise in the classifieds, because i just don't like doing so. Think i have used it once or twice to sell, but i mainly post there when i am looking for something.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:16 am 

The classifieds section is starting to look like the newsgroup. Next time Cougie will show up and advertise his list of VGC stuff.  :roll:

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:50 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:So, has this become the latest place to post ads for all your crap?

In the poster's defense, it seems to be more of a one time only posting (not a constantly updated list or weekly sales extravaganza). Plus, there are a few items that people on this forum might be looking for (Dragon Magazine archive, WGR modules, Wrath of Immortals SW, Greyhawk stuff, etc).  I have to admit I've probably posted lists with far less interesting content  :cry:
  Remember we have new people coming onto these boards daily.  I don't know if all of them are the "elite" type of collector that likes to hang around these parts, but everyone had to get a start somewhere.  I know the old timers here roll their eyes when someone wants to part with their "rare" copy of Greyhawk Ruins or whatever, but for some of the lurkers here that may be an item they don't have yet.  
     I think a lot of the animosity comes from the sudden influx of Classified posters with single digit postings here on the forum suddenly putting everything in their games closest plus whatever is under the kitchen sink up for sale without as much as a single "Hi, I'm Bob" in the forum.  Or at least adding opinions to the Shady Dealers thread... :D Maybe we old timers have subtly formed a "Good Old Boys" network without even knowing it, with rules of behavior that are unspoken but adhered to religiously.  You know, you come onto the forum and lurk for awhile, then you post a few innocuous comments and a little bio in the Introduction thread, then maybe after a week or so you start a subject thread, and then along the way after a few weeks you go to the Classifieds and say "By The Way, I'm looking for Erol Otus nude artwork and oh yeh an Orange B3, and I want to sell my collection of RPGA lunchboxes".  
 Since these are just unspoken "rules", we can't expect newbies to obey them, suggestions can be made but in the long run this forum is pretty open ended and I like it that way.  For Gods Sake, we let Maxwell ramble on for a good period of time, not to mention giving a soapbox to ETC/GE/JonB awhile back (2003 was it?).  Maybe the solution is just better subject lines...I always try to place specific rare items in my subject lines instead of "Bunch of Stuff" or "Old D&D Crap".  That way when we hit the Classifieds we can skip the posts we know hold no interest for us.....such as Titan Games weekly update.

Mike B.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:06 am 

Badmike wrote:Maybe we old timers have subtly formed a "Good Old Boys" network without even knowing it, with rules of behavior that are unspoken but adhered to religiously.

Hah. Yes, I think I can safely vouch for that.

Since these are just unspoken "rules", we can't expect newbies to obey them, suggestions can be made but in the long run this forum is pretty open ended and I like it that way.

Indeed ;)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:08 am 

Badmike wrote:Maybe we old timers have subtly formed a "Good Old Boys" network without even knowing it, with rules of behavior that are unspoken but adhered to religiously. You know, you come onto the forum and lurk for awhile, then you post a few innocuous comments and a little bio in the Introduction thread, then maybe after a week or so you start a subject thread, and then along the way after a few weeks you go to the Classifieds and say "By The Way, I'm looking for Erol Otus nude artwork and oh yeh an Orange B3, and I want to sell my collection of RPGA lunchboxes".

Damnit, now you have revealed my plan to the masses, and I have been working so hard to join.

Back on topic though, I also do not want to see the TSR stock list reprinted as a post in the classifieds, I don't mind a noob posting a common item as a rare (it just does not happen that often).  If you are going to post 4 pages of items for sale in your store, it would be better to just post a link to your own "Whats New" section, use the classifieds to annouce an update or to showcase "rares".  That being said, I will likely be using said thread to post a link to the items I will be selling soon (nothing that special).

~jeff

PreviousNext