Running the Rares
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:20 pm 

I've run C2 a few times over the years, but just for fun I ran the original (tournament) Inverness for my group last week.  It was a HELL of a lot more fun than C2, much better pace.  The MU was the sole survivor, and he made it out with only 5 hit points remaining (I didn't allow resting for healing or re-acquiring spells).  Incidentally, the MU was also the only one who made it across the chess board without taking damage.

Anyway, by the time he found the Soul Gem, he had nothing left but the huge blue gem he found early on (in the manticore encounter, I believe).  I allowed him to hammer away at the sphere with that, and he was smart enough to stay in the same sector throughout that encounter.  He was lucky enough not to get zapped.

Next on the list is either PoVQ or Lost Tamo.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:21 pm 

I've always wanted to run S1.. but my players outnumber me, and they know where I live ;)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:01 am 

afoolandhis$ wrote:I've run C2 a few times over the years, but just for fun I ran the original (tournament) Inverness for my group last week. It was a HELL of a lot more fun than C2, much better pace. The MU was the sole survivor, and he made it out with only 5 hit points remaining (I didn't allow resting for healing or re-acquiring spells). Incidentally, the MU was also the only one who made it across the chess board without taking damage.

Anyway, by the time he found the Soul Gem, he had nothing left but the huge blue gem he found early on (in the manticore encounter, I believe). I allowed him to hammer away at the sphere with that, and he was smart enough to stay in the same sector throughout that encounter. He was lucky enough not to get zapped.

Next on the list is either PoVQ or Lost Tamo.

That sounds great fun. If you send me a copy I'll run it and let you know how we get on. :D :wink:

This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:00 pm 

Where do you find someone who hasn't played them yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:06 am 

mordrin wrote:Where do you find someone who hasn't played them yet?

My son and some of his school mates from the neighborhood.  Imagine cutting your teeth on something like a tournament Inverness.  Man, those kids don't know how good they've got it... 8)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:37 am 

Ran R1 on Wednesday

[spoiler]
Black pudding removed two plusses of magical armour

Dispel Magic took out a light gem, and the party didn't figure out what was going on until I started telling them that their potions "didn't seem to work". Hah!

Party got jumped by the wights in the alcoves TWICE !
Paladin (front row) lost three levels and decided to leave the dungeon once he got down to 2 hit points.

Party got frightened by the beware undead sign, without even checking the other side of the arch. Didn't go into the room enough to see the potion. Couldn't figure out the little hole, despite knowing about the V present somewhere.

Watchman had the party and dumped them into the wererats room (which the party had glimpsed earlier after the paladin had read the exploding sign).

Party dealt with the wererats but forgot to check the room for treasure (I intended to drop a reminder at a sensible time, but never had one)
Magic User did cloudkill the 24 w/rs, which was good.

Re-visited the watchman - half jumped out the lift as it descended and were got again. The others piled in and grabbed the rod somehow and got the watchman with it. (something like that)

He led them up to the thieves at the top.
The front cover provided some clues. Trolls came in and got lightning bolted (lots of 6's thrown). Blocks fell on a climber before the oil started pouring in. A web helped give enough time for the party to rope-trick up to the top before the rest of the trolls came.
Hack and slash ensued with waves of thieves arriving.
Eventually they ran out of time with a handful of thieves and a vampire remaining. Heal helped the monk stay alive a lot longer.

Zero out of five potions

:-)

Next time I've promised them an easier one.
Thanks Frank for a devious time!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:52 am 

b_stedman wrote: Watchman had the party and dumped them into the wererats room (which the party had glimpsed earlier after the paladin had read the exploding sign).

Re-visited the watchman - half jumped out the lift as it descended and were got again. The others piled in and grabbed the rod somehow and got the watchman with it. (something like that)

BONZO!

Man, that's a great play-by-play.  Awesome!  Thanks for the post.   :D

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:00 pm 

It's getting very boring on eBay. There hasn't been anygood rares to fight over recently. Isn't it about time someone sold something rare or unique?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:21 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:It's getting very boring on eBay. There hasn't been anygood rares to fight over recently. Isn't it about time someone sold something rare or unique?

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but here ya go!!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 84145&rd=1
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
and with uncut photcopied counters..how rare is that!  :wink:  :D

ShaneG.
*goes back to his JG hideaway*

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:26 pm 

I am planning on selling my extra R1 & R3 on Ebay eventually, but if someone is interested now, PM me and let me know. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:27 pm 

Plaag wrote:
mbassoc2003 wrote:It's getting very boring on eBay. There hasn't been anygood rares to fight over recently. Isn't it about time someone sold something rare or unique?

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but here ya go!!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 84145&rd=1
:lol: :lol: :lol:
and with uncut photcopied counters..how rare is that! :wink: :D

ShaneG.
*goes back to his JG hideaway*

Umm...that copy continues to show up week after week because Cougar refuses to drop his ridiculous reserve.  The last few weeks have been unbearably boring, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so.  :wink:

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:24 pm 

Finally got around to running the Fazzlewood for my kids this weekend.

My 5-yr daughter old went through it first, and made it as far as the basilisk room (turned to stone).  Not-freakin'-bad, I'd say.

She told my 9-yr old son about it, and he wanted a shot at it.  He made it through with 5 minutes to spare, and scored 30 points.  He had a great time, but I'd say overall it was a little on the tame side.  The Inverness tourney is still my favorite.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:54 pm 

I've run the R series,  Tomo and the Jade Hare. The Jade actually became a casualty as the corner got a little wet when I dumped my beer over  8O . Well at least it was a coverless and not my only copy.

everyone seems to enjoy them and appreciates the signifigance of being able to go through them. If I do decide to brave it again I think it will be either the PotVQ or Inverness

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:08 pm 

I've always though Dwarven Glory looks like it could be fun. I've not had the chance to run it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:14 pm 

Lordan wrote:I've run the R series

Falx was the final of the first-ever RPGA tournament at GenCon South in '81, and still works well. Hydell was something I dashed off for the 1980 DM invitational (and won). Egg was 2 rounds of a GenCon tourney ('82?) and Doc was the final round. We killed a lot of PCs in Doc's Island.

:twisted:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:27 pm 

mordrin wrote:Where do you find someone who hasn't played them yet?

Actually, I have not played most modules...and I have not read them either.

As a policy, I do not read modules until I plan to run them or until I definitely do not plan to run them.

Go figure.   :?

Mark

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:48 am 

Has anyone actually ever run or played ST1?  After reading it, I can't imagine it would be much fun.  Not my style at all.  There's too much of that cute British nonsense, like in, dare I say it, Douglas Adams.

I want my money back!

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:51 pm 

bombadil wrote:Has anyone actually ever run or played ST1?  After reading it, I can't imagine it would be much fun.  Not my style at all.  There's too much of that cute British nonsense, like in, dare I say it, Douglas Adams.

I want my money back!

Thus my theory....that a high percentage of items become rares because they are terrible game products....or as a direct result of how poorly they did in sales originally.

It is an irony of collecting that the items I would not spend $5 on back in the day....because they were terrible game values....are some of the most collectible items today precisely because they were crude and highly esoteric.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."