D&D trivia!
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:47 am 

In which adventure can be found a copy of the module you are adventuring in (This might be a bit unfair - although the setting is quite prophetic).

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:13 am 

johnhuck wrote:In which adventure can be found a copy of the module you are adventuring in (This might be a bit unfair - although the setting is quite prophetic).

Hmmm, yeah that sounds familiar...I think I've heard about that without having been on that adventure.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:32 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
beyondthebreach wrote:Okay, here's a bunch of questions to mull over. Keep in mind that I am typing these all from memory and haven't bothered to recheck my facts (so I hope I don't embarrass myself and screw something up! :oops: )

1) In the same vein as the earlier "Magic-user spell" question I asked: What is the "unique" Cleric spell in the original Players Handbook that is not a Alteration, Abjuration, Illusion/Phantasm, Conjuration/Summoning, Divination, Evocation, Necromatic or Enchantment/Charm (or combination of thereof) ? What is the type and spell name?

2) What is the only creature in the MM, MM2 or FF that has a movement rate above 48"?

3) A Druid should be always in possession of Greater Misletoe in order to cast spells. If not greater, than lesser or borrowed mistletoe can be used. What other two "components" (both "plant" related) will allow a Druid to cast a spell (albeit with a very reduced spell effectiveness)?
BONUS: What exactly is Greater Mistletoe?

4) What are the names of the caverns from B1 In Search of the Unknown?

5) What are the 3 breath weapons that Bahamut the Platinum Dragon can use?

6) Of the main humanoid races in the Monster Manual (Goblin, Hobgoblin, Ogre, Kobold, Gnoll, Bugbear and Orc), which has the shortest life span? What is the typical lifespan?
Which has the longest lifespan? How old?

7) In the sample dungeon and example of play (in the DMG) the party begins exploration of an abandoned monastery. After exploring several rooms and killing some large spiders, the party encounters some sort of creatures right before the "example of play" ends. What did they encounter?

8 ) What is a marine Hobgoblin called (per Monster Manual)?

5) Chlroine Gas, Fire, or vibrations ray that didintigrates up 150 HP of damage.

7) Ghouls

8 ) Marlinth

8 ) A marine hobgoblin is a Koalinth (Deadlord was pretty close)

7) Ghouls is right

5 ) The vibration ray is correct - the other two are not . . .

Some others that were answered:

2) Quickling is correct

3) Holly and Oak leaves are correct.  Anyone know the special way mistletoe must be harvested to make it Greater Mistletoe?

4) Caves of Chaos are incorrect.

6) Kobold do live the longest (135 years).  The shortest span is . . . ?

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:51 pm 

beyondthebreach wrote:
bclarkie wrote:
5) Chlroine Gas, Fire, or vibrations ray that didintigrates up 150 HP of damage.

7) Ghouls

8 ) Marlinth

8 ) A marine hobgoblin is a Koalinth (Deadlord was pretty close)

7) Ghouls is right

5 ) The vibration ray is correct - the other two are not . . .

Some others that were answered:

2) Quickling is correct

3) Holly and Oak leaves are correct. Anyone know the special way mistletoe must be harvested to make it Greater Mistletoe?

4) Caves of Chaos are incorrect.

6) Kobold do live the longest (135 years). The shortest span is . . . ?

The caverns in B1 are called Caverns of Quasqueton.  And I think Orc live the shortest life span.  30 or 40 years.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:32 pm 

Ah, for some reason I read the Caverns question as B2. I knew the Caverns of Quasqueton too. B1 was my first adventure.
What artifact can be found in the city of liches in H4?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:42 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:Ah, for some reason I read the Caverns question as B2. I knew the Caverns of Quasqueton too. B1 was my first adventure.

Wand of Orcus?

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:19 pm 

Kobolds have the shortest life span of course.

1/2 HD, that is...

:lol:

"It's mint, it's a first print, and it's mine!"

KA-POW

"Not anymore".

YIM  

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:31 pm 

BONUS: What exactly is Greater Mistletoe?

Mistletoe collected on the Winter solstice (or maybe spring equinox?) with some sort of silver cutting utensil.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:52 pm 

beyondthebreach wrote:
Deadlord36 wrote:Ah, for some reason I read the Caverns question as B2. I knew the Caverns of Quasqueton too. B1 was my first adventure.

Wand of Orcus?

I do remember that you don't find the Wand of Orcus until the end and pretty much you have to kill Orcus to get it.  City of Liches...gotta be Hand or Eye of Vecna.  Unless you play H4 after Die Vecna Die! and then it might be the earlobe, big toe, or foreskin of Vecna.  That frickin' Lich gets around more than that drow hussy Eclavdra.  :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:52 pm 

I think it's mistletoe collected at midnight opr some such.
The artifact is the Hand of Vecna.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:56 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:How about Sir Bluto's full name?

Sir Bluto Sans Pite. Now, think back to 9th-grade French ... "sans" ... ringing any bells?

So, you've got a good example of Schick humor here: "Sir Bluto Without Pity."

Hmm, based on Erik Mona's usage of this character in one of his "Absolute Power" Living Greyhawk modules (the first one, "River of Blood"), I thought that "Sans Pite" was supposed to mean "without feet" (in French)???

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:59 am 

KingOfPain wrote:Isn't it Henley's Digit of Disruption? Who the hell is Henley anyway?

Gygax doesn't remember, per the most-recent EGG Q&A thread on ENWorld (someone just asked this about two weeks ago or so).

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:22 am 

grodog wrote:I thought that "Sans Pite" was supposed to mean "without feet" (in French)???

I always thought (and read somewhere; not sure where, at the moment) that this was a little bit of Schick humor (obviously hoping for those on the up-take to pronounce it "pity"). However, perhaps I've been suckered by some sort of D&D urban legend ...

The "pite" doesn't work well in a "straight" French translation, though. It roughly translates to "pita," believe it or not — and, to the French, foot/feet is pied/pieds.

Plus, if he's "without feet," what the hell is he doing in WPM with those Boots of Striding and Springing ...? :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:43 am 

KingOfPain wrote:The first person to get all four questions correct will receive a copy of "Lament for Lost Tharizdun" or a bloody copy of "Dungeons and Dragons: 30 Years of Adventure". Reading either one will make you go completely insane. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

LOL.  I can't name the answers off the top of my head, KoP, but I am curious about your "Lament for Lost Tharizdun" item:  IIRC, that's the title of a book/prayer/paen/something in WG4, but I don't recall it as a product.  Am I missing something??

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:48 am 

grodog wrote:What is the Spell? What is the type (school of magic)?

Hey btb, was I correct?

grodog wrote:Magic Jar (Possession). For the Possession-savvy, who wrote the article in Polyhedron that addressed this anomaly, and created additional Possession school spells? (Hint, it's not Frank Mentzer).

No takers? :D  

HINT:  without consulting a rulebook, you can check the footnotes in my Necromancer class that I recently transcribed and posted to my site....

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:51 am 

johnhuck wrote:In which adventure can be found a copy of the module you are adventuring in (This might be a bit unfair - although the setting is quite prophetic).

EX2, Land Beyond the Magic Mirror???

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:36 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:I always thought (and read somewhere; not sure where, at the moment) that this was a little bit of Schick humor (obviously hoping for those on the up-take to pronounce it "pity"). However, perhaps I've been suckered by some sort of D&D urban legend ...

The "pite" doesn't work well in a "straight" French translation, though. It roughly translates to "pita," believe it or not — and, to the French, foot/feet is pied/pieds.

Plus, if he's "without feet," what the hell is he doing in WPM with those Boots of Striding and Springing ...? :)

In fact, it should read "Pitié", which is "Pity" in french.

The "sans pitié" is a common adjective for villains of the arthurian saga.

:)

"It's mint, it's a first print, and it's mine!"

KA-POW

"Not anymore".

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:02 am 

grodog wrote:
grodog wrote:What is the Spell? What is the type (school of magic)?

Hey btb, was I correct?

grodog wrote:Magic Jar (Possession). For the Possession-savvy, who wrote the article in Polyhedron that addressed this anomaly, and created additional Possession school spells? (Hint, it's not Frank Mentzer).

No takers? :D

HINT: without consulting a rulebook, you can check the footnotes in my Necromancer class that I recently transcribed and posted to my site....

Yes you were correct . . . (incidentally, it has been made a Necromatic spell in 3rd edition).

Don't suppose you know the "unique" type of Cleric spell from the Players Handbook. (HINT: It's a very popular low-level spell)

PreviousNext