A Great Man: David C. Sutherland III
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:43 am 

I cannot even being to express my gratitude to Mr. Sutherland.   His craft allowed me the opportunity to escape when I needed it most, and to find companionships that will endure until I pass.  Thanks David!!

Stormber - any info on the funeral?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:55 am 

When I look at the AD&D 1E Player's Handbook, at D&D and other materials he has illustrated, I cannot help but think RPGs would not be what they are without Dave.

Some would say "Heh. Whatever. If it wasn't him it would have been someone else."

That would be dismissing how things actually happened, and how we are here in the first place. I'm thankful to Dave. I remember way back, in the end of the 80's, looking at the Paladin in Hell, sitting on the living room table at my grand mother's, and marveling at the coolness of the medieval armor and dark tones of the art. In my own mundane way, I've been touched by Dave's imagination.

I thank him for that.

Benoist Poiré

Iron Liege for the Iron League

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:54 am 

A very sad day for D&D fans indeed. Thanks for letting everyone know.

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:12 am 

That's awful.  I knew him primariliy for the great work he did for the Call of Cthulhu RPG.   My condolences to the family.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:15 pm 

Horribly sad news.  

I was just flipping through my DMG the other day, admiring his work.  His illustrations are the ones that really characterize the feel of D&D for me.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:50 pm 

As mentioned in another post, DCSIII, as well as DAT and Erol Otus were THE artists that many of us grew up on while playing D&D and AD&D.  

It is a great blow to the world of gaming and the world of art to lose not only such a tremendous artist, but tremendous human being with such creativity and zest for what is good in life.  Shame on Wizards for treating him the way they did.  

Dave is gone, but like a glimmer in the night sky, a star that will not extinguish, Dave's memory and spirit will live on.  Everytime I or one of us continues to play, buy, sell, or expound upon the virtues of role playing, a part of Dave will be there...for without him and those like him, many like myself would never have grown to love the game as we did...

He added heart, spirit, a visualization to the game which gave it a special intangible which added incredible flavor and character to the game...when I remember those original D&D and AD&D drawings, I literally get chills at times...those connotations, those associations with youthful joy will always have David C. Sutherland III prime among them.

Farewell Dave and may the wind be at your back for evermore....

Peace,

Ethan
(The Sage)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:34 pm 

A very sad event for sure. David's work ALWAYS evoked the true spirit of the game. His art on the Indian gods in Dieties and Demigods in particular always inspired me and my game (as did everything else he drew).

It's very rare to find someone who's so heavily influenced an entire generation of people. David was definitely one of those. Rest in peace David.

Visit the Back In Print website...where OOP is Back In Print!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:59 pm 

Our world has lost a hero

The next has gained one

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:07 am 

I really appreciated his spirit.  I got to know Dave though his love for music.  The band I play in was always fortunate to have him in the house everytime we played in Sault Ste Marie.  He was a kind and generous man that held no hard feeling anymore for his poor treatment by the hands of the business that he helped build.  He regretted only his separation from his family - but he hoped that they knew how much he really did love them.  He had a great hand in aiding many people with not only his spirit - but he also reached out to help people in his final years with whatever he could do to help them.  He would sit in the local pubs and work on art and then he would give every piece away by the end of the evening.  Towards the end his motor skills made it impossible to express himself artistically to his prior glory - but he continued to try to do what he could.  Another band member and I would check up on Dave when we could and make sure he had groceries or whatever he needed - and his spirit was always positive!  I posted some pics of Dave on the band website and some of his artwork, too - feel free to check it out on the pics page at

http://www.badsidemusic.com

Dave will be missed by all that knew him and all that appreciated his artistry!

Jason

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:13 pm 

i had the opportunity to meet him a couple of times at gencon. he was very friendly & kind to (then) teenage me. i mourn his passing and celebrate his huge contribution to the game we love. he was in my opinion, THE d&d artist.

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:57 am 

Not that it changes the reality of all of this, but Casey Christofferson and I went back and inserted a Dedication on the Credits page for the City of Brass book Necromancer Games is putting out (later this year).

Dedicated the book to DCS III...since he did the original cover for the DMG 1E and it was a huge inspiration to us whilst writing the book. (Actually, we had a dedication in there already, we just altered it a bit after the events of this past week)

Scott Greene
Necromance Games

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:59 pm 

David's obituary was printed in today's Minneapolis, MN paper.   I was able to find it in the electronic format.

http://www.legacy.com/startribune/Legac ... d=14232039

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:53 pm 

Howdy Folks,

The St. Paul Pioneer Press has a good article on David C. Sutherland III:

http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpr ... 888030.htm

Also, the wake, funeral, and internment are as follows:

A memorial service will be held at 10 a.m. on June 22 at Fort Snelling Memorial Chapel, with a visitation at 9 a.m. A military burial is at 11:30 a.m. at Fort Snelling National Cemetery.

Dave wished to be cremated. His remains were to be interred in a cardboard box, being placed first into a concrete vault at Ft. Snelling National Cemetery. Well, both his sister and I found that to be unacceptable. So I commissioned a local craftsman to fashion an ossuary box with a special touch in memory of David:

It is lined appropriately and, of course, a set of polyhedrons will go into it.

The visitation and memorial are open to the public. The burial itself is restricted to only cemetery staff and the honor guard. Of course once buried visitation of the grave site is allowed.

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:31 am 

I thought I would bump this to the top of the posts since it is 11:30 on June 22nd.

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:27 pm 

Several of us over on RPG.net have been wondering if there was any sort of fund or place to donate for his kids?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:56 am 

Truly sorry to hear of his passing.  However, I'm glad to hear that he had the appreciation of his fans to help him through his illness.  Through my conversations with him, he seemed to be a truly a kind, talented and giving person.

God bless his family.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:10 am 

I emailed Tom Wham a short while ago about something unrelated to this thread, and received a reply yesterday. Apart from answering my question, he added the following:

We just had a farewell party here in Lake Geneva for Dave Sutherland, who died recently.  Was nice to see a bunch of old faces together again, epecially Gary Gygax, Mike Carr, and Jim Ward.

Would have been quite a gathering, I expect. I replied back mentioning the Acaeum and the well of respect that exists for David here, and also about the auctions held in Dave's name by Stormber a few months back.

Regards

Mike

PreviousNext