GenCon 2005 Auction
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:47 am 

Will they put out an Auction catalog or do I really have to sit in the auction for four days bidding against all of you?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:11 am 

Sit.

The best you can do, to my knowledge, is that they post on the door/wall a rough schedule of when various types of items will go up.  The really rare high-price stuff usually goes together in one (~4hr?) session, IIRC.  The also put some of the primo items in a display case for viewing ahead of time, I think.

I prefer to use GC to play, so I only auction when I have a rare gap in schedule.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:52 pm 

Prufrock wrote:Will they put out an Auction catalog or do I really have to sit in the auction for four days bidding against all of you?

By all means sit through it!!  Some of my fondest memories of the Con were sitting at the auction.  I became such a junkie that I would sit through almost all of catagories, even the one's I wasn't interested in -  CCG's, bookcase games, miniatures, etc.  Before the move from Milwaukee, I was at the auction MORE then I played in events!!

But if you have to play, don't miss the collector's auction.  All the stops come out and it's every man, woman, and/or child for themselves!!!

By the by, anyone know who the fellow was that sat in the front row with what seemed like an unending supply of money, winning almost everything he bid on?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:41 pm 

muaddib5 wrote:By the by, anyone know who the fellow was that sat in the front row with what seemed like an unending supply of money, winning almost everything he bid on?

I forget ... was it a guy who goes by "leopard"? Or "tiger"? Or "ocelot"? Or "panther"? It was some member of the large-cat-with-big-teeth family ...

++++

(Sorry, too good of a set-up to pass on. Please return to your regularly-scheduled thread ...) :)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:57 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:I forget ... was it a guy who goes by "leopard"? Or "tiger"? Or "ocelot"? Or "panther"? It was some member of the large-cat-with-big-teeth family ...

Makes a change from the mostly-harmless eBay variety... :D

[ed: oh.... *re-reads*... I see what ya mean! :oops:]

=
Sorry; can't afford to pop over to help boost the bidding. ;)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:03 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
Xaxaxe wrote:I forget ... was it a guy who goes by "leopard"? Or "tiger"? Or "ocelot"? Or "panther"? It was some member of the large-cat-with-big-teeth family ...

Makes a change from the mostly-harmless eBay variety... :D

[ed: oh.... *re-reads*... I see what ya mean! :oops:]

=
Sorry; can't afford to pop over to help boost the bidding. ;)

Yea, and even then you wouldn't be able bid up people who have stacked their high bids. :P

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:33 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Yea, and even then you wouldn't be able bid up people who have stacked their high bids. :P

*g*. Would have to stand at the back of the room to scope/psych out the opposition, instead, and carry a /really/ long stick in case I needed to prod anyone into making another bid.

=
btw. I still don't know why eBay permits that crazy situation to exist, since it's a major negative to any non-sniping bidders.
Since high-bids are proxies, any higher proxy "bid" from the leading bidder should really just replace their existing one rather than be a new "bid", as such. (Otherwise, it's also as though the current high-bidder is bidding against themselves!).

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:06 am 

Hi All,

sounds completely different to the UK Gencon auction.

Thats normally limited to 3 or 4 hours (they only accept the first few lots entered), and it tends largely to be artwork (and mainly prints, not originals).

Cheers,
Malcolm

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:36 pm 

muaddib5 asked who the guy in the front row was. i`m presuming he was referring to me. i was sitting in the front row (as i have for many years at the gencon auctions 1978-2002 plus 2004) with my fiancee & there were lots of near unique things that came up (as muaddib knows-but of course muaddib knows all :-) . anyway, i don`t have an endless supply of cash, but whatever i do have goes to feed my gaming habit. i`m looking forward to meeting burntwire, muaddib and any other acaeum members  at the auction. i`m bought several things from the burntwire brothers via ebay and i`ll be glad to thank them in person for their fast shipments and expert handling of product.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:42 pm 

We have posted a list of freaky rare items in the Classified section that we may put in the GenCon auction this year. We are giving Acaeum members a chance to "bid" first since so few get to attend GenCon. We have reasonable minimums on the items. We will take offers for the next few days. Some of the items are:

-RPGA Tournaments
-TSR Employee items
-Playtest Adventures
-TSR Art Dept./David Sutherland Items(will post later tonight)
etc.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:42 pm 

Alas, I don't think that DWP will be attending GenCon this year so I probably won't be able to meet up with folks this year :/

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:00 pm 

Just added David Sutherland's Dragonlance Concept paperwork to our Classified listing along with a letter from MAR Barker. The Dragonlance stuff contains 70+ pages w/notes and a few sketches as well as a published piece of original Larry Elmore artwork.

I also added low reserves to the items and updated the items with bids.

-Devon

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:04 pm 

burntwire wrote:Just added David Sutherland's Dragonlance Concept paperwork to our Classified listing along with a letter from MAR Barker.

*quietly drowns in drool*

I love the "Art of Dragonlance" book. Picked it up to flip through while waiting for a few searches, and an hour had gone by before I remembered that I was busy, and shouldn't be spending my day flipping through books aimlessly :P  I can't imagine how much time I'd lose to a package like that, heh!

Hope that lot finds a good home to someone :)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:18 pm 

Pre-GenCon auction is over tonight at midnight EST. We have updated the list to reflect current prices. Check the Classifieds for the list.

Devon
&
Shawn

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:58 pm 

burntwire wrote:Pre-GenCon auction is over tonight at midnight EST. We have updated the list to reflect current prices. Check the Classifieds for the list.

How'd the pre-GC auction go guys?  Anything fun left for the convention? :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:41 pm 

grodog wrote:
burntwire wrote:Pre-GenCon auction is over tonight at midnight EST. We have updated the list to reflect current prices. Check the Classifieds for the list.

How'd the pre-GC auction go guys? Anything fun left for the convention? :D

The only items left are the TSR/WOTC Gold Pins, Dragonlance Lot, and the Screamin Red Dragon stuff. We will probably put the Dragonlance Concept lot and the Pins in the GenCon auction and keep the SRD stuff. We will have over 50 items in the auction. Most is wargaming and boardgames, but we may sell some original D&D/Dragon artwork.