Removing Price Stickers, Safely & Easily
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:14 pm 

I saw a comment in the other thread that was mentioning an item having a price sticker, and I guess the assumption is that it lowers the value.

Unless it's a HUGE honkin' sticker, it's very, very easy to remove without doing any damage to your book. I'd thought this would be common knowledge, but perhaps not =)

Just use lighter fluid, and gently rub off or peel off the sticker. If you want to be really delicate about it, use a q-tip to apply it. I generally just squirt a bit (or a lot) onto the item, give it 30 seconds, and then rub the sticker off.

I can't gaurantee that it'll work on everything, but it's worth a try. It *won't* repair any damage such as the glue seeping into the paper and permanently discoloring it, but it'll get the sticker off easily. The lighter fluid just evaporates, leaving your item completely unmarked. I used it to clean up my OCE earlier, squirting a bunch straight onto the cover of two of the books :)  I've gone through most of a bottle cleaning up books this month, and it works like a charm.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:29 am 

Have you tried this with masking tape?  I might have to give it a go myself.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:39 am 

GraysonAC wrote:Just use lighter fluid, and gently rub off or peel off the sticker.

Gray, thanks for the info. A question for you: do you see this working well for mailing labels, too? Or are labels and stickers considered different creatures to lighter fluid?

I ask because I just came into possession of a bunch of neat old magazines (non-gaming; stuff like Sports Illustrated, The New Yorker, etc.). And, of course, every single one has an unsightly mailing label (many from dentists' offices :)).

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:07 am 

I have had great results from Un-Du (un-du® Original Adhesive, Sticker, Tape and Label Remover - Acid Free and Photo Safe - Buy Direct - VOC Compliant). Of course, for all I know it's lighter fluid gussied-up!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:31 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:Fancy-schmancy new e-mail: [email protected]

Wow!  8)  I forgot to ask for mine.

Not that anyone other than the geeks and freaks are going to be impressed! :roll:  :wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:51 am 

I use goo gone, it works great and is non flammable.  :wink:

johnhuck wrote:
Xaxaxe wrote:Fancy-schmancy new e-mail: [email protected]

Wow! 8) I forgot to ask for mine.

Not that anyone other than the geeks and freaks are going to be impressed! :roll: :wink:

"What can I get for $10?"

"Mint Rare and Shrinkwrapped-just pick that bar of soap up for us pls, we love you long time!"

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:44 pm 

Yeah, Goo Gone is apparently popular as well, if you want to spend the bit of extra money.

I use lighter fluid (Ronosol) - not sure if the other stuff would work, but I wouldn't use anything that had colour in it, just in case. I'm sure lf would work for masking tape, and I can't imagine it not working for mailing labels. It would take quite a bit for a large label, but obviously, it's worth the bit of time :)  Thus far, it's worked perfectly for me to remove price stickers and caked-in dirt on fairly dense surfaces (like glossy magazine covers).

I'd recommend trying a little tiny bit of it on a corner of something before going hogwild with it, but I've had 0 problems, and I've never heard of anyone else having problems with it causing damage.

It can take some time to get things off cleanly, but what I ended up doing was lining up 5 or 6 books with stickers on them, squeezing some lighter fluid into a little bowl, and then using a q-tip to liberally apply the lf to the sticker. You need it to soak through so it can dissolve the glue under the sticker, which sometimes takes multiple soakings. Make sure you do the peeling when the sticker is still wet. Then use your nail to carefully lift up the corner, and slowly peel off the sticker. Then just add a bit more lf to the area and wipe off the residue with a paper towel or your thumb. All the excess lf will just evaporate, right off the book and off your fingers. It's almost a no-mess operation :P

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:31 pm 

I use goo-gone and I've actually found a cheap source for it.  (I go through tons of it since I wind up with alot of books from a local store that uses the WORST price stickers ever)  I have been buying it for $2.00 for a good sized bottle from an independent local auto parts store.  Not too bad!  The goo gone is also good just to clean up a book cover that doesn't look it's best anymore.  Just a tiny bit on a buff cloth and it really helps a book shine again.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:55 am 

I was about to ask this question, then searched an found this old thread with all the answers. I'm off to hunt lighter fluid and Goo-gone!!!

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:24 am 

Its actually called 'goo be gone'. And there is NO WAY I would EVER use it or lighter fluid on a valuable collectors grade item............

I would rather leave the freeking sticker on it and not risk damage.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:18 pm 

Aneoth wrote:Its actually called 'goo be gone'. And there is NO WAY I would EVER use it or lighter fluid on a valuable collectors grade item............

I would rather leave the freeking sticker on it and not risk damage.

The type of surface definitely affects how much the solvents remove. Hardbound books survive just fine.  Less durable surfaces like a softbound book or supplement can lose the price sticker and some of the printed ink.  Yeah, I hate the few items that I have . . .

Goo-Be-Gone is thicker and darker than lighter fluid, so it has a higher risk of staining or eating away at the ink.   Lighter fluid may evaporate easily without leaving a detectable stain.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:20 pm 

As an alternative to solvents (although Ronsonol is amazing), you can use panty hose stretched over your finger/hand on hardbacks and other reasonably durable surfaces to peel away stickers pretty effectively. It's more gentle than you think. In years gone by, it was the only "mostly safe" way to remove the gum from a baseball card. Of course, attempting to scrape gum off a Griffey RC that is otherwise worthless is a pretty safe bet. Still, I thought it merited mentioning just to have all options out there.

"Surely you don't disbelieve the prophecies just because you had a hand in bringing them about?" J.R.R. Tolkien

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:56 pm 

Thanks aneoth, JohnGaunt and tigerking for those additional tips. No I certainly wouldn't risk using it on any very valuable items. I will experiment a bit with junk stuff first. Thanks.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:05 pm 

How about using a hair dryer?  I don't know how well it would work on books, but I've used it countless times on video games (not just cartridges, but the cardboard boxes they come in too).  Basically it dries the glue out and then the sticker comes right off!  Much less messy than any of the chemical solutions (no pun intended).