Did you play the original D&D?
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:44 am 

I had the original set of D&D player character miniatures.  Over the course of a couple of years, they all eroded down to little lead balls.  I had Chainmail, and the original manuals.  In 78 I bought the second printing (I believe) basic set (light blue cover manual).

I started playing around '77.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:48 pm 

[quote="Doug Williams"]I've been curious about this for a while. How many of you started playing D&D during the era of the original woodgrain box editions?quote]

Sort of.  The Player's Handbook had just come out when I was introduced to the game.  I was so enthralled with the whole concept, I begged and begged my college-aged sister to drive me to the Homewood Hobby Shop in Birmingham, Alabama, where I bought the PH and MM.  I then borrowed the three-booklet white box set from my friend and HAND COPIED all the relevant DM's rules and combat charts.   :lol:

Needless to say, I was thrilled when the DMG was first published, and bought one from the same store as soon as it hit the shelves.  I've been doomed to game ever since . . .

John Justice
Field Testing Engineer
ACME - Weapons Division
"ACME, the Name You Can Trust!"

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:43 pm 

I actually started with AD&D back around, oh, 1981-2 or so.  I remember my mother buying me the DMG for Christmas that year.  Whatta thrill!

I never really played basic or white box stuff.  Straight into the fire for me.

While I'm thinking about it, what does OCE stand for?  I see it everywhere on this board and know it relates to late printing white boxes (after the basic set and AD&D had already come out) but am unsure what the acronym stants for.

Yep.  I'm ignernt.

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:39 pm 

madman31 wrote:While I'm thinking about it, what does OCE stand for?

A picture is worth a 1000 words...
Page Not Found

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:50 pm 

Heh thanks.  I guess I'm lazy as well as ignernt :)

YIM  

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:27 am 

Doug Williams wrote:I've been curious about this for a while. How many of you started playing D&D during the era of the original woodgrain box editions? I began playing in 1982, using this set Page Not Found , and then quickly moved on to AD&D. I do remember seeing the OCE white box sets on the shelves of my local book store, but didn't buy one (at that time), due to limited finances. I have never played using the original rules, and was wondering if any of you have, and what kind of "feel" they had?

I just started playing oD&D in about February, around the time I began watching these forums and collecting on my own.  It is by far the best ruleset of the lot, and the most fun.  I highly recommend it over any of the others (including AD&D 1E).

WWW ICQ  

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:10 pm 

Did you (or anyone you know) begin playing Original/Basic D&D and then move on to play with the Basic, Expert, Companion, Master, & Immortal rules?

I've never met anyone who played the game with these rules sets ... with the notable exception of those who were unaware of the AD&D rules.   Once they discovered the latter, they would immediately switch over.

TSR used considerable resources keeping D&D and AD&D as separate product lines, yet everyone I knew who used "D&D" (like a module) simply adapted it to AD&D.

Thanks,
Keith

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:41 am 

Justice wrote:I begged and begged my college-aged sister to drive me to the Homewood Hobby Shop in Birmingham, Alabama, where I bought the PH and MM. I then borrowed the three-booklet white box set from my friend and HAND COPIED all the relevant DM's rules and combat charts.

Ah, a true addict. :-)

When I started playing (1982ish), I was a sophomore in high school and had no regular source of income other than my allowance, which was something like $3 a week (no joke). In order to fund my D&D habit, I used to skip lunch and pocket the $1 a day my father gave me for lunch money. My parents often wondered why I was so hungry at dinnertime, LOL! There was a small bookstore near my high school, and during my lunch break I would walk over there, avoiding the teachers assigned to watch for such things, and read D&D books. Whenever I was able to get my grubby paws on some extra cash (mowing yards, washing cars, etc.) it all went toward the purchase of D&D books. Ah, the memories.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:42 am 

Doug Williams wrote:In order to fund my D&D habit, I used to skip lunch and pocket the $1 a day my father gave me for lunch money. My parents often wondered why I was so hungry at dinnertime, LOL!

I did exactly the same.  Unfortunately my money was spent every Friday on underage drinking at the pub! :oops:

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:08 am 

Doug Williams wrote:
Justice wrote:I begged and begged my college-aged sister to drive me to the Homewood Hobby Shop in Birmingham, Alabama, where I bought the PH and MM. I then borrowed the three-booklet white box set from my friend and HAND COPIED all the relevant DM's rules and combat charts.

Ah, a true addict. :-)

When I started playing (1982ish), I was a sophomore in high school and had no regular source of income other than my allowance, which was something like $3 a week (no joke). In order to fund my D&D habit, I used to skip lunch and pocket the $1 a day my father gave me for lunch money. My parents often wondered why I was so hungry at dinnertime, LOL! There was a small bookstore near my high school, and during my lunch break I would walk over there, avoiding the teachers assigned to watch for such things, and read D&D books. Whenever I was able to get my grubby paws on some extra cash (mowing yards, washing cars, etc.) it all went toward the purchase of D&D books. Ah, the memories.

Hi.  Ummmm.  My name is John.  Ummm.  And I'm a . . . *sniff* I'm a gaming addict!  *sob*   :)

John Justice
Field Testing Engineer
ACME - Weapons Division
"ACME, the Name You Can Trust!"

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:34 am 

Keith: "Did you (or anyone you know) begin playing Original/Basic D&D and then move on to play with the Basic, Expert, Companion, Master, & Immortal rules?"

I did, in a way. I started with Holmes Basic and then went on to AD&D. But I also liked the separate Basic-Expert line and would use those rules also.

My style of playing may have differed from many here because I mostly played with one friend, and we would take turns DMing while the other controlled an entire party of characters. I also had separate parties of characters, some made with AD&D rules, some with Basic/Expert rules. We would use the rules that went with the characters. Modules, too, although there we some Basic/Expert modules that we used with AD&D like B2 and X2. I had the Companion/Master/Immortal sets although my characters never actually got to those levels. I'm still torn between the simplicity of the Basic/Expert line and the detail of the AD&D line.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:33 am 

Heh... when I had the basic D&D box I took a notebook and TRANSLATED the whole english text into italian.
Then my friends lent it and made photocopies out of my translations... so it goes the copyright thing  :wink:

Hmmm, times past... sweet memories!

LOL

"It's mint, it's a first print, and it's mine!"

KA-POW

"Not anymore".

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:13 pm 

The first D&D set I ever got was the Holmes basic set. I don't know which printing it was, but this was back in Christmas of '79. I had a great time with it before moving on to AD&D. I got an OCE a year or so later, just cuz I had a collector's mentality, even back then. I still have my OCE that I bought back then, even though I lost (yeah, I know!) the Holmes set and the AD&D books I had (I've since repurchased everything).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:51 pm 

Keith wrote:Did you (or anyone you know) begin playing Original/Basic D&D and then move on to play with the Basic, Expert, Companion, Master, & Immortal rules?

Yup. I went from Basic to Expert, a bit of Companion. Never got to Master/Immortal.

I eventually switched to AD&D 2nd Edition, but still have a lot of the old D&D character sheets I played with back then :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:27 am 

The first set of rules I owned was a xerox copy of the 4th printing of the original rules.  I know, I know, but I was a poor high school student.  And the statute of limitations ran about 25 years ago!  I paid Kerry Lloyd (who went on to write the Thieves Guild stuff with Gamelords) $3 for copies of the three books.  I got an OCE and a 2nd print woodgrain later, but we moved on to AD&D as soon as the MM and PH came out.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:43 pm 

ddt58 wrote:The first set of rules I owned was a xerox copy of the 4th printing of the original rules. I know, I know, but I was a poor high school student. And the statute of limitations ran about 25 years ago! I paid Kerry Lloyd (who went on to write the Thieves Guild stuff with Gamelords) $3 for copies of the three books. I got an OCE and a 2nd print woodgrain later, but we moved on to AD&D as soon as the MM and PH came out.

Do you know Kerry Lloyd?  Do you know what he is up to?     :?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:50 pm 

Justice wrote:
Doug Williams wrote:I've been curious about this for a while. How many of you started playing D&D during the era of the original woodgrain box editions?quote]

Sort of. The Player's Handbook had just come out when I was introduced to the game. I was so enthralled with the whole concept, I begged and begged my college-aged sister to drive me to the Homewood Hobby Shop in Birmingham, Alabama, where I bought the PH and MM. I then borrowed the three-booklet white box set from my friend and HAND COPIED all the relevant DM's rules and combat charts.  :lol:

Needless to say, I was thrilled when the DMG was first published, and bought one from the same store as soon as it hit the shelves. I've been doomed to game ever since . . .

I have never met anyone who actually used weapon speed in a real game.  Weapon speed factor was one of those rules that even the designers knew could not really be used.   :cry:

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:02 pm 

I started in the spring of 1979 (had 1980 here but I got to looking at some of the old character records because of this thread and realized I cheated myself out of a year). We used the then brand spanking new AD&D rules. I was given one of the blue basic books to read by one of my high school teacher. He told me we would be using the advanced rules but the book would give me an idea since the books were well out of my spending level and had limited availability where I lived.

I found out later that the first adventure he ever ran us through was B1. We made it fine through there and then moved onto Tegel Manor....where we all died due to a random encounter in the wilderness (some sort of beetles, we still use the term Purina Beetle Chow when we get together, all to rarely, and talk about the old times). Shortly after that my teacher had to leave due to medical reasons and our group slit into two distinct groups. If anyone ever saw Freaks & Geeks I have to admitt to getting really nostalgic in the final episode where they were sitting around the table playing Dungeons & Dragons.

So long answer to a short question. We played a mix of Advanced rules with basic materials. And I also remember eventually seeing the white box and all the supplements at the local university a year or so later when we got cars and could go to where they sold stuff like that. I really regret not buying them then. I have copies of all of it (not a woodgrain or firsts or anything super valuable) but would like to have the memories I have attached to those item so they would be priceless (at least to me) like my first PHB is.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

PreviousNext