Did you play the original D&D?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:06 am 

I've been curious about this for a while. How many of you started playing D&D during the era of the original woodgrain box editions? I began playing in 1982, using this set Page Not Found , and then quickly moved on to AD&D. I do remember seeing the OCE white box sets on the shelves of my local book store, but didn't buy one (at that time), due to limited finances. I have never played using the original rules, and was wondering if any of you have, and what kind of "feel" they had?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:33 am 

Nope. Never even seen a Woodgrain - or a White-Box, for that matter.

But I did start with the Basic and Expert sets (you know, when Elf was a class!!), and quickly moved on from there.

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:25 pm 

A friend of mine introduced me to D&D when I was in 6th grade, IIRC.  That would have been around '76 or '77.  I remember looking through the three little booklets, but I don't recall whether it was a woodgrain set or a whitey.  I do recall that the way he described the game really excited me, but the look and feel of the booklets didn't appeal to me at the time.  I didn't start playing until I got a blue basic set soon afterward.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:34 pm 

jkason wrote:you know, when Elf was a class!!

LOL, I had forgotten about that. :-)

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:23 pm 

I started playing in the late 70's when I was a kid. We used "chips" instead of dice. It was a very basic pamphlit with limited classes and monsters. The color of the dront was a light blue and white. This may not be the "original" but it was great. I still have it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:35 pm 

We used both the OD&D and the Basic set as well as dragon magazines and whatever else we could find.  When the DMG was released then we switched over to AD&D and never looked back.  I still have all the original OD&D stuff we used, it was very cheap compared to te hardcovers, that's why we took so long to swith over.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:35 pm 

I have to admit I started with the woodgrain box.  They were very handy for carrying dice, character sheets, a few figures and pencils, plus you could stuff the supplements in there too.  One of the reasons a nice woodgrain box is hard to find.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:48 pm 

I started playing with the original rulebooks (4th print), GH (2nd, GK logo),  BM (2nd), and EW (1st).  This would've been in the Spring of 1977 (end of 7th grade).

We never used Chainmail, or that Avalon Hill game that TSR recommended, however.

What I remember most about that first campaign is that the DM seemed to have this pile of material (magazine articles, rules, handwritten notes)  and how mysterious everything seemed.

That sense of mystery was one of the most appealing aspects of D&D.  Not only was the campaign itself enthralling, but there was the added dimension of simply figuring out the rule books.

Of course, none of the original material actually tells you how to play the game.  That was done word of mouth.

What a weird departure from the likes of "Panzer Blitz" and "Third Reich"!

Over the summer between 7th and 8th grade I ran my first campaign: "Metamorphosis Alpha".  My neighborhood friends (as opposed to those from school where I'd played D&D) were SF fans and the idea of a SF RPG was more appealing to us at the time.  It was my first experience as a DM (or referee in the case of MA) and I never ran a player character again.  

By the start of 8th grade my neighborghood friends and I came to our collective senses and started playing D&D.

I remember buying a MM in 8th grade.  I still have it; it is indeed a first edition.

Along the way, I lost my original box, and obtained an OCE box.  Like someone else mentioned, the box was great for rolling dice.

I've always regreted the loss of my box.  I'd love to find a 4th print BOX alone to complement my rule books.

We migrated to AD&D through high school, and I continued to DM all manner of campaigns: commercial, my own, and -- one of the favorites at my college fraternity house -- a campaign based on "The Sword of Shannarra".

I DMed my last game around 1989.

Keith

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:49 pm 

Not I, but I'm a young'un (only 24, heh). Started playing with the red box of Basic D&D when I was 9 (so.. grade 5?), and then started playing 2nd Edition when I got the rulebooks from my uncle for my 10th birthday.

So, not a woodgrain box or anything, but I've still got those rulebooks, and I love 'em :)

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:47 pm 

ddt58 wrote:I have to admit I started with the woodgrain box. They were very handy for carrying dice, character sheets, a few figures and pencils, plus you could stuff the supplements in there too. One of the reasons a nice woodgrain box is hard to find.

I wish I could say I started with a woodgrain box.  If I had been born just a few years earlier I might have.  I hadn't even seen one until a couple of years ago.  But like most people I started with the same basic set that Doug did.  I played once using basic rules and thought it was okay.  Wasn't much later when a friend introduced me to AD&D and that was it...I was hooked.  I still remember buying my first hardback book which was the Fiend Folio.  How many hours I spent reading it I can't begin to fathom.  And maybe if I had spent more time reading school books instead of D&D books, I might be able to afford a woodgrain.  :roll:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:00 pm 

jkason wrote:Nope. Never even seen a Woodgrain - or a White-Box, for that matter.

But I did start with the Basic and Expert sets (you know, when Elf was a class!!), and quickly moved on from there.

Hey, it was an idea ...

I've still got the wood grain I bought when I was a kid (of sorts -- 19+ years old) -- I covered it in clear contact paper and it is still good as new.  Not a collectable (because of the contact paper), but in the same shape it was in 20 or more years ago).

BTW, for some art I've done recently http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?B ... st=Ethesis (free registration) for the large renders, Ere Anon -- Stories for them in reduced and cropped format, used in stories.

Regards,

Stephen

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:48 am 

I was introduced into the game by friends who played advanced D&D, back in 1978 or so... my first ruleset was a blue basic D&D (the one with the mage and fighter against a red dragon).
After that, I switched immediately to advanced, as there wasn't an expert set in production... this came much later.
I've never seen a white box until recently, as I won a pair on eBay.

"It's mint, it's a first print, and it's mine!"

KA-POW

"Not anymore".

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:49 pm 

Just like Rosenkav, I started with the Holmes box set in 1978, and went into AD&D within six months. I did buy a white box around 1980-81, but we never used it. Still got it...nice and minty fresh.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:51 pm 

My best friend growing up introduced me to Moldvay/Cook D&D when I was nine or ten. When he upgraded to AD&D, I followed suit.

I didn't get my OCE until last year, but did have Holmes for some six months prior to that.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:36 am 

Started out with OD&D.  Then incorporated the new AD&D rules as titbits were published in the Dragon and the rulebooks were released until the AD&D holy trinity of MM/PHB/DMG were all available (no offence intended to those who follow a belief system involving another holy trinity :wink: ).  

I remember my biggest surprise being the improvement to hit points (unless you were a feeble MU of course) and the huge array of weapons available.  But it didn't take long to work out that a bastard sword seemed like the best compromise for a fighter in terms of damage/speed/weight.  Unfortunately they never seemed to crop up as magic weapons, with the one famous notable exception (that I remember) Blackrazor.  And even then you had the CN alignment problem.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:50 am 

johnhuck wrote:But it didn't take long to work out that a bastard sword seemed like the best compromise for a fighter in terms of damage/speed/weight.

Ahh, the weapon of choice for all of my fighters in the good old days... :D

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:19 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:
johnhuck wrote:But it didn't take long to work out that a bastard sword seemed like the best compromise for a fighter in terms of damage/speed/weight.

Ahh, the weapon of choice for all of my fighters in the good old days... :D

Compromise?  We don't need no stinkin' compromise!  At low levels, assuming I could scrape up enough cash, I'd always go for the biggest, nastiest, heaviest weapon I could carry.  If I connect, the fight's over.  

(I'd switch it up when the monsters start getting enough hp to not take them out in a shot or two, and definitely well before level 7, when speed really starts to matter.  Ah, the long hours of going through the damage charts trying to optimize weapon choice...*sniff*)

YIM  

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:22 am 

I played the OCE incarnation. I actually started with AD&D when it was all shiny and new. It wasn't until '84 that I got my grubby paws on an OCE and talked the group into giving it a shot. We only played a couple of sessions though and I couldn't resist filling in the blanks with material from the PHB and DMG. The novelty quickly wore off and we went back to AD&D.

Never played Basic D&D but, earlier this year, I got my hands on a NM Holmes set from '79 (with B1 in it). Wouldn't mind taking it for a spin.

Next