200-500 items short 12%       12%  [ 5 ]
more than 500 items short 14%       14%  [ 6 ]
I do not collect this stuff, its crap really!! 7%       7%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 42

Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:43 am 

As far as old stuff goes OD&D, 1st edition, 2nd edition, basic TSR stuff, how close are you to completing the collection.  At last count from my numbers there are about 1000 or so different unique items not counting different printings, I am about 11 items from a complete collection missing only the super rare stuff.  So how close are you?  Just published TSR type stuff, not stuff like dwarven glory, POVQ but does include RPGA stuff.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:48 am 

As far as 1st edition published stuff, I only really need GAZ9 Dungon Geos 2 & 3 & outdoor Geos.  I have about 66% of second edition stuff published. I also need almost every Dragon 1-40 and quite a few polyhedrons. I have a lot of duplicates of most 1st edition mods though.  Then there is the rare stuff.......... :evil:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:50 am 

I have tons of duplictes as well, I will get around to selling them someday on Ebay.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:54 am 

Oh, I need to get my grimy hands on so much of the stuff I really can't count - especially if you throw in all the different game worlds and all their supplements.
Just a curio - how many items does a full collection of TSR D&D and AD&D stuff count? Is it 1011?  :lol:

"It's mint, it's a first print, and it's mine!"

KA-POW

"Not anymore".

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:57 am 

I must say the best thing about my stuff is the quality. Roughly 1/2 of everything I own is unopened. The rest is almost all in exellent to NM condition. My desired collection stems pretty far though. I am still working on getting 1st & 2nd Print PHB & MM and a real nice condition 1st Print DMG, a MM softie, both Aussie & UK D1-3 & G1-3, ahhh the list goes on. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:13 pm 

bclarkie wrote:I must say the best thing about my stuff is the quality. Roughly 1/2 of everything I own is unopened. The rest is almost all in exellent to NM condition. My desired collection stems pretty far though. I am still working on getting 1st & 2nd Print PHB & MM and a real nice condition 1st Print DMG, a MM softie, both Aussie & UK D1-3 & G1-3, ahhh the list goes on. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

BC - i have a MM softie here somewhere what i was going to list sometime when i get round to it. not sure of the print tho....if youre interested i can mail you some pics n stuff?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:24 pm 

hey Al - is that the softie you sniped me out of?

Ah - happy days

slammer  kintyre, hotfa nap, gripper longshank and  zhod thobi the npc was the party that got me interested

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:44 pm 

wthomas wrote:hey Al - is that the softie you sniped me out of?

Ah - happy days

hey will!!

i have 2 chummer....one is in my own collection and one to sell when i get off my butt to sort it....

:D  Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:52 pm 

I'm in the 50 - 200 range, but thats including the different print runs.
A lot of those are due to my recent expansion into planescape, ravenloft, al-qadim, and dark sun campaign settings also.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:55 pm 

I'm in that 20 +/- range.

However, I only collect OD&D (just need a wood grain), Basic D&D (only need a OB3) and 1st Ed. (still need plenty) (with a few of the cross over 2nd ed.  items). Also, I don't care about TSR foreign printings. I am not a completist by any stretch.

Most of my stuff is in the near mint to mint range with a mild smattering of shrinks. Shrink is not my thing, but since my collection is not expansive, I do prefer the higher quality. The only big dollar rares I need are OB3, Wood Grain and the RPGA mods. I just started collecting Dragons and need 1-45; minus a few early issues that I picked up somewhere back in time.

I do however, collect a few other things like Metagaming stuff, T&T and have a desire to go after SPI games at some point.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:39 pm 

bbarsh wrote:I'm in that 20 +/- range.

However, I only collect OD&D (just need a wood grain)

Nows your chance, we just listed one. :)

eBay listings

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:34 pm 

I'm trying to be a completist, really I am.

At the rate I'm going, I should have completed 1st and 2nd edition by the time 5th edition hits the shelves.

I actually have a higher percentage of completeness of my 3.x stuff than anything else.

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:52 am 

Blackmoor wrote: Just published TSR type stuff, not stuff like dwarven glory, POVQ but does include RPGA stuff.

What an interesting question.  

For me I believe the collecting will never stop as the rare unpublished peices are more interesting.  Someone like Paul will find some rare peice which has never been seen before and convince its owner to auction it off.   One can only wonder how much Gary has squirrelled away?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:05 am 

My D&D collection only covers modules/supplements that were done by TSR. No Judges Guild or anything like that. No foreign copies either. Just the basics. 75% of what I have is first edition. I only lack a few items (doesnt include the rares) such as DDA3 and 4 and a couple of Known World gazetteers. The rest of my collection is second edition. I really dont care to collect all the second edition items...only stuff I am interested in like the Forgotten Realms reference stuff and Kara-Tur items. Other than that I am pretty satiated.  No 3rd edition for me thank you.

At some point, I may branch out into Judges Guild since I heard how great some items are (Dark Tower, First Fantasy), but with a budget now I am having to cut down drastically on my spending. Looks like I will have to wait a while to get R3 and R4. Anyone have any less than mint copies they want to part with? :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:16 am 

I said I have it all because technically I do, with respect to my originally stated goal of getting all the stuff I had and loved as a kid.  

However, those goalposts have moved SEVERAL times since and the bounds of my collection keep creeping outward.  My wife doesn't even bother to needle me with "But I thought you said you were done with ebay" anymore.  I've even strayed slightly into 2E for "things that would be helpful in my campaign" after sweeping through OD&D "out of historical interest."  :roll:  :wink:  :D

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:30 am 

TSR produced, or endorsed, items have always been my central focus.  Specifically OD&D based ones.  But, I've found myself creeping into other "realms" over the years.  Judges Guild was a big one and Mayfair/Roleaids items.  I also was on a big kick with miniatures for a while.  It's been darn tough to get everything though, especially since new, obscure items, continue to pop up.

The last few years I've been upgrading my lesser quality copies to NM/M/SW, which becomes quite challenging, and more expensive, as they get older.  So, I have a lot of duplicates and different printings.

One of these days I need to lighten the load a little.  Anyone notice that it's tough to start parting with anything extra?  You can always come up with an excuse to hold onto them...

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:10 am 

dbartman wrote:One of these days I need to lighten the load a little. Anyone notice that it's tough to start parting with anything extra? You can always come up with an excuse to hold onto them...

I replace modules from time to time when I come across a nicer copy. The idea is to then sell my previous copy. Problem is that some of those modules were purchased when I was a youth 20+ years ago and I don't want to sell them because they were mine for so long. And in most cases, I ran them once or twice (that's why they are not mint). How could I sell my original B1!!!!!!!!! 8O  8O  8O  It was the first module I ever ran.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:57 am 

bbarsh wrote:
dbartman wrote:One of these days I need to lighten the load a little. Anyone notice that it's tough to start parting with anything extra? You can always come up with an excuse to hold onto them...

I replace modules from time to time when I come across a nicer copy. The idea is to then sell my previous copy. Problem is that some of those modules were purchased when I was a youth 20+ years ago and I don't want to sell them because they were mine for so long. And in most cases, I ran them once or twice (that's why they are not mint). How could I sell my original B1!!!!!!!!! 8O 8O 8O It was the first module I ever ran.

I have the same problem with all of my original items (about 40 or so) with a few exceptions I still own.  I just cant force myself to sell them.  Everthing I currently own I have purchased via the internet over the last 6+ years on Ebay &/Or Amazon.  These items I have no problem selling off at all as I have no real sentimental attachment to them.  But getting rid of my original stuff if I ever decide to do it will be exceptionally difficult. Hell you should see the stack of old Character sheets I still have from when I was in like 5th grade. 8O

Next