My Ebay for Profit (NO... more like break even) Library
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:01 pm 

I'm using Ebay like a library. I buy, I read, I resell (occasionally keep). So what if I lose a couple of $$ each time I resell, I'm enjoying reading D&D and revisiting my youth.

Well, that's the plan. I'm armed with my trusty Acaeum price guide, as long as I don't overshoot Acaeum estimates I should be OK!? :)

So far, so good. I suspect I've been lucky, after all, I've often heard here that there is no money to be made in this, so thats not why I'm doing it. But, I have had some success....

Bought an S1-4 off Alan (aka Killjoy32) for £9 (inc P&P) and just sold it on for £10 (once fees have been deducted).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 5188648730

has just become:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %3AIT&rd=1

To buy, cost me £10 (including s&h), sold for £20+ (once fees removed) :D :D :D

Now, don't get me wrong, I know this D&D for profit won't last!!! :( :( :(

But, it got me thinking, does anyone else here work like this?  Any hints!?

Anyone want to be so kind as to give me a list of "good read" D&D stuff that I might want to buy, just to enjoy - I have a vague recollection a long time ago of reading one of the Gygax Magic Mirror / Dungeonland Mods and being thoroughly entertained. I'm planning on keeping the good stuff (my definition - thoroughly enjoyed reading it, looks nice), but will continue using Ebay as a library in the main.

One last thing, just have a look a minute at my B12 listing, did the photos do it? (I also had over 20 watchers at the end, easily a record for me) Do any of the sellers here do this for lowish value items? I mean, would I seriously of made this price without the pics?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:25 pm 

Right place, right time.

There is no magic formula really.

The best you can hope for are more and more repeat buyers which will add to the possible bidding wars.

"What can I get for $10?"

"Mint Rare and Shrinkwrapped-just pick that bar of soap up for us pls, we love you long time!"

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:20 am 

£23 for B12? I must list my spare copy. :D

When I upgrade items, I then sell the spare on eBay.  Hopefully, I can make a profit to help towards the next lot of purchases.

And buying collections for just one item often means that you can make some money on the rest of the stuff.  But when you factor in the time it takes, the profit is probably a lot less than minimum wage. :(

Although the last time I checked my income and expense from eBay, I was definitely well into the red :oops:

Still, it keeps me off the streets.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:22 am 

johnhuck wrote:£23 for B12? I must list my spare copy. :D

When I upgrade items, I then sell the spare on eBay. Hopefully, I can make a profit to help towards the next lot of purchases.

And buying collections for just one item often means that you can make some money on the rest of the stuff. But when you factor in the time it takes, the profit is probably a lot less than minimum wage. :(

Although the last time I checked my income and expense from eBay, I was definitely well into the red :oops:

Still, it keeps me off the streets.

i buy/sell/trade because i enjoy the material. if i didnt like it so much, i wouldnt bother. everything i get my hands on, a share goes into my own collection, the rest i sell at some point when i get round to it.

i also get a massive buzz when you sell a book to someone who has took so long to find it.

i had a guy who i sold a first world war naval warfare book to. he had been searching for it for 23 years!!! so you can imagine his elation when he got it - things like that are what gives me the impetus to do this. its always nice to make a small profit if you can, but its not always essential for me.

Al

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:38 am 

Same as Al  :)

I buy for myself, sometimes in large lots, so I keep the best and let go the rest - when I get the chance to, as I'm both lazy and full of work to do - a dangerous combo.

So I amass large quantities of material... and sometimes feel the urge to shed it off - or the stuff will drive ME out of my house!

"It's mint, it's a first print, and it's mine!"

KA-POW

"Not anymore".

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:18 pm 

jonjhargreaves wrote:Now, don't get me wrong, I know this D&D for profit won't last!!! :( :( :(

But, it got me thinking, does anyone else here work like this? Any hints!?

It can last, actually, if you're very choosy on what you bid upon.  I'm currently working in a similar fashion...I am starting to buy stuff that I don't want to keep, but that I'm sure I can sell for more, in order to build up the Paypal balance for my "real" collection.  Not self-sufficient yet, but getting there with every good buy. ;)  I'm not jumping on the "Cthulhu" Deities & Demigods bandwagon though, too many others playing that game already.

YIM