Dealers
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:42 pm 

I'm curious as to what other people here think. Titan games is a decent site, but I'm not sure it is ethical to be using the Acaeum classifieds to promo a retailing website. Opinions?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector
Subweb Admin
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:47 pm 

I was kind of wondering about that, too. I mean, members' eBay listings or personal offers is one thing, but a frequent, perhaps weekly update of online shop stock?  :? I feel weird looking at it.

Waterdeep? Never heard of it.

-Factol Pentar, Doomguard

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:48 pm 

I think if they keep it to a minimal (meaning one topic, in the correct place & a link in their sig), it shouldn't be a problem, afterall, we're all throwing ebay urls about like crazy.

The post was a little too long - I glanced at it, yawned and started reading another topic, which is what I expect most people will do. (A simple link to the site would've done, maybe with a few items listed but not that many!)

Allowing a reasonable amount of advertising means we don't have to watch ourselves when we post urls to commercial sites to show things to other members.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:55 pm 

I may be repeating myself; I thought I posted a reply, but it didn't show up.

Anyway, my guess is that it won't be held to a minimum.  I've blocked their emails after receiving so many updates.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:04 pm 

I'm starting to see it as flaming. I don't mind a dealer posting 'Hi. I've got some rares up you guys should know about', but this form of advertising is unsolicited junk mail. How would you guys feel about Cougar posting his weekly updates on the site? There is a fine line between letting fellow collectors know you have something interesting up on eBay, and advertising your business every f*cking week.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:08 pm 

I'm on the other side of the fence.  I don't see anything wrong with a weekly posting of new stuff.  I'm on this site because I am a collector.  Why wouldn't I want to be notified of new items I may be interested in?  Besides, if you don't wanna read it, just don't read it.  It is only one post a week.

Actually, I wish every online vendor of vintage D&D stuff would post their weekly updates.  I'd hate to miss out on buying something on my want list, just because I didn't know a store got it in.  8)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:12 pm 

Seems out of place to me as well. I see the Classifieds as a place for Acaeum members to offer items to other members, advertise their auctions, etc.

A business that makes no contribution to the board posting weekly updates for their retail web-store? I dunno.

Titan/Tonya aren't exactly well-liked, given Tonya's shady shipping scheme and daddy's apparent support of it. Personally, I don't see that supporting that little endeavour is appropriate - them getting the free advertising and giving nothing back doesn't sit well.

But, then again - where is the line drawn? Lots of folks here run online stores, myself included.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:15 pm 

well personally, i dont like it cos they are connected to Tonya and stiff you with handling charges, but thats just my prejudiced view of it all.

i dont think its right to make big massive lists each week. maybe they could just post a link to somewhere else?

and in the end, i dont agree with it, due to the fact that the poster doesnt post anywhere else on the forum, which means he is just exploiting the site and not actually contributing in any way to the forum itself.

Alan

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:08 pm 

I read the classifieds because I know it will likely contain ads for stuff I'm interested in buying. If every dealer posted their weekly lists of Vampyre and GRUPS, CCGs and Role Playing Aids, it would fast become an irrelivant junkmail forum, and the majority of us would stop even looking at it.

We would then resort to plugging our good in the 'Interesting Items on eBay' thread to get noticed. We need to stop this before it starts getting going.

If they don't participate or contribute, let's keep their business advertising off the forum.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:08 pm 

Truthfully I know this is supposed to be an open forum and it is entirely up to Scott obviously, but I think its feckin BS. Isn't it bad enough we have to deal with the weekly EBay listings from Tonya & crew with her starving college student Bull Sh*t, but now we have to put up with Tight A$$ Games weekly listings on the forum?! :evil: I might even be of a different opinion if  A) If the Tonya & Tight A$$ games didnt show up like 200 times already in the Shady Dealers thread,  B) the guy posting actually participated on the forum other than to put up his 3 mile long list of common stuff that they are looking to sell for 5 times what the items are actually worth, C) They didn't charge 3 to 5 times actual shipping costs, or D) If they actually made a monetary contribution to site for the advertising space.  As everyone here knows they DO NOT do any of the above, and so therefore they should NOT have the privelages afforded to the true and active members of this forum.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:57 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Truthfully I know this is supposed to be an open forum and it is entirely up to Scott obviously, but I think its feckin BS. Isn't it bad enough we have to deal with the weekly EBay listings from Tonya & crew with her starving college student Bull Sh*t, but now we have to put up with Tight A$$ Games weekly listings on the forum?! :evil: I might even be of a different opinion if A) If the Tonya & Tight A$$ games didnt show up like 200 times already in the Shady Dealers thread, B) the guy posting actually participated on the forum other than to put up his 3 mile long list of common stuff that they are looking to sell for 5 times what the items are actually worth, C) They didn't charge 3 to 5 times actual shipping costs, or D) If they actually made a monetary contribution to site for the advertising space. As everyone here knows they DO NOT do any of the above, and so therefore they should NOT have the privelages afforded to the true and active members of this forum.

Boo Yah!

Well said.

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:32 pm 

Wow, I wasn't expecting so many replies!
My main concern is that the Classifieds will turn into a bot heaven full of RPG dealer posts. Thatis certainly not the purpose of this site.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:48 am 

Titangames already has a link on the website, under links/resellers. If I want weekly updates, I'll sign up for that. They aren't colectors/enjoyers of this stuff nor do they do anything for this community so I'd prefer the acaeum forum to be free of spam. *raises hand on the motion that spam shouldn't be on the acaeum forums*  :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:40 am 

bclarkie wrote:Truthfully I know this is supposed to be an open forum and it is entirely up to Scott obviously, but I think its feckin BS. Isn't it bad enough we have to deal with the weekly EBay listings from Tonya & crew with her starving college student Bull Sh*t, but now we have to put up with Tight A$$ Games weekly listings on the forum?! :evil: I might even be of a different opinion if A) If the Tonya & Tight A$$ games didnt show up like 200 times already in the Shady Dealers thread, B) the guy posting actually participated on the forum other than to put up his 3 mile long list of common stuff that they are looking to sell for 5 times what the items are actually worth, C) They didn't charge 3 to 5 times actual shipping costs, or D) If they actually made a monetary contribution to site for the advertising space. As everyone here knows they DO NOT do any of the above, and so therefore they should NOT have the privelages afforded to the true and active members of this forum.

well that was WHAT i was trying to say but hey, once again someone said it better than i did :D

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:34 am 

Has anyone heard from Badmike recently?  I was hoping he would weigh in on this one.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:54 am 

Could we consider doing this - if someone wants to see something to other Acaeum members, this item is ONLY posted under the Classifieds heading.   If a dealer or anyone else for that matter wants to advertise their ebay auctions, we create a new formus header "eBay Auctions".

Just thoughts . . . and when the thoughts are free, you get what you pay for.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:51 am 

Guido-the-Gypsy wrote:Could we consider doing this - if someone wants to see something to other Acaeum members, this item is ONLY posted under the Classifieds heading.  If a dealer or anyone else for that matter wants to advertise their ebay auctions, we create a new formus header "eBay Auctions".

Just thoughts . . . and when the thoughts are free, you get what you pay for.

Or maybe have a section for forum members wanting to give fellow collectors a prompt, and a separate thread for junk mail that we can all ignore?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:33 pm 

I agree with bclarkie also.
After I clicked on the post and started to scroll thru it, my first thought was ' what the hell is that doing here '   :evil:

Next