Poll: What editions of D&D/AD&D do you collect?
Poll: Which editions of D&D/AD&D do you actively collect?

Original D&D only 4%       4%  [ 3 ]
1st Ed. AD&D only 3%       3%  [ 2 ]
2nd Ed. AD&D only 1%       1%  [ 1 ]
3.0/3.5 D&D only 0%       0%  [ 0 ]
OD&D/1st Ed. AD&D only 30%       30%  [ 21 ]
OD&D/1st Ed. AD&D/2nd Ed. AD&D only 23%       23%  [ 16 ]
OD&D/1st Ed. AD&D/2nd Ed. AD&D/3.0,3.5 D&D (ie. all versions) 30%       30%  [ 21 ]
1st Ed. AD&D/2nd Ed. AD&D only 9%       9%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 70

Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:05 am 

killjoy32 wrote:a. it took ONE HOUR for a group of 6 people to fight 9 orcs - the amount of calculating etc that was going on was like watching someone play warhammer or runequest.

Yup. 3rd Edition takes D&D back heavily to it's wargaming roots. Heck, in 3rd, distance is talked about in squares first, and feet second. An hour for a combat that simple is a bit much, but I've had hours-long fights in some of the games I run and play in. And once you get up to higher levels, where there's a lot more options.. :)

1st/2nd/Basic D&D and 3rd Edition are similar, but definately different beasts. The depth of the rules is the major reason why I jump to disagree with anyone that says that 3rd is "easier" than the earlier editions. Very, very much not so, heh.

The major advantage to the system is that it's a lot more balanced than 1st/2nd ever was. There's not the same "gotta make my character so I don't get stuck playing the cleric" attitude ;)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:58 am 

GraysonAC wrote:1st/2nd/Basic D&D and 3rd Edition are similar, but definately different beasts. The depth of the rules is the major reason why I jump to disagree with anyone that says that 3rd is "easier" than the earlier editions. Very, very much not so, heh.

well i have played 1e AD&D for like 25 years and i can tell you, playing that is SO much easier than 3e! :)

Even my daughter said that. She has only been playing 1e about a year, so is still something of a novice, so still in a position to adapt easily to another format, yet even she said that "your games are so much easier than that one".

I mean don't get me wrong, i have been in some fights in the Hill Giant Steading that were on and off for like hours at a time, due to the depth of things going on.

My favorite combat ever was the pirate ship in U1 Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh, when we stormed the ship....now that truly did rock and the whole combat took about 45 minutes and was immensely exciting!

Too much calculating etc takes the edge off the excitement for me. I am not saying its a bad thing, just not for me.

each to their own in the end, as there are a lot of ppl out there who like 3e very much....

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:05 am 

3rd ed vs basic/1st/2nd ed

basic/1st/2nd - much faster to run combats
shouldn't be, but it is.
It's all the questions that slow it down "what about if I do this that and the other, mr DM. Will you let me go with this interpretation of the rules?"
the mechanics are all there to make a clear-cut fast combat system, yet it doesn't quite happen.
It's just like mobile phones - nowadays they have so many features and functions that they can actually crash. Something like that at least.

I'm a player in two 3.5s and run at least one 1st ed.
Basically, The Temple of Elemental Evil is fast than The Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil

As a player, you're really playing against the rules, rather than against the DM. "I take a five foot step back so you can't hit me and stop my spell going off". I mean, really! IRL the attacker would also take a 5' step.

I've started thinking about using some choice items from 3rd ed and dropping them into 1st ed.
Primarily the initiative system, and possibly the move-action/standard-action component.
I already unofficially use CR based dex checks sometimes.
(Stat-10)/2 die modifier

3rd ed isn't wooden. It's clinical.
I mean, for exactly 2000gp you can have a +1 on your sword.
Where's the mysticism in that?
It's about the same amount of fun ordering off the menu at McDonalds. It's exactly the same stuff whereever you go.

And it's so finely balanced, it almost takes half the fun away.
Clever, it certainly is.

BJS

PS - Might be running U1 on Wednesday. If not, WG5. Either way, some 1st level 1st ed fun

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:24 am 

b_stedman wrote:PS - Might be running U1 on Wednesday. If not, WG5. Either way, some 1st level 1st ed fun

U1 is prb the best mod i have played for years - immense fun. my mate keith, who was DMing is a master at his craft and gave the game such a fabulous flow that it made it all the more enjoyable.

there was a really funny bit actually now that i remember. underground, where you find out what the pirates are up to....the guy who has illusionist spells (i forget his name), who is leading them, we attacked and he escaped down into the caves.... i (playing a fighter of course) charged right after him down the stairs and he turned a corner and up the other way, came some gnolls and some men and there was me hurtling down the stairs.... needless to say (with only 12 hit points left), i stopped and charged back up (getting hit in the back with a knife for my troubles), so i threw and flask of oil down the stairwell and lit it, to stop them.... then i realised we couldnt get down to get the guy either :D oops :D

tremendous fun tho.

in my combats, i just use common sense. sometimes i give the players the benefit of the doubt, if realistically, its possible, or i will counter it with what you would normally expect to happen. works good for me and keeps things moving at a real nice pace that everyone is happy with.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:16 am 

killjoy32 wrote:
b_stedman wrote:PS - Might be running U1 on Wednesday. If not, WG5. Either way, some 1st level 1st ed fun

U1 is prb the best mod i have played for years - immense fun. my mate keith, who was DMing is a master at his craft and gave the game such a fabulous flow that it made it all the more enjoyable.

Strangely, I don't remember this module at all, but I do remember my high level fighter renovating it into a nice summer home once we had finished... :)  Guess I'll have to take a swing at it again too.

YIM  
Previous