Did you play the original D&D?
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:39 pm 

Well I've been a little vague about D'n'D and its nature etc. It's a hard thing to explain to a "non-beleiver" what you actually do during the game. How the hell do I explain do I explain that Monday nights I like to pretend that I'm Jess (warrior/priestess of Tempus, hell raiser, drunkard and general axe weilding-lunatic) and still maintain a shred of dignity?

I thought I'd invite her along to a game to convince her we weren't all completly mad but then I remembered who I play with....:D

Well I'll never get over it so I guess she needs to LOL

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:27 pm 

hey lewi!! hows it going :)

i had a hard time telling g/f and daughter about the game but in the end i just said give it a go and go with the flow and use your imagination. they are now both 5th level and having a blast!

amanda is a cleric and jess is a ranger

jess also has a 2nd level magic user on the go too.....she got fed up trying to hit things after using her spell (hehehe ) so she now carries around a bag of marbles for emergencies :D

funny stuff

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:13 pm 

It's over 15 years since a rolled a 20 sider in anger!
My wife absolutely HATES all the crap I have and does not in any way,shape or form understand the joy involved in role playing.
The problem is that I rediscovered D&D a couple of years ago so it came as a bit of a shock to her that her husband had a strange,seedy,incomprehensible life in his school days, playing a game only enjoyed by social misfits and geeks!! (Let's face it this is the opinions of unbelievers)
HOWEVER - I have a plan, and I'm nothing if not patient.
I have 2 sons aged 9 & 7 and I am slowly brainwashing them! Let's face it , much as it pains me to say it, to a small boy the minis in a recent issue of White Dwarf really rock so they often 'borrow' copies of WD that I accidentaly leave lying around waiting to be sold! Now Warhammer et al is not my thing but Games Workshop is the ONLY high St Games outlet available to the majority of the UK  and their displays really capture my lad's imagination. I know that they are still young but I am convinced that by my underhanded and subtle influence they will approach me about gaming properly and then they will be mine - I will be KING DAD!!
Seriously though, I do believe that RPG's in general are really good for boys - the actual effort and imagination that goes into them can bring out the best, academically in kids that would not otherwise have any inclination toward creativity - Perhaps that's another discussion though!
And even if that plan doesn't work my little bit of buying/selling means I have cash in my pocket when the Mrs and I are out so that I can buy her pizza without denting the family budget - even she cannot complain about that!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:22 am 

My wife rocks.  She found out about my dark side after we started dating in college.  She encouraged me to start gaming after we got married (living in campus housing).

She does not hassle me about collecting and she is on about her 20th character.  

So, not all wives are game haters.  Mine is also hot, but that has nothing to do with Ebay.

:twisted:  :twisted:

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:36 am 

sgy wrote:Finally got my electricity back. I'm getting very tired of hurricanes.

Grodog -- That must have been a "blast from the past." I wished I had kept some of that stuff, but it was all thrown out a long, long time ago, after I moved away, and my parents retired to Florida.

So, are you saying sgy, that you did in fact attend the NortheasterCon shows, and perhaps even played Treasure of the Dragon Queen???  Tell me more! :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:19 am 

grodog wrote:
sgy wrote:Finally got my electricity back. I'm getting very tired of hurricanes.

Grodog -- That must have been a "blast from the past." I wished I had kept some of that stuff, but it was all thrown out a long, long time ago, after I moved away, and my parents retired to Florida.

So, are you saying sgy, that you did in fact attend the NortheasterCon shows, and perhaps even played Treasure of the Dragon Queen??? Tell me more! :D

heheh Allan's life-long quest :)

"i will get this damn tourney mod if its the last damn thing i do on this earth"

:D :D :D

Are we nearly there yet?

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:36 am 

grodog wrote:

So, are you saying sgy, that you did in fact attend the NortheasterCon shows, and perhaps even played Treasure of the Dragon Queen??? Tell me more! :D

No, sorry I can't help you there.  Your comment just brought back memories.  We had a guy from Rutgers in our group toward the end, but I can't recall his name.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:46 pm 

Yes, I played OD&D. AD&D wasn't out yet. I always treated AD&D as a supplement to the old game more than as its own thing - took the parts I liked, chucked the rest.

Previous