more than 500 items short 14%       14%  [ 6 ]
I do not collect this stuff, its crap really!! 7%       7%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 42

Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:25 am 

bclarkie wrote:
bbarsh wrote:
I replace modules from time to time when I come across a nicer copy. The idea is to then sell my previous copy. Problem is that some of those modules were purchased when I was a youth 20+ years ago and I don't want to sell them because they were mine for so long. And in most cases, I ran them once or twice (that's why they are not mint). How could I sell my original B1!!!!!!!!! 8O 8O 8O It was the first module I ever ran.

I have the same problem with all of my original items (about 40 or so) with a few exceptions I still own. I just cant force myself to sell them. Everthing I currently own I have purchased via the internet over the last 6+ years on Ebay &/Or Amazon. These items I have no problem selling off at all as I have no real sentimental attachment to them. But getting rid of my original stuff if I ever decide to do it will be exceptionally difficult. Hell you should see the stack of old Character sheets I still have from when I was in like 5th grade. 8O

I could never get rid of my original stuff.  I have a copy of B2 that has been taped, stapled, and glued back together.  I might decide to bury it someday then maybe 1000 years from now, some archaeologist might unearth it and it will be priceless.

I also have a binder full of old character sheets, graph sheets, and maps.  The maps are all ones that I did for a world that I created.  I fleshed out the names of all the cities, kingdoms, oceans, etc.  When I showed my DM what I had done, he looked at me and pointed to one of the continents and said "That sure looks a lot like Europe."  I told him he didnt know what the heck he was talking about.  In retrospect it actually does.  Maybe I did it subconsciously.   :P

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:07 am 

I collect across most editions although I have no OD&D yet (not through not wanting it, just budget)

My faves are 1st ed AD&D but I probably have mostly 2e and 2.5e.  I must be a sucker for the black edged colours and gold writing (strange as gold and black are my team's football colours).

With 1e if I get an item for the first time its mine.  Second copies go into the collection for my eldest and 3rd copies go to the little one.  That way, when they are old enough they should have a really niceselction of materials to start with.  They already both have the 3 core 1e books and a couple of modules. For some reason I have seem to have loads of Tomb of the Lizard King!  I apply this rule strictly, regardless of condition so the kids may end up with better copies than me until I get the fourth copy to upgrade.

slammer  kintyre, hotfa nap, gripper longshank and  zhod thobi the npc was the party that got me interested

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:36 am 

wthomas wrote:I collect across most editions although I have no OD&D yet (not through not wanting it, just budget)

My faves are 1st ed AD&D but I probably have mostly 2e and 2.5e. I must be a sucker for the black edged colours and gold writing (strange as gold and black are my team's football colours).

With 1e if I get an item for the first time its mine. Second copies go into the collection for my eldest and 3rd copies go to the little one. That way, when they are old enough they should have a really niceselction of materials to start with. They already both have the 3 core 1e books and a couple of modules. For some reason I have seem to have loads of Tomb of the Lizard King! I apply this rule strictly, regardless of condition so the kids may end up with better copies than me until I get the fourth copy to upgrade.

LOL - That's pretty close to what I have done too!  I've been passing down some of the books & modules to the kids.  I've got four girls so anything I give them will be well used by the time they are done...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:04 am 

I think I need 40-50 items from my OD&D/1e AD&D list to finish up.  I've got maybe half that on my 2e list.  There are a lot of 2e items I just don't care to own. *cough..spelljammer..cough*

The Egg

Previous