Interesting PayPal policy update
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:56 am 

No, making money is NOT the primary reason Paypal exists. It may be the reason eBay bought it, but that is not what it was originally invented for. I've been on eBay basically since Day 1, when there were no categories, just 100 or so listings. Same with Paypal, which used to be X.com, and which freely stated that they were satisfied with making interest on the balances of accounts.

As far as discounts, Rodent, I do indeed often sell things for less than I might be able to get elsewhere. I am not concerned with having the biggest bank account, I am concerned with items staying with people who will enjoy and appreciate them. There is nothing wrong with making money, but trying to squeeze every last Lincoln out of customers and the capitalist system is not only idiotic, it is sad. Anyone who runs a successful business should be thanking whatever pantheon they believe in that they make enough money to put a roof over they and their families' heads, and perhaps have some extra. I deal with a lot of different people on a day-today basis, and the greed and sloth I see makes me sick. And it's only getting worse.

So if you want to defend a corporate structure that considers you an easily manipulated "user", be my guest. Let them manipulate the money right out of your pocket. Follow the herd.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:59 am 

Addendum: Paypal IS indeed a monopoly, since eBay goes well out of its way to discourage any other type of payment, and in fact provides far less support and coverage for such payers. That is monopolizing. Microsoft might be able to give you some info about that.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Previous