Favorite DCSIII illustrations
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:37 am 

For me, my favorite will always be the iconic cover of the "blue box" Basic Set. It was the first D&D product I ever owned (as with many here, I'm sure) and left the longest impression, in no small part due to the cover illustration.

It was the first D&D cover to feature all of the essential elements of the game: a Dragon, a Dungeon, massive amounts of gold pieces, and a wizard and warrior working together.

I can't imagine a Red Dragon looking any other way.

Remarkably, I just received a Lizard Logo F115-R version of the blue Basic book in the mail this week.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:08 am 

My favorite is the cover of the World of Greyhawk folio. One of the very few cover appearances he had. It's not exactly a spectacular painting, but it foreshadowed his later work as a cartographer. Plus, the item being the first real AD&D campaign setting it has a special meaning to me. (As special as it can be considering the fact that I was 5 when DCS created that painting).

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:16 pm 

I've always liked his work in general, and though I don't have a particular favorite, I've always enjoy the the little vignettes he drew in Appendix A of the DMG, where the part of PCs is adventuring and fighting salamanders, trolls, etc.  Similarly, the image in EW for Queen Ehlissa's Marvellous Nightingale (a female wizard conjuring Orcus) has always stood out as well :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:38 pm 

grodog wrote:I've always liked his work in general, and though I don't have a particular favorite, I've always enjoy the the little vignettes he drew in Appendix A of the DMG, where the part of PCs is adventuring and fighting salamanders, trolls, etc. Similarly, the image in EW for Queen Ehlissa's Marvellous Nightingale (a female wizard conjuring Orcus) has always stood out as well :D

yeah i think pretty much the same really....i just liked his art. when i got into D&D in 79/80, i already had a very active imagination, but seeing these amazing images just fired it up all the more and really put some meat on the whole thing generally.

i have to say that if i was REALLY forced to be specific, i would be torn in two really.

1. i loved his work in EPT - quality art all the way there man.

2. my most favorite module - Q1 Queen of the Demonweb Pits - the module that pretty much changed my life forever......

how i soooo kick myself for not bidding higher on his portfolio in stormies auctions..... :cry: