How to find the white *box* ?
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:41 pm 

GraysonAC wrote:I think you must be confusing this one with something else, or else I'm confused :D

The only OCE sets that have sold in the last 3 months have gone for ~$30 (no box) and ~$60, unless Terapeak isn't finding them for some reason.

There was one set that went for $112, but it had Greyhawk and Blackmoor included.

Back in April, each book (1-3) went for $16.50, with the box+reference sheets going for $17.50.

I'd be more than happy to be shown wrong though :o

First of all, I should clarify.  By "OCE", I'm referring to the 6th (or newly discovered 7th!) printing of the original D&D white box set, which has the red starburst on the front.  That's a fairly standard definition around here, but not everyone agrees.  Some people call all white boxed sets OCEs, which in my mind isn't quite accurate, but close enough unless we're getting into specific printing minutia.

I'm not sure what Terapeak is, but I can assure you it isn't finding them all.  The prices are becoming more reasonable lately, but none have dropped into the happy, deimos-loving, dirt cheap range that we all dream of sniping mercilessly.  (You know who you are!  :P )

It's still baffling that 6th/7th printings are selling for considerably more than 4th/5ths.  :roll:

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:50 pm 

Ahh, the fault wasn't the program, it was mine. Astounding. The ones that didn't have either "OCE" or "OD&D" in the title went for more than the ones that did. Heh.

Hrm, I just realized my reference sheets are incomplete. I've only got 3 pages, but there's no "cover page" saying "Reference Sheets"

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:07 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:First of all, I should clarify. By "OCE", I'm referring to the 6th (or newly discovered 7th!) printing of the original D&D white box set, which has the red starburst on the front. That's a fairly standard definition around here, but not everyone agrees. Some people call all white boxed sets OCEs, which in my mind isn't quite accurate, but close enough unless we're getting into specific printing minutia.

*nods*. Still; removing the stock list prices from the back of the book (presumably because they were no longer in date) is a large enough change, IMHO.

Oh, btw, <reindeergamez> copy is a beaut: totally different (high quality) cover cardstock and pages either hybrid or yet another printing, but still have to check...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5207497702

I could do with 20-or-so OCE booksets laid out for comparison, phps.... :(

deimos3428 wrote:I'm not sure what Terapeak is, but I can assure you it isn't finding them all.

Terapeak  | Item Pricing, Online Sales Reports | eBay Research Tools & Market Data
New to me...

deimos3428 wrote:The prices are becoming more reasonable lately, but none have dropped into the happy, deimos-loving, dirt cheap range that we all dream of sniping mercilessly. (You know who you are! :P )

The severe downward blip has been barely one week in duration, although the last few weeks have been a bit more reasonable.

Erm, hadn't realised quite how close you were to that 4th...? :(

deimos3428 wrote:It's still baffling that 6th/7th printings are selling for considerably more than 4th/5ths. :roll:

"Look it says "Collector's Edition". Wow, it must be valuable"?
Dunno 'bout that logic... ;)
(Or has it been even more clueless than that, in general?).

Would have to dig out my relative rarity (on eBay) post, but is something like one 4th print to three 5ths to twenty OCEs. (5A is possibly scarcer than the 4ths and the OCEs are a hodge-podge of relative rarities, if disaggregated).

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:09 pm 

GraysonAC wrote:Hrm, I just realized my reference sheets are incomplete. I've only got 3 pages, but there's no "cover page" saying "Reference Sheets"

*meh*. That is a pain... Would be a good time for a trashed box with slightly dodgy contents plus fine ref sheets to appear on the 'Bay.

(Trouble is last time the OCE prices dipped, the $ for poor condition sets was often higher than for fine ones!).

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:03 am 

harami2000 wrote:

Oh, btw, <reindeergamez> copy is a beaut: totally different (high quality) cover cardstock and pages either hybrid or yet another printing, but still have to check...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5207497702

I'm glad to hear they arrived okay and that they will be appriciated. =)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:14 am 

I found an empty white box yesterday. Had to fill it up. Can't remember her name for the life of me though.......

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:50 pm 

Got my thank-you gifts for the free stuff mailed today, first class.

One copy of The Immortals (D&D rules) and one copy of Traveller High Guard.

Thanks again!

Regards,

Stephen

Previous