25mm vs 28mm?
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:09 am 

Hi all.  Do you prefer 25mm or 28mm miniatures for your oD&D/AD&D gaming needs?  It's actually kind of hard to find new models in 25mm scale, but 28mm seems to be pretty easy to get.  Curious if anyone thinks any of the current miniatures lines are good to use for old school games.  

As a related note, I was thinking, it might be a good business to put out a line of new metal miniatures in 25mm scale that directly corresponded to the old 1st edition MM.  Every time I see the new plastic WotC minis and see "booster packs" for sale on Ebay I feel like I'm about to vomit.

WWW ICQ  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:00 am 

Can somone enlighten me regarding 28mm.  I understood 25mm=1inch.  But where did 28mm come from? (prays for a complicated answer rather than missing the obvious :? )

There was a big difference in 25mm figures when comparing those produced in the early 70s to those from the early 80s.  Certainly more "chunky" and generally taller by the 80s.

Just like action figures of today are invariably musclebound.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:46 am 

Well, I guess that they have this manga effect like Ken the Warrior and such... I love the early Grenadier minis because they are... well... meek, absolutely non-heroic.

As a peasant lost in a dungeon, so to speak.

"It's mint, it's a first print, and it's mine!"

KA-POW

"Not anymore".

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:42 am 

As I understand it, 28mm was just a marketing ploy by some minis companies to differentiate a new line from previous ones and other manufacturers by saying, "Hey, it's bigger!"  But at the same time not being big enough to make a potential customer balk at purchasing 28mm because they won't jive with a large collection of 25mm.  They can pretty much be used interchargeably without much consternation over mismatched sizes.  

70's minis were a bit clunky but some have their charm, especially the Heritage Dungeon Dwellers line.  You can just imagine the good ol' days with those minis and a woodgrain box.  Grenadier's gold line series match pretty closely to 1st ed. Monster Manual pics.  And Ral Partha's official AD&D line matches very closely to 2nd ed. pics and are arguably the best sculpts ever done for D&D.  

The plastic stuff is pretty horrid IMO, I won't touch the stuff.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:52 am 

Well, the Citadel's plastic ones are not bad - I painted some and they do look good. But I bet that this batch of D&D plastics stink big time without even having seen it ....

Hmmm, how I feel positively bigoted now...  :twisted:

"It's mint, it's a first print, and it's mine!"

KA-POW

"Not anymore".

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:05 am 

Well, I'm not sure about the whole Games Workshop/Citadel origins of the differentiation, but IIRC, they were the first to jump from 25mm to 28mm and even 30mm in some cases (each size corresponding in scale to 5' height of the figure in game, though all still use 1' or 25mm squares for movement of 5 feet).

Today, most figures are produced in the 28mm or 30mm scale; Reaper, I think, calls it "Heroic" scale. Basically what it means is that if you have older figures that keep to true 25mm, when you use them with modern figs they look like children next to their counterparts. Not as bad as, say, using 15mm figs with 25mm did (I used to use 15mm figs for halflings vs. standard 25mm figs for humans), but it is still jarring. Reaper's "Dancing Girl" figures are as big as some early 25mm Ogres!

James

James Mishler
James Mishler Games

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:55 pm 

jamesmishler wrote:Well, I'm not sure about the whole Games Workshop/Citadel origins of the differentiation, but IIRC, they were the first to jump from 25mm to 28mm and even 30mm in some cases (each size corresponding in scale to 5' height of the figure in game, though all still use 1' or 25mm squares for movement of 5 feet).

Today, most figures are produced in the 28mm or 30mm scale; Reaper, I think, calls it "Heroic" scale. Basically what it means is that if you have older figures that keep to true 25mm, when you use them with modern figs they look like children next to their counterparts. Not as bad as, say, using 15mm figs with 25mm did (I used to use 15mm figs for halflings vs. standard 25mm figs for humans), but it is still jarring. Reaper's "Dancing Girl" figures are as big as some early 25mm Ogres!

I like using the new, 28 mm monsters with the older 25 mm figures...makes the creatures properly huge and scary!!!

Some of the plastic figures are ok, I have the fiendish Tyranosaurus here that I've been using for Raptors in a jungle campaign I"m running, It's pretty well molded and painted.  But in general I'm about 99% lead.

Mike B.

Mike B.