Games Workshop seeking to return original art to artists
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:25 pm 

I recognize that the bounds of this may fall outside of the typical Acaeum conversation but I recognize that several of the regulars are well connected with various artists in the industry. (Especially in the UK.) If you know folks who haven't heard but are effected can you please forward this on to them?

Best,

Jim

ORIGINALLY POSTED on the G.W. UK site:

CALLING ALL FORMER GAMES WORKSHOP ARTISTS

Are you an artist who at one time or another worked for Games Workshop? Might we be in possession of pieces of art you worked on?

The Games Workshop Archive Department is currently
attempting to contact artists who no longer work for us, but have
produced work for us in their own right, or contributed towards
individual pieces, in order to return their works of art.

If your name is listed below, chances are we have one
or more pieces of your artwork that we'd like to return to you. The
amount of material varies significantly according to artist - from single items, into the hundreds!

To retrieve your works of art, please respond by
email, no later than
Friday 29th July, to:
[email protected]

Sharon Cooke
Archive Manager

We are trying to contact the following:

Tony Ackland
Chris Baker
Nick Bibby
Paul Bonner
Christopher Bristow
Tim Brunt
Paul Campbell
Gary Chalk
Richard Cobbold
Nick Coleman
Mark Cordory
Mark Craven
Carl Critchlow
Simon Croslate
Tim Curry
Bill Donaghue
Wayne England
Brett Ewins
Carlos Ezquerra
Angus Fieldhouse
Jon Gletoran
Paul Green
Des Hanley
Gary Harrod
Kevin Hopgood
Tony Hough
Colin Howard
Steve Hutton
Tony Hynes
Pete Knifton
Robert Lingwood
Tony Masero
Tim Maunder
Martin McKenna
Pat Mills
R Mohr
Bob Naismith
Russ Nicolson
Kevin O'Neil
Martin Perrott
Dave Pugh
John Sibbick
Jamie Simms
Paul Smith
Duncan Storr
Phil Stouin
Steve Tappin
Bill Thornhill
Kevin Walker
Don Wazejewski
John Wigley
Nik Williams
Richard Wright

http://uk.games-workshop.com/features/a ... rtists.htm

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:00 pm 

How nice to put a deadline on the return of the art.  Bunch of A**holes

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:30 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:How nice to put a deadline on the return of the art. Bunch of A**holes

That seems like looking a rather large gift-horse in the mouth.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:37 pm 

How nice to put a deadline on the return of the art. Bunch of A**holes

Ok.

Anytime a business has something like this happen, where property has been left behind, it only makes sense to have a deadline. You don't want to keep this sort of thing forever. It's like a Lost & Found at an amusement park or department store. (I've bought things at storage facilities that have had public auctions of abandoned material.)

The key difference is that where a Lost & Found might have your wife's sunglasses or you uncle Bob's camera this is Games Workshop returning original artwork to the artists who haven't claimed it.

I recognize many of the people on the list as recent and not so recent contributors to Games Workshop but there are certainly a few who I have no clue WHO they are. That's why I posted the note here. Any forum that has a contributor that knows where the Fiend Folio original artwork is the place this list should be posted.

A deadline gets the lazy off of their butts. I've worked with enough artists to know that while the good ones meet deadlines a lot don't. Hopefully this will create some urgency and cause those on the list to act.

*disclaimer*

I used to work for Games Workshop.

*end disclaimer*

At a guess a large chunk of this is probably from before the time that anything submitted to Games Workshop became their property. (Which is the exact same way other large creative companies operate.) Games Workshop has stored the works in questions in their archives and is now making an effort to get what isn't their property back in the hands of those it does belong to. It's called acting responsibly. (It's also called freeing up room. This stuff is big and expensive to store.)

Had they tried to keep or destroy the artwork without notifying anyone it might be appropriate to call them any number of names.

Best,

Jim

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:04 am 

Actually, to the best of my knowledge, the reason that GW has all of this art in the first place is that they DID keep it and refuse to return it to the illustrators, much like TSR used to do in the early days. I know that Paul Bonner, for one, is so attached to his artwork that he absolutely refuses to sell a single piece, so I can't imagine him just leaving work behind. Plus, when I contacted GW years ago asking about getting in touch with their artists, I was told that GW kept all of the art done by their in-house stable - apparently, they've given up on that now, which is wonderful.

So the deadline thing IS a little cheezy, but we'll give credit where credit is due for the attempt.

I know a few of the artists on the list, so I'll pass the info along to them.

Thanks very much for posting!!

Pat

"Life is short, art is forever, and the credit card bills to buy the art last just slightly longer."