eBay: two interesting announcements
Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:04 pm 

Not to drag anyone away from the utterly fascinating discussion over in Collecting Appraisal — you know, the one about curbing the blatant homophobic rantings here on The Acaeum — but eBay just came out with two interesting updates:

1. Shill bidding clarification. No more getting your roommates, family, and co-workers to bid! You know who you are! :) (Question for you tech guys: how in the world is eBay going to track this? IP addresses?)

2. eBay Anything Points are history. No surprise here — eBay never even acted like they were interested in the program. (side note: I'm one of the schmucks** with an Anything Points credit card. Or, at least until I cancel it later this week ... :oops:).

Both items are found here:

http://www2.ebay.com:80/aw/core/200507. ... 7-18171343

Actually, counting the PayPal/mandatory credit card item from a few days ago, ( viewtopic.php?t=2462 ) that's three pretty interesting recent announcements.

+++++

** — note to PC police: yes, the Yiddish origin of "schmuck" pretty much means "penis." However, the term has evolved to mean something closer to "foolish" or "contemptible." I certainly hope no one takes any offense ...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:35 pm 

If you'd like to take potshots at me, at least do it in the one thread so that folks who'd rather avoid it, can.

Re: Shilling - There's no meaningful way they could prevent this, other than preventing your IP from bidding on the same item. I can't think of any way they could stop someone from next door from bidding, or even from bidding in the same house from a dial-up account or something. They could conceivably monitor IPs, but I doubt they'd go to the trouble - anyone terribly interested in circumventing the process could easily do so, and it would be a heckuva lot of work on their part ;)

The Anything points cancellation though, that stinks. I just recently got an AP card myself. 1% isn't much, but it was something. Back to Amex it is, heh.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:24 pm 

I gotta agree with bclarkie.  If you guys want to argue about something...then here.  Argue about which of these is yummier:

http://entertainment.msn.com/movies/gal ... 587#photos

or

http://entertainment.msn.com/photos/gal ... 345#photos

And if this doesnt work.  How about a real exercise in futility.  Become a Chicago Cubs fan.  If this doesnt make you realize just how insignificant your arguments are in the larger scheme.of things...well I guess there is no hope for humans after all.

Twenty major events that have occurred since the Chicago Cubs last laid claim to a World Series championship:

1. Radio was invented; Cubs fans got to hear their team lose.

2. TV was invented; Cubs fans got to see their team lose.

3. Baseball added 14 teams; Cubs fans get to see and hear their team lose to more clubs.

4. George Burns celebrated his 10th, 20th, 30th, 40th, 50th, 60th, 70th, 80th, 90th and 100th birthdays.

5. Haley's comet passed Earth twice.

6. Harry Caray was born....and died. Incredible, but true.

7. The NBA, NHL and NFL were formed, and Chicago teams won championships in each league.

8. Man landed on the moon, as have several home runs given up by Cubs pitchers.

9. Sixteen U.S. presidents were elected.

10. There were 11 amendments added to the Constitution.

11. Prohibition was created and repealed.

12. The Titanic was built, set sail, sank, was discovered and became the subject of major motion pictures, the latest giving Cubs fans hope that something that finishes on the bottom can come out on top.

13. Wrigley Field was built and becomes the oldest park in the National League.

14. Flag poles were erected on Wrigley Field roof to hold all of the team's future World Series pennants. Those flag poles have since rusted and been taken down.

15. A combination of 40 Summer and Winter Olympics have been held.

16. Thirteen baseball players have won the Triple Crown; several thanked Cubs pitchers.

17. Bell-bottoms came in style, went out of style and came back in.

18. The Chicago White Sox, Cleveland Indians, Boston Red Sox and the Florida Marlins have all won the World Series.

19. The Cubs played 14,153 regular-season games; they lost the majority of them.

20. Alaska, Arizona, Hawaii, Oklahoma and New Mexico were added to the Union.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:45 pm 

Xaxaxe, IP tracking would be fruitless. Broadband users are assigned IP's when they fire up their routers, and these can be different, though usually the lease period does not expire. So in order to track by IP, they would have to go to the ISP and comb thru logs, which the ISP is certainly not required by law to do and is LOATHE to do unless a crime has been committed.
I assume that if they suspect shilling, they will look at the registration info for the parties involved. But mostly it is eBay trying to scare the noobs off.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:46 pm 

GraysonAC wrote:I just recently got an AP card myself

Oh, the irony! :)

You and I totally disagree on ... uh ... that "other thing," but we end up in the same boat sharing eBay woes.

I got that stupid card specifically to rack up some juicy points. If they take the points away, I begin wondering if I need to be carrying another credit card ...

I can just picture the conversation coming up with the credit card company:

Them: "And why do you wish to cancel your account, sir?"
Me: "Uh, gee, why do you think?"

R.I.P, eBay points card ...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:58 pm 

Grab an Amex instead - the card I've got is 1% cash back, up to 2% if you spend a helluva lot ;)   No fees either.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:26 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:Xaxaxe, IP tracking would be fruitless. Broadband users are assigned IP's when they fire up their routers, and these can be different, though usually the lease period does not expire. So in order to track by IP, they would have to go to the ISP and comb thru logs, which the ISP is certainly not required by law to do and is LOATHE to do unless a crime has been committed.
I assume that if they suspect shilling, they will look at the registration info for the parties involved. But mostly it is eBay trying to scare the noobs off.

Yes, plus it's relatively trivial to spoof IP source addresses, especially if you're not expecting a response.  IPv6 could change all this, but it won't. ;)

YIM