Poll: What editions of D&D/AD&D do you collect?
Poll: Which editions of D&D/AD&D do you actively collect?

Original D&D only 4%       4%  [ 3 ]
1st Ed. AD&D only 3%       3%  [ 2 ]
2nd Ed. AD&D only 1%       1%  [ 1 ]
3.0/3.5 D&D only 0%       0%  [ 0 ]
OD&D/1st Ed. AD&D only 30%       30%  [ 21 ]
OD&D/1st Ed. AD&D/2nd Ed. AD&D only 23%       23%  [ 16 ]
OD&D/1st Ed. AD&D/2nd Ed. AD&D/3.0,3.5 D&D (ie. all versions) 30%       30%  [ 21 ]
1st Ed. AD&D/2nd Ed. AD&D only 9%       9%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 70

Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:24 am 

I'm a completist when it comes of OD&D and 1e AD&D - and I am gradually working toward that goal.  I also collect 2e AD&D, though I am pretty selective about what I buy - there are some 2e items that I don't think are worth the paper they're printed on.  I hate the 3e stuff, so I won't be grabbing any of it.

The Egg

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:02 am 

I collect Forgotten Realms material, which spans the end of 1st, all of 2nd, and 3e, so I guess you could say my collecting is  several versions but its only in specialized areas.

In Pursuit of Better Worlds,
Bragi of erin

WWW ICQ YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:25 am 

Shingen wrote:I am picky about things; I love Basic D&D, or Original, and I like and will collect advanced. Like someone else said, 2e is a patchwork; a sort of glossing over of earlier rules. Nontheless, I have alot of it, mostly the many cool campaign settings.

Unlike most other people here, and as has been argued before, I enjoy 3.5 immensely. Being that I have either owned,worked at or had the ins at a hobby store the whole time 3rd Ed has been out, I have all but 2 things released for it.

Your not the only one, I too love 3.5.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:47 am 

Good. I was getting lonely.

I think some of the people who might not liek the system shoudl check out some of the background material, because some of it (Eberron, Ghostwalk, Lords of Madness) can be pretty awesome for a campaign.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:52 am 

I collect OD&D, BECMD&D, 1E AD&D, 1.5E AD&D, 2E AD&D, and select 2.5 E AD&D and 3E D&D items. My primary focus is on Mystara, Judges Guild, and unofficial "generic" 3rd-party products for the early editions. I used to collect tons and tons of 3E and 3.5E stuff, but gave up after the flood just overwhelmed me with utterly inverior products...

Here's how I divide the various editions:

OD&D: Woodgrain, Whitebox, Geyhawk, Blackmoor, Eldritch Wizardry, and Gods, Demi-gods, & Heroes.

HD&D: The Holmes edition of Basic D&D, which is really, system-wise, the "missing link" between D&D and AD&D, and is quite distinct in many elements from the systems before and after.

BECMD&D: Includes Dungeons & Dragons from the 8th printing on, including the Moldvay, Mentzer, and Cyclopedia variations of the game system, separate and distinct from AD&D and what is termed 3E D&D.

1E AD&D: Includes the original MM, PHB, DMG, D&DG, FF, and MMII, with all modules pre-dating the release of Oriental Adventures and Unearthed Arcana.

1.5E AD&D: Includes UA, OA, DSG, WSG, DLA, MoP, and GHA, with attendant modules and setting materials.

2E AD&D: Includes the 2E PHB, DMG, MC's, MM, PHBR's, DMGR's, HREF's, and so forth, up to but not including the release of the various Options books, and all attendant modules and sourcebooks. FRA falls on the cusp between 1.5E and 2E, and was the guide to converting from one system to the next.

2.5E AD&D: Includes the various Player's DM, and Campaign Option books, and the various modules and sourcebooks that were dependent upon them. Several 2E products released concurrently with materials at the time of the 2.5E mess (as I consider it), as the 2.5E materials were, as the name states, optional...

3E (A)D&D: Called Dungeons & Dragons, though it has more in common with Advanced D&D; the "advanced" moniker was dropped for two reasons. First, marketing wise, it was a nightmare, as it drove people away thinking (rightfully so, to an extent) that the system was too complex for beginners to learn. Second, Wizards of the Coast made peace with Dave Arneson, and through various deals was able to finally call the game simply D&D rather than AD&D due to rights and royalties that were cleared up once and for all. 3E includes everything from the release of the 3E PHB, DMG, and MM on up to the release of the 3.5E core rules, not only from WotC, but also from innumerable other companies based on the 3.0 OGL/d20 System rules.

3.5E (A)D&D: as above with 3E, but anything designed for use with the revised rules included in the 3.5 core rules.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:50 am 

Shingen wrote:Good. I was getting lonely.

I think some of the people who might not liek the system shoudl check out some of the background material, because some of it (Eberron, Ghostwalk, Lords of Madness) can be pretty awesome for a campaign.

I think 3.5 is a pretty solid system overall as well.  However, I'm also a "purist" and avoid a lot of the stuff being published for the system, particulrly the modules and "flavor" supplements.  I prefer to do my own stuff.  The Dungeon Crawl Classics are the exception to that--I love those bloody things!

"The Mysterious Tower" (DCC #3) is my particular favorite.  I know it's off topic a bit, but lots of you have said you get these.  ANyone have a favorite?

YIM  

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:16 am 

I collect OD&D and 1E AD&D rule books and modules.   Until I discovered the Acaeum, I had no idea how many subtle differences there are among the various editions.

I'm in the process of learning about JG material.  I'd like to get recommendations for good JG items.  Other than CSIO, I know very little about their products.

I'm also considering starting a collection of "Dragon" (issues 1-50 or so).

D&D 3.5E piques my interest.  When I have the time, I go to B&N, buy a 50 cent cup of coffee for $8 and read through the 3.5E books.  I actually purchased "Manual of the Planes" but that's simply because I've always loved parallel universe science fiction.

Eberron is interesting, particularly Sharn.  The best part of that whole world, though, is Xen'Drik, and it's not developed at all (perhaps that's the idea ... maybe it's left open for DMs to create).

I also agree that Goodman Games' Dungeon Crawl classics are quite good.  

I've heard that Green Ronin puts out some quality material as well.

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:17 am 

Keith wrote:I'm in the process of learning about JG material. I'd like to get recommendations for good JG items. Other than CSIO, I know very little about their products.

I've heard that Green Ronin puts out some quality material as well.

As for Judges Guild: Tegel Manor, Dark Tower or Caverns of Thracia are great, though if you are going campaign settings: First Fantasy or Wilderlands of High Fantasy (course they also were part of my early collection). Tegel Manor I have to vote as my favorite though of all JG products. Thats my opinion and I'm sticking to it!  :)

Green Ronin has some good books, I like Thieves Quarter and am looking forward to the Thieves World setting they are going to put out. (Yeah if ya haven't guessed I like thieves/rogues)

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:49 am 

Plaag wrote:As for Judges Guild: Tegel Manor, Dark Tower or Caverns of Thracia are great, though if you are going campaign settings: First Fantasy or Wilderlands of High Fantasy (course they also were part of my early collection). Tegel Manor I have to vote as my favorite though of all JG products. Thats my opinion and I'm sticking to it! :)

Green Ronin has some good books, I like Thieves Quarter and am looking forward to the Thieves World setting they are going to put out. (Yeah if ya haven't guessed I like thieves/rogues)

ShaneG.

bah what does that shane person know :D (heheh)

a good spread of the JG books are great and most are very easy to adapt to pretty much anything you want. Escape from Astigars Lair is cool - i am actually going to run a game next, using that one. As for Dungeons, the T&T JG module, largest dungeon in the world can easily be ported to D&D and its a great lil crawl in itself and of course, there is Inferno, if you want your higher level guys to take a trip into the first four levels of Hell, and believe me, its damn hard!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:06 pm 

What can I say? I gotta have it all.

Currently, I am only buying 3.0/3.5 edition stuff at $7.00 or less per hardcover (scored a Miniatures Handbook and a 3rd edition Ravenloft Setting hardcover for $4.00 a piece. Paid $6.50 for an Oriental Adventures HC this way), as everyone on ebay likes to push up the price until it's in the $15.00-$26.99 area.

My pockets (or is it my wife) can't take the prices of some of the more rare stuff, although I did score a Falconmaster in shrink before the values went down. :cry:

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:49 am 

Al and Shane:

Thanks for the feedback on JG material.  I guess this wasn't really the correct thread for such a discussion, given the main JG forum on Aceaum, but I appreciate the advice.

I just bought an original Thracia from e-Bay and I'm really looking forward to reading it.  I'm particularly curious about Tegel Manor and the JG T&T dungeon.

Thanks,
Keith

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:12 am 

Keith wrote:Al and Shane:

Thanks for the feedback on JG material. I guess this wasn't really the correct thread for such a discussion, given the main JG forum on Aceaum, but I appreciate the advice.

I just bought an original Thracia from e-Bay and I'm really looking forward to reading it. I'm particularly curious about Tegel Manor and the JG T&T dungeon.

Thanks,
Keith

keith, well a tegal manor comes up from time to time on ebay....you might get lucky? i have a few of them but i dont particularly want to part with them as yet, unless you make me a decent offer :D - i do have some of the T&T dungeon books tho.... (amongst a mass of other stuff)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:51 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:keith, well a tegal manor comes up from time to time on ebay....you might get lucky? i have a few of them but i dont particularly want to part with them as yet, unless you make me a decent offer :D - i do have some of the T&T dungeon books tho.... (amongst a mass of other stuff)

Al

Is it about time I put another one on eBay, do you think?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:51 pm 

Being a young'un (24 :P), I collect mostly 3.5 stuff. I play in a game, run another, so I collect mostly what I use. The game I run is Planescape though, and I own most of what was produced for that setting. Missing a few of the more expensive ones (Dead Gods, Modron March), which I can't justify buying, heh.

But, I've got a lot of stuff from 1st/2nd that I hold onto because I like it. I grew up playing 2nd Ed, so I tend to lean towards that stuff amongst the earlier books. I think my OD&D is 6th printing, so I'm not exactly a big collector  :oops:

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:29 pm 

I'd be interested in hearing about the objections to 3E and 3.5E.

I've only read supplementary material so far (like "Lords of Madness"), but I've enjoyed what I've read.  

Are the objections centered around the d20 system itself, or are the core rulebooks lacking, or is the system fraught with inconsistencies, or some combination thereof?

Keith

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:31 pm 

dathon wrote:Seems quite a few people are talking around the edges of this question... and I've wondered how many folks are also collecting 3.0/3.5 Ed. D&D.

I actually only collect 1st ed. and a few choice bits of Moldvay era BECM stuff, but I did buy some of the FFE books that were ordered destroyed.

Paul

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Saphoo that thoughts aquire speed; the lips aquire stains; the stains become a warning.  It is by will alone I set my mind in motion."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:33 pm 

shadzar wrote:i refuse to acknowledge WotC or Hasbro products as being Dungeon and Dragons, even if they now own the name.

I find this amusing.  I'm certain that in the late '50s there were a lot of people who thought overhead valve engines were a passing phase, and that the flat-head Ford would never be eclipsed in terms of performance!  :P

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Saphoo that thoughts aquire speed; the lips aquire stains; the stains become a warning.  It is by will alone I set my mind in motion."

PreviousNext