Poll: What editions of D&D/AD&D do you collect?
Poll: Which editions of D&D/AD&D do you actively collect?

Original D&D only 4%       4%  [ 3 ]
1st Ed. AD&D only 3%       3%  [ 2 ]
2nd Ed. AD&D only 1%       1%  [ 1 ]
3.0/3.5 D&D only 0%       0%  [ 0 ]
OD&D/1st Ed. AD&D only 30%       30%  [ 21 ]
OD&D/1st Ed. AD&D/2nd Ed. AD&D only 23%       23%  [ 16 ]
OD&D/1st Ed. AD&D/2nd Ed. AD&D/3.0,3.5 D&D (ie. all versions) 30%       30%  [ 21 ]
1st Ed. AD&D/2nd Ed. AD&D only 9%       9%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 70

Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:43 pm 

Seems quite a few people are talking around the edges of this question... and I've wondered how many folks are also collecting 3.0/3.5 Ed. D&D.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:50 pm 

Not me. I hated 2nd edition so much I refuse to even collect anything but the true 1st edition cross over stuff. I've bought and read then sold 3 ed core rules...oh the agony of it all...

Anyway, if I ever finish my old D&D stuff, I'll concentrate on the other game systems from my youth...back in the dark ages. 8O

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:58 pm 

I am not collecting 3ed at all.  I have the only the three core 3.0 rule books and that is all I will have.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:05 pm 

I kinda collect 3rd edition (just a little).  When I saw the books for sale several years ago, I told my wife to get me all the core books for Christmas.  It's what first got me re-interested in D&D.

I've gotten a few other manuals as presents and picked up a few more low grade ones I got in lots.

I still think there are some good ideas in 3E that I would bring over to a 1st edition campaign . . . that is . . . if there ever were even the slightest chance I could play again . . .  :cry:

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:21 am 

I collect it all, even D20 stuff not published by Wizards.  The most recent stuff is good despite the feelings of many here.  Pick up the new draconomicon or return to the temple of elemntal evil,  Great stuff.  My heart is firmly planted in 1st ed though.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:27 am 

Our group plays by the second edition rules (2.0) and I collect things up to the 2.5 (black cover) which I see the turning point of AD&D.

I have some 3.0 stuff, mostly got in lots, but I'm not interested in it - even if the overall quality is vastly superior to the old TSR material.
As I have said before in other posts, I feel that 3rd edition is another RPG.

"It's mint, it's a first print, and it's mine!"

KA-POW

"Not anymore".

YIM  

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:09 am 

I'm definately settling for AD&D 1st and 2nd edition. The really old stuff is just that, too old. Although some of the d20 supplements and some materials from other systems sure help me round out my collection for semi-gaming purposes (stupid thesis :cry: )

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:34 am 

I'm an AD&D completist, started cautiously moving into OD&D territory just weeks ago. Do not collect 3E at the moment, but will certainly do so in the future - maybe next year?

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:15 am 

i just tend to collect the things that i really like. i dont see the point in having something for the sake of having it.

if i appreciate an item and i will look at it / use it etc or i just like it for whatever the reason, then i will go out of my way to collect it for me.

my own personal collection is VERY small, but imho, its a massive collection to me.....

i just cant afford to be a completist....no matter how much i would like to :D

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:36 am 

bbarsh wrote:Not me. I hated 2nd edition so much I refuse to even collect anything but the true 1st edition cross over stuff. I've bought and read then sold 3 ed core rules...oh the agony of it all...

You managed to get through them?  Must have an 18 constitution!

Conveniently enough, I only collect stuff up to about 1990.  The few exceptions to that rule are a couple of 2nd ed. booklets to round out what 1st ed. missed.  (Forgotten Realms hardcover, Monstrous Mythology, big empty Planescape box to hold misc books).  Recently I've been collecting OD&D / mono modules.

YIM  

Prolific Collector
Subweb Admin
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:41 pm 

Mostly 2nd edition, of course... Planescape and all. Though I try to get my hands on all the other things that are similar. I've got Wrath of the Immortals, Tales from the Outer Planes, the original Manual of the Planes, trying to get Set 5: Immortal Rules, etc. Also, (yeah.. ugh..) some of the 3rd edition that applies. It's strange. I've got a few 3rd edition books, but I'm too afraid to open them. *tremble*

Waterdeep? Never heard of it.

-Factol Pentar, Doomguard

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:47 am 

I am a regular DM for D&D 3.5 and OGL and I have many supplements, but I wouldn't call it a "collection", really. More of a "selection", actually.

I never really liked 2E. The rules were just too much of a patchwork that couldn't really please any kind of D&D fan I knew at 100%, whether "old" or "new" schoolers. The only rulebooks worth mentioning for 2E are the "Player's Options" IMO (aside of particular settings). The design idea behind them (customization of the game ad nauseam) was a very nice one.

What I really collect is OD&D and AD&D1E.

Benoist Poiré

Iron Liege for the Iron League

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:24 am 

Can't believe I'm the only person who's listed "Just 1st ed AD&D"

To be accurate, it's Greyhawk (all vers), 1st ed and JG

BJS

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:37 am 

Hallo shiny happy people.
As usual, I am the ignorant of the party!
Shame on me. :?  :?

What do you mean "first", "second" and "third" edition?
I mean: Woodgrain box and white box are "first edition" or Original Dnd? or is it the same?

The five boxed sets (elmore art) which edition are?
And the Gazetter?
The rules cylcopedia and the Wrath of the immortals?
I'm collecting those items.
I dislike 3.5 edition and AD&D (if I'm not wrong ...)

Thank you.
Pity.  :)
Have a nice day
Giorgio

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:01 am 

radagast wrote:What do you mean "first", "second" and "third" edition?
I mean: Woodgrain box and white box are "first edition" or Original Dnd? or is it the same?

I love this question. :)  Only an old-schooler would ask if woodgrains and white box sets are both first ed! :)

I believe by 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, they are referring to AD&D, all of which came out later.  (Ok, minor fib: some white box stuff ran concurrently with 1st Ed. AD&D, but wow will that get confusing.  :roll: )

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:17 am 

I follow the same rule of thumb. AD&D has actual editions and seems to be defined by them.

OD&D (wood box, white box, and supplements) are simply all lumped into the OD&D category.

(basic) D&D is another animal, too. The basic box and the various box sets that came later are simply later printings of the same game. An argument can be made for later games because the Rules Cyclopedia and Challenger Sets can almost be defined as another edition with (substantial) rules changes. But, by and by, you can play a module as new as Phantom's Wake with the old blue book (holmes) system without any modification.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:43 am 

bbarsh wrote:I follow the same rule of thumb. AD&D has actual editions and seems to be defined by them.

OD&D (wood box, white box, and supplements) are simply all lumped into the OD&D category.

(basic) D&D is another animal, too. The basic box and the various box sets that came later are simply later printings of the same game. An argument can be made for later games because the Rules Cyclopedia and Challenger Sets can almost be defined as another edition with (substantial) rules changes. But, by and by, you can play a module as new as Phantom's Wake with the old blue book (holmes) system without any modification.

The Basic/Expert/etc D&D has roughly defined editions as well, that don't seem to match up with the box cover art, just to further confuse things.  

The DCSIII art is 1st (printings 1-3) and 2nd (printings 4-7) edition, the Otus art is 3rd edition, and the red box is 4th edition.  (The Acaeum's basic set page describes it in far more accurate detail than I have here.)

When I think of "3rd Edition D&D", Otus comes to mind, not WotC.  :D

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:38 pm 

Yeah, how to separate all the different versions called D&D in the poll was a challenge.  I decided to keep it simple with just OD&D to mean anything named Dungeons and Dragons before 3.0 came out with the same moniker, Dungeons and Dragons, once again; so OD&D here would include woodgrains, white boxes and all the D&D box sets (basic, expert, etc.) along with the modules series (B, X, etc.).  By no means a perfect compromise but the best I could come up with when there's a maximum of 10 options.  

The thing that has surprised me the most so far is that so many people collect all editions, including 3.0/3.5.  I didn't think there would be many who collected the most recent iteration.  Interesting...  :wink:

Next