Monstrous Compendium Appendix "insert/tab" divider
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:11 pm 

Hello everyone!

I'm hoping some knowledgeable soul here can help me...

When they first came out, I bought the 2nd Edition MONSTROUS COMPENDIUM in three-ring binder format, plus its many APPENDICES, which were designed to be inserted into the COMPENDIUM.

Problem is, I want to sell off some of the APPENDIX sets, but for the life of me can't remember which full-color "insert/tab" divider cards went with the three-ring COMPENDIUM itself, and which ones went with which APPENDIX!  :oops:

I can submit a description list of which dividers I have.  Some of the later divider cards actually had the TSR product code on them, but the vast majority of them did not.  So any help would be most greatly appreciated!  :D

Cheers,
John
aka Wandering Monster

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:14 am 

Hi John,

can you please post scans? I'm sure we can identify them for you.

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:10 am 

Hi Ralf!

How do I go about posting scans on here?  I've never done is before...  :?

Best,
John
aka Wandering Monster

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:22 am 

Wandering Monster wrote:Hi Ralf!

How do I go about posting scans on here? I've never done is before... :?

Best,
John
aka Wandering Monster

You need to upload the pictures to a webspace and can then link the picture from your post. I think there are free sites like photobucket who offer webspace for pictures.

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:35 pm 

I have the same problem,  I just bought 2 binders of the monstrous compendiums with 11 different ones in it and all of the colour dividers are in the back of the second binder.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:46 pm 

I have the same problem, I just bought 2 binders of the monstrous compendiums with 11 different ones in it and all of the colour dividers are in the back of the second binder.

Many of the dividers have the codes on them, so it shouldn't be that hard to sort them out. MC1 and MC2 don't, so I'm looking forward to some scans :) Else I'll try to post some scans tomorrow. I have a whole MC binder with nothing but dividers and I guess we could all use some help on this topic....... :?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:24 pm 

fluffmaister wrote:Many of the dividers have the codes on them, so it should be that hard to sort them out. MC1 and MC2 don't, so I'm looking forward to some scans :) Else I'll try to post some scans tomorrow. I have a whole MC binder with nothing but dividers and I guess we could all use some help on this topic....... :?

Heh, I cut up a bunch of those and had my mom laminate them when I was a kid. Used 'em as posters.

The one with the undead warrior surprising the adventurers at the campfire.. ah, I loved that. Tried for months to dupe my players into setting up a campsite in a similar spot so I could pop that picture out and go "And on Mark's watch.. surprise!"   :lol:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:16 pm 

Hello again, all!   :D

Until I can get my scanner (and my G4, for that matter) back in working order, here are descriptions of the Monstrous Compendium divider cards that need to be reunited with their correct appendices:

--Strahd von Zarovich carrying unconscious blonde in tattered white dress (basically the cover art from module I10 Ravenloft II)

--Lizardman carrying unconscious brunette in tattered gray dress (basically the cover art from module B9 Castle Caldwell and Beyond, I think)

--Withered elven king gazing into crystal ball as green dragon looks at him (basically the cover art from module DL10 Dragons of Dreams)

--A giant(?) with a huge black war hammer attacks a warrior hiding behind a shield; his fallen comrade lies near the attacker (I think this was a Dragon magazine cover, circa issue 126 or so, artist is Daniel R. Horne)

--A wizard of some sort prepares for battle as a blue-skinned demi-human (drow?) orders a green, scaly, centaur-like fiend to attack him (Clyde Caldwell again)

--A red dragon in a cavern breathes fire at the viewer (I think this was a Dragon magazine cover as well, copyright of 1987)

--A yeti takes a swipe at a doofy-looking fighter in platemail (another Dragon magazine cover, by Daniel R. Horne, 1985)

--A skeleton warrior bursts through a door along with bats (another Dragon magazine cover, for a Halloween issue?

--A Keith Parkinson pose of a huge red dragon bracing for battle amongst its treasure horde (I think this was an early Dungeon cover)

--A giant, axe-wielding skeleton erupts from the snow in front of a female human ranger with a bow and arrow (Daniel R. Horne, 1987, another Dragon cover?)

--A fighter is surprised by a ten-headed hydra (was this cover art for a Forgotten Realms item?)

--A war scene in which several orcs belligerently watch the approach of several armored humans (Jim Halloway is the artist, I think; another Dragon cover?)

--The Gods of Lankhmar stalk the city's streets (cover art from one of the Lankhmar accessories or modules, by Keith Parkinson)

--A winged centaur nocks an arrow to shoot (cover art from module M1 or M2, I think)

--The cover art from FR2 Moonshae (I think this goes with Forgotten Realms Appendix 3, TSR 2104, but I could be mistaken!)

--The cover art from FR4 The Magister (I think this goes with Forgotten Realms Appendix 3, TSR 2104, but I could be mistaken!)
(What's the third divider that goes with this one??)

The following actually have TSR product codes and MC abbreviations on them (praise the designers!):

--Cover art from WG7 Castle Greyhawk (2107-MC5)
--Cover art from Greyhawk Adventures (2107-MC5)
--Cover art from Dragon issue #58 (2107-MC5)
(BTW, does anyone know if these were the only three dividers to come with the Greyhawk Monstrous Compendium Appendix???)

--Cover art from one of Doug Niles' Moonshae books, as the god Bhaal rises from the desecrated pool while a battle rages on (MC8-2118).
(Which Forgotten Realms appendix is this one???)

--A warrior on horseback slashes at a dragon's head (MC14-2129)
(What Appendix is that one???)

These came with the Spelljammer Appendix (MC7, TSR 2109) and have those codes on them:
--Rogue with sword lifts necklace from glaring, wounded mind flayer
--Female elf with dagger hides from beholder in asteroid field
--"ghost" spelljammer ship populated with undead in red mist
--ship with glowing blue bottom lifts off the waves into the sky
Are these the only four dividers that come with this set???

These two came with another Spelljammer Appendix (MC9, TSR 2119) and have those codes on them:
--deserted, wrecked spelljamming ships drift in an apparent minefield
--a mind flayer nautiloid in the foreground with some butterfly-like ships in the background (which look rather like TIE fighters, I might add)

What other dividers are missing from this set???

Thanks to any and everyone who replies to these questions!   :D
John
aka Wandering Monster

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:32 pm 

As far as I know, all the appendixes came with four dividers. I checked my MC Folder 1, but I found out I have 17(?) unnumbered dividers..all different.

the mystery continues.....:P

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:41 pm 

Hi Wondering monster,

I've checked out all the tabs I have and identified what belong with what. Unmarked tabs belong to Either MC1, MC2 or MC3. All other Appendixes have their codes printed on them (unless you cut them up and make posters of them :P) You'l have to forgive me for labelling certain dividers MC1/2. I have never seen MC1 or 2 seperate as all the MC Folders I've recieved always had both in them...mixed.

From MC 1and MC 2 I can identify:
1. Strahd von Zarovich carrying unconscious blonde in tattered white dress (basically the cover art from module I10 Ravenloft II)
2. Lizardman carrying unconscious brunette in tattered gray dress (basically the cover art from module B9 Castle Caldwell and Beyond, I think)
3. Withered elven (MY GUESS WOULD BE LICH :P)king gazing into crystal ball as green dragon looks at him (basically the cover art from module DL10 Dragons of Dreams)
4. A giant(?) with a huge black war hammer attacks a warrior hiding behind a shield; his fallen comrade lies near the attacker (I think this was a Dragon magazine cover, circa issue 126 or so, artist is Daniel R. Horne)
5. A wizard of some sort prepares for battle as a blue-skinned demi-human (drow?) orders a green, scaly, centaur-like fiend to attack him (Clyde Caldwell again)
6. A yeti takes a swipe at a doofy-looking fighter in platemail (another Dragon magazine cover, by Daniel R. Horne, 1985)
7. A skeleton warrior bursts through a door along with bats (another Dragon magazine cover, for a Halloween issue?
8. A fighter is surprised by a ten-headed hydra (was this cover art for a Forgotten Realms item?)
9. A giant, axe-wielding skeleton erupts from the snow in front of a female human ranger with a bow and arrow (Daniel R. Horne, 1987, another Dragon cover?)
10. A war scene in which several orcs belligerently watch the approach of several armored humans (Jim Halloway is the artist, I think; another Dragon cover?)
11. A winged centaur nocks an arrow to shoot (cover art from module M1 or M2, I think)
12. A red dragon in a cavern breathes fire at the viewer (I think this was a Dragon magazine cover as well, copyright of 1987)
13. A Keith Parkinson pose of a huge red dragon bracing for battle amongst its treasure horde (I think this was an early Dungeon cover) THIS WAS DUNGEON #1
14. The Gods of Lankhmar stalk the city's streets (cover art from one of the Lankhmar accessories or modules, by Keith Parkinson) (FROM 'SWORDS OF DECEIT')

You are missing:
15. Girl with spellfire attacking dragonlich - From Forgotten Realms Campaign setting revised edition
16. Van strahd on balcony (from I6 I think)

I think these are from MC 3:
1. The cover art from FR4 The Magister (I think this goes with Forgotten Realms Appendix 3, TSR 2104, but I could be mistaken!)
2. The cover art from FR2 Moonshae (I think this goes with Forgotten Realms Appendix 3, TSR 2104, but I could be mistaken!)

You would be missing:
3. Beholder in underground lair with 2 braineaters - From one of the FR extras
4. Genie and Dragon attack(?) 2 guys with huge Gem

Remaining questions:
* MC 5 comes with 4 dividers. You are missing the fourth with the coverart for GDQ1-7, with the drowbabes on it :)
* MC14 is the Fiend Folio Appendix
* MC7 comes with 4 dividers.
* I don't have a MC9 lying around to check as my girlfriend needed it more then I did, but somebody here must have one lying around.

Hope this helps

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:56 pm 

Wandering Monster wrote:These two came with another Spelljammer Appendix (MC9, TSR 2119) and have those codes on them:
--deserted, wrecked spelljamming ships drift in an apparent minefield
--a mind flayer nautiloid in the foreground with some butterfly-like ships in the background (which look rather like TIE fighters, I might add)

What other dividers are missing from this set???

Thanks to any and everyone who replies to these questions!  :D
John
aka Wandering Monster

One is the cover from the Spelljammer box
The other is the artwork on the cover of the Realmspace Book

ShaneG.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:34 pm 

fluffmaister wrote:3. Withered elven (MY GUESS WOULD BE LICH :P)king gazing into crystal ball as green dragon looks at him (basically the cover art from module DL10 Dragons of Dreams)

Nope, it's Lorac, the king of the Silvanesti. It's from Dragonlance. Pretty cool story there actually.

15. Girl with spellfire attacking dragonlich - From Forgotten Realms Campaign setting revised edition

One of the coolest pictures ever, imo. Even if I think Spellfire is retarded ;)

* I don't have a MC9 lying around to check as my girlfriend needed it more then I did, but somebody here must have one lying around.

Heheh, ouch!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:24 pm 

One of the coolest pictures ever, imo. Even if I think Spellfire is retarded  

I'm more of a fan of the skeletal warrior goign through the door, with the bats and stuff. It was the cover for the computergame 'Eye of the Beholder', which got me into playing regular Dungeons & Dragons.

Heheh, ouch!

Well, if my manhood was measured in the size of my D&D collection then my girlfriend is more man then I am  :twisted:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:53 am 

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd wander on by and seek the help of one of our resident sages...  :wink:

While in the process of cleaning/excavating, I came across one more Monstrous Compendium tab/insert... It's got the cover art of module CM6 WHERE CHAOS REIGNS (wooly mammoth) on it, and I need to know which "set" of Monstrous Compendium insert pages it came with.

Cheers,
JohnH
aka Wandering Monster

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:46 am 

Wandering Monster wrote:Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd wander on by and seek the help of one of our resident sages...  :wink:

While in the process of cleaning/excavating, I came across one more Monstrous Compendium tab/insert... It's got the cover art of module CM6 WHERE CHAOS REIGNS (wooly mammoth) on it, and I need to know which "set" of Monstrous Compendium insert pages it came with.

Cheers,
JohnH
aka Wandering Monster

hey i have a few spares of that too - so would also appreciate knowing!

shane did stick up a page not so long back to help me but i cant find it right now...

Al

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:13 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
hey i have a few spares of that too - so would also appreciate knowing!

shane did stick up a page not so long back to help me but i cant find it right now...

Al

http://quadrium.homelinux.org/~or/mc_intro.html

Not sure if it has the dividers listed though

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:02 am 

Shane had written:
>> http://quadrium.homelinux.org/~or/mc_intro.html
>> Not sure if it has the dividers listed though
>> ShaneG.

I just checked out this site, and unfortunately, it does not list the inserts.   :cry:

In his FAQ, the guy says that's a project in progress...

Cheers,
JohnH
aka Wandering Monster