Anybody interested in 2E multiple printings?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:38 pm 

Anybody besides myself and Mike Deaton interested in printing info for later 2E material (stuff not covered by the Acaeum)?  I've been trying to compile some data for a while and would love to get some input from other collectors, assuming that there are interested parties out there.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 12:28 am 

Personally I am not a print run junkie. I would love to see info compile on 2nd ed like it has for 1st ed on this site. Please go on with it....   :D   Adam

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 4:35 pm 

I am very interested in the printing info, pictures, and prices. With a particular interest in the first 4 years, modules, and box sets.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 11:54 pm 

Okay, since there's at least some interest I'll go ahead and start posting info.  Hopefully, some of you out there can add to and clarify whatever I've got here.    <blatant plug> For general info on 2E & 3E stuff (including scans galore) check out my site: This Personal Web Pages (PWP) site has been discontinued </blatant plug>

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:38 am 

I have a qusetion about the 2E revised i.e. 2159,2160. Were these on a limited run? I remember I bought a set while working at a game store, where they had very few. After they sold, that was it. Guessing maybe the wotc buyout had something to do with it??. Looking on ebay, finding them is rarer (sic) than earlier 2e, or even first editions.

WWW YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 11:57 pm 

Quite a number of later 2E items are harder to find than earlier material.  Declining interest in RPGs (as gamers were pouring their money into CCGs) meant ever shrinking print runs.  I've no idea what kind of numbers they were turning out during this period, but it's a pretty safe bet that there are thousands upon thousands more 1E Player's Handbooks out there than the 2159 PHB.

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 10:41 am 

I hear you. I myself went throught the same insanity, and now I have boxes of useless cards, tons of OTHER rpg's and 10 years later, and am back to playing D&D. Its funny how WOTC nearly destroys the RPG market, that now they depend on it, hm..   Mike C.

WWW YIM  

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 4:59 pm 

I think there are multiple printings of the 2E Players Options books, the Tome of Magic and Book of Artifacts. I know for sure that there are hardcover and softcover releases.

Adrian, I believe you must have some knowledge on these items. I would like to know, if the hardcover/softcover versions are the only differences or if there exist multiple printings.

I've checked my stuff and found these:

<b>Tome of Magic</b>

<i>First (?)</i> TSR 2121 Original 2E hardcover, angled TSR logo. No printing information given. It states "(C) 1991 TSR, Inc." Cover price is 20$

<i>Seventh</i> TSR02121 - revised 2E softcover, TSR dragon logo. It states "Seventh Printing, March, 1996" and has a cover price of 20 $

<b>Book of Artifacts</b>

<i>???</i> Original 2E hardcover, TSR dragon logo, no printing info given. It states "(c) 1993 ..." and has a cover price of 20 $

--> I know this book was reprinted in the Revised 2E, as hardcover and softcover, but I have no information concerning these.

<b>Players Option: Combat & Tactics</b>

<i>First (May 1995)</i> Hardcover version, TSR dragon logo, cover price 20 $

softcover exists, but I have no info

<b>Players Option: Skills & Powers</b>

<i>First (July 1995)</i> Hardcover version, TSR dragon logo, cover price 20 $

again, softcover exists, but I have no info

<b>Players Option: Spells & Magic</b>

<i>First (May 1995)</i> Softcover version, TSR dragon logo, cover price 22.95 $

hardcover exists, but I have no info

Would like to read more about these.

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:29 am 

Ralf Toth wrote:I think there are multiple printings of the 2E Players Options books, the Tome of Magic and Book of Artifacts. I know for sure that there are hardcover and softcover releases.

I've checked my stuff and found these:

<b>Tome of Magic</b>

<i>First (?)</i> TSR 2121 Original 2E hardcover, angled TSR logo. No printing information given. It states "(C) 1991 TSR, Inc." Cover price is 20$

<i>Seventh</i> TSR02121 - revised 2E softcover, TSR dragon logo. It states "Seventh Printing, March, 1996" and has a cover price of 20 $

<b>Players Option: Skills & Powers</b>

<i>First (July 1995)</i> Hardcover version, TSR dragon logo, cover price 20 $

again, softcover exists, but I have no info

Would like to read more about these.

I know that there was a hardcover printing of the <b>Tome of Magic</b> in the "1995 look" with black border, yellow titling, and TSR dragon logo--I saw it, but didn't pick it up.  I don't remember the printing info listed.  As for <b>Skills & Powers</b>, the second (hardcover) printing was in February 1996; it corrected a range of errata, particularly to do with psionics (see Dragon Annual #2 for more detail).  I've never seen other printings of the other books--I've seen the softcover versions, but I'm unaware of any differences in content.

I have a question also: When were the 2e revised PHBs and DMGs with blank flyleaves printed?  Did WotC print them?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:50 pm 

Adrian Newman posted some info on print runs for PHB and DMG earlier. You can check it out here:

Print Run Information: Player's Handbook (2nd Edition) (PHB)

Print Run Information: Dungeon Master's Guide (2nd Edition) (DMG)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 3:21 pm 

This are old posts, but maybe some of the newer members of the Acaeum forum want to share some print run info with us?

The original posts are:

Print Run Information: Player's Handbook (2nd Edition) for PHB

Print Run Information: Dungeon Master's Guide (2nd Edition) for DMG

Print Run Information: Monstrous Manual for MM

Print Run Information: PHBR series for PHBR

Your help is appreciated.

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:30 pm 

I would also like to see some info about 2E stuff, especially items released right before the sale to WoTC.

I'll pick up a PHB or a DMG and there will almost always be suttle differences to 2E books I already have.

For example - was at the used book store the other day and they had a copy of the "white cover" Monstrous Manual.  The one I have is in cruddy shape so I buy it.  Get it home and go to put it in the bookcase and realize it's a "2.5" or "Revised" 2E Monstrous Manual.  Never realized that this book existed with a white cover in the "Revised" 2E printing.